Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

16-0.

Book it, boys. Book it.

Kidding aside (15-1 is more realistic)....This is pretty great. Zimmer is going to have a former offensive minded HC who has seen EVERYTHING but won't be pre-occupied with calling plays standing right next to him during the games. He can run the offensive side of the ball and teach Stefanki (as a former OC) while Zimmer keeps most his focus on the defense. Pretty much what we need since Zimmer seems to want to spend most his time on defense.

This is a good hire.

It it works out, I will praise Kubiak for having the courage to come back from health problems to an unfamiliar environment. If it doesn't work out, I will criticize him for blatant nepotism and demanding we bring his flunkies along. :D

Dennison was the o-line coach for the mid-2000s Broncos and the 2018 Jets. He worked with Kubiak as the Texans' OC in the early 2010s. Pariani has over 20 years of experience as a TE coach with the Broncos, Texans, and Ravens. Klint worked for us as an assistant WR and quality control coach in 2013 and 2014.

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

This is like having your (Zimmer) buddies ex-wife (Kubiak) hang around your girlfriend (Stefanski) to teach her the ways of being a good wife.

That works?

Why didn't I think of doing that? Is it too late after you are multiple decades into marriage?

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Love the Kubiak hire, but I’m not sure how I feel about them being in Rick Dennison as the O-Line coach. 

From everything I can find, Dennison seems to be a little bit dated, and becoming progressively less successful in the later parts of his career. That being said, he hasn't been a part of great teams lately, and he has been an OC more often than an OL coach recently. Definitely a zone run/block scheme type of guy, which seems like it would fit the general mold of what running scheme we are going for on offense. Honestly, i'm more curious about his developmental ability. Scheme is huge, but scheme only matters so much if you don't have guys who can perform the task. O-Line is easily one of, if not our weakest position group. We are going to have to expend significant draft capital and/or cap room in FA to acquire talent, but it only gets easier if we are able to develop what we have in house, and if we can actually make something of those draft picks. This is where I am most hazy on Dennison: I really don't know how he has done with developing linemen.

The Vikings also announced they hired Brian Pariani as tight ends coach.

Pariani has more than 20 years experience coaching tight ends, most of it with Gary Kubiak. From 1994-2016, Pariani worked every season alongside Kubiak, with the exception of the 2005 season, when Pariani was at Syracuse. Pariani previously coached the tight ends position with Denver from 1995-2004 and again from 2015-16. He also spent time as the tight ends coach for the Texans (2006-13) and for one season with the Ravens in 2014.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/14/vikings-hire-brian-pariani-as-tight-ends-coach/

Archived