Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

14 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I have a feeling that anyone with his years of experience could run whatever blocking scheme the OC wants him to run.  He might prefer one scheme over another, but I would wager he could coach what's called for...at least, I hope.

An experienced math teacher can probably teach a history class, but that doesn’t mean they’d be a very good history teacher. 

32 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

An experienced math teacher can probably teach a history class, but that doesn’t mean they’d be a very good history teacher. 

I've heard some horror stories about those exact types of issues.  Most often that's why some teachers only teach to a test or reiterate what's in the book, because they don't know enough about the subject to be able to be good at teaching it.    

17 minutes ago, RpMc said:

It wasn't just Nelson; they had a rookie starting at right tackle that they drafted to be a guard, Castanzo had his best year, they dealt with a lot of injuries and got excellent play out of their interior replacements in Boehm and Glowinski

It would be worth interviewing him simply to try and get some insider knowledge on the pending free agent.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes, but man blocking scheme and zone blocking scheme are in the same category!  I would imagine that someone who teaches world history and make it interesting could also do a commendable job of making US history interesting as well.

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

Speaking from my personal experience, zone blocking is much easier to teach than man blocking as well.  Regardless of if you're using a numbered, gap, or some system that's a combinatio of both.

I concur. Also, to add to this, speaking from my personal experience, zone blocking is much easier to teach than trying to teach math.

I guess I’m not all the enamored with DeGuglielmo. Yes, the Colts had a very impressive year, and their o-line played well, but how much of that was due to DeGuglielmo and how much was due to Reich? 

How good is DeGuglielmo, really? His track record before this past year is not very impressive, with a number of one year stints. Honestly, with the success that the Colts o-Line has this year it says a lot that Reich was still willing to fire him.

I feel like the talk about him is the typical short sighted over reaction that we normally see from the NFL. 

Archived