Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

52 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If, and it’s a huge if, Zimmer and the Vikings could land him on the coaching staff as a QB coach/Senior offensive assistant, it would be an unbelievable hire. 

Agreed.  QB coach/assistant head coach would be the target position.  If that's possible (still highly unlikely), that would be huge.  

I like Kubiak, but if he's hired wouldn't it place Stefanski in the position of always looking over his shoulder?  If you hire Kubiak...hire him to be offensive coordinator...and let Stefanski go.  I hope that doesn't happen because I believe Stefanski ought to be given at least year to put together HIS offense without worrying about who's taking his place if he has a bad game.

27 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I like Kubiak, but if he's hired wouldn't it place Stefanski in the position of always looking over his shoulder?  If you hire Kubiak...hire him to be offensive coordinator...and let Stefanski go.  I hope that doesn't happen because I believe Stefanski ought to be given at least year to put together HIS offense without worrying about who's taking his place if he has a bad game.

Why would he be looking over his shoulder? Just because an older guy is behind him in the pecking order?

In any type of job you should never be thinking that.

36 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I wouldn't see that happening. He's been around for 13 years already and has managed to survive multiple coaching changes.  If anything, he's better prepared to handle that situation than most others.

It would be great if the team was able to get Kubiak. He comes with the bonus of no ambition to be a head coach so the team will have the opportunity for continuity in the offensive coaching staff. Last time I felt the team had opportunity for continuity was when Turner was with the Vikings; things didn't work out with him though.

Assuming the Vikings offense looks good next year there is a decent chance Stefanski will be snapped up be a team looking for a young offensive mind. Having Kubiak waiting in the wings to take over as offensive coordinator sounds very nice as it was when the team had Shurmur ready to jump in when Turner left. The difference is Kubiak wouldn't them be promoted away from the team unless his career ambitions change.

Happy with the Kubiak/Kubiak hire. Continuity and experience will help a lot, especially if Stefanski leaves in the next year or two. Plus having him around to be another mentor to Stefanski should bode well. Stefanski has been privileged to work around a lot a very different offensive minds, good and bad. DeFilippo, Turner, Shurmur, Childress, Musgrave, Bevell... that's a lot of offensive football knowledge that will help Stefanski create a playbook and call plays on gameday, and Kubiak only will add to all of that.

With Kubiak, we'll also get to see a new group of coaches come into house, though I am unfamiliar with Dennison and Pariani. If they bring solid backgrounds and track records, then this hire seems very solid. Assuming it's true that Dennison will come in to coach the OL, then I suppose the Philbin/Grimm hopes are out the window.

Archived