Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

Maalouf had been assistant special teams coach of the Dolphins since 2013. He worked under Darren Rizzi, another potential target for the Vikings as STC. In 2018 Miami’s special teams units ranked 22nd in the NFL per Pro Football Focus. In 2017 they ranked 6th.

Maalouf does have one year of experience as a Special Teams Coordinator. He spent the 2012 season in the lead role for the Indianapolis Colts. Prior to joining the Colts, Maalouf was the Assistant Special Teams Coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 2008-2011. He spent his first three years coaching in the NFL as a Special Teams Quality Control Coach for the Cleveland Browns (2004-2006).

While his name might be unfamiliar, Maalouf has been a part of some excellent special teams units. He’s also worked with some standout players, including Adam Vinatieri (IND), Pat McAfee (IND), Joshua Cribbs (CLE), Sam Koch (BAL), and David Reed (BAL). Special teams ace Brendon Ayanbadejo (BAL), punter Brandon Fields (MIA) and kicker Billy Cundiff (BAL) have all enjoyed Pro Bowl seasons while working with Maalouf.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2019/general-news/report-vikings-hire-marwan-maalouf-as-special-teams-coordinator

31 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He's done a good job at all his stops in the past, so we'll see.  I read his profile at the Dolphins site and one notable comment that was in there was about how when he was the ST coach for the Colts in 2012, Vinatieri made the longest game winning kick of his career at 53 yds against the Vikings.  I think that was the game I was at.  :D

49 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Maybe it is just me but it kind of sucks the Vikings aren't interviewing many candidates for the OL vacancy. 1 confirmed interview with Philbin.

Well, we already know who the goal is, it's Rick Dennison...and there's still the possibility that Barone will get the job full-time. I'm not sure there are that many other qualified candidates out there.

With Kubiak on board I don’t think that the OL coach becomes all that much of a concern. I doubt that they’ll be looking for a coach who can design and install a run game, as well as teach the o-linemen. With Kubiak, you’re more than likely now just looking for a OL coach who can teach. 

14 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is Minnesota a more attractive spot for a prospective coach to go to over Green Bay right now?

That's hard to say because next to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, there isn't another team in the NFL where a coach is virtually guaranteed to have stability in his job like in Green Bay.  They just don't turn over that many coaches.   

52 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's hard to say because next to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, there isn't another team in the NFL where a coach is virtually guaranteed to have stability in his job like in Green Bay.  They just don't turn over that many coaches.   

That's true, but it also helps stability when you have 27 years of hall of fame level quarterbacking like the Packers have. If Rodgers declines or retires over the next few years and they have a couple of 5-11 seasons I bet their coaches will turn over more quickly.

Archived