Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I tend to believe a ST coach has a lot more to do with coverage and blocking than actual kicks and punts. That kind of stuff is usually on the players to improve. We’ve had some terrible ST coaches in Cleveland but still manage to have good punters. 

uh huh... so Daniel Carlson, as a Viking, misses three kicks in one game, among others. Priefer says it's about his confidence. then Carlson goes to Oakland, figures out his approach should be one step shorter because he's so tall, and misses only one kick out of at least 15 attempts?

and that's not on the coach...?

23 hours ago, swede700 said:

He has the largest say of anyone not named Rick Spielman sure, but he doesn't draft them.  Rick still has all the power.  In the end, it was Rick that put Mike Hughes in a higher bracket than Will Hernandez a year ago, not Zimmer.  

You don't think Zimmer wanted Hughes just as much? If Zimmer wanted Hernandez more than Hughes, whether or not Spielman preferred Hughes or not, he would've signed off on it. He's not the one coaching.

21 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

You don't think Zimmer wanted Hughes just as much? If Zimmer wanted Hernandez more than Hughes, whether or not Spielman preferred Hughes or not, he would've signed off on it. He's not the one coaching.

Coach and GM get together and agree on team building philosophy. It is safe to infer that the philosophy that Zimmer wanted didn't target offensive line as a priority. Spielman has final say but was building the team in the image Zimmer wanted. They have not properly weighed the importance of offensive line.

For all we know Hughes could've been a top-10 prospect on the draft board last year while Hernandez was somewhere between 35-40. We don't know how they had them ranked and never will. 

Has anyone seen any other news about OL coach interviews? Has Philbin's happened yet?

32 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

For all we know Hughes could've been a top-10 prospect on the draft board last year while Hernandez was somewhere between 35-40. We don't know how they had them ranked and never will. 

Exactly!

And I sense that is a large part of the problem. The team is not valuing offensive line on their draft boards as high as it should be relative to its importance to team success.  I think they value the importance of an offensive linemen that is projected to be an average starter about equally to the importance of a LB that is projected to be an average starter. Likewise, I think they value an offensive linemen that they project to be a pro bowl level player about the same as a LB that they project as a pro bowl player.

And that, IMO, is just wrong. That is where things are wrong. Offensive linemen are the most important position players on offense outside QB. 

Just as all would agree that a player that the team projects as the tenth best punter in the league shouldn't be drafted as high as a player that the team projects as the tenth best QB in the league, verily there is a difference between offensive linemen, TEs, RBs, LBers, safeties, CBs, etc...   That is where I see a major shortcoming in how the Vikings stack their draft board.

Is it a reach to draft a OG that you think will be the tenth best OG in the league when there is also a LBer that you think will be the 7th best LBer in the league available? That all comes down to team building philosophy.

I value offensive linemen higher than the Vikings have been valuing them. The fact that other teams in the league draft offensive linemen earlier that the Vikings think they should be drafted informs my thought that other teams in the league place more value on offensive lineman than the Vikings too.

Is the Vikings team building philosophy correct? Results have been mixed. Personally, I think they have close to zero chance of winning the trophy until they alter it to place more importance on the offensive line.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

uh huh... so Daniel Carlson, as a Viking, misses three kicks in one game, among others. Priefer says it's about his confidence. then Carlson goes to Oakland, figures out his approach should be one step shorter because he's so tall, and misses only one kick out of at least 15 attempts?

and that's not on the coach...?

Didn't Carlson say that Priefer and the Vikings tried instilling that exact thing in Carlson but Carlson didn't feel comfortable doing it in a game?

Funny how he took his/their advice when his career was literally on the line in Oakland.....

7 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Didn't Carlson say that Priefer and the Vikings tried instilling that exact thing in Carlson but Carlson didn't feel comfortable doing it in a game?

Funny how he took his/their advice when his career was literally on the line in Oakland.....

i never read that anywhere, if it was published.

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings worked with Carlson on the same technique issue during training camp. An article was written after he had that very bad pre-season game. Also, it was Carlson himself, who said that his issue in Green Bay was mental. At least for the final kick. 

Yeah it was something along those lines.

I guess it's easier to make kicks for a team who doesn't have any purpose to win in non-pressure situations at your bitter rival's stadium in overtime.

Archived