Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I really don’t care who the OC is, just as long as they are a coach who can tailor the offense to the personnel on the roster. 

Without getting into the nitty-gritty this is what we should be after. Round-peg, round-hole type of attitude.

Interesting angle on a potential Mularkey hiring:  https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/6/18170841/russ-grimm-part-potential-mike-mularkey-hiring-minnesota-vikings

After an outstanding career as part of the legendary “Hogs” that won three Super Bowls for the Washington Redskins, Grimm retired and joined the coaching ranks. He’s been an offensive line coach for four different teams. . .the Redskins, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Arizona Cardinals, and the Tennessee Titans. . .and has been nothing short of outstanding in all of those spots. When Mularkey took over as the coach of the Titans in 2016, he brought Grimm with him to coach the offensive line, and he transformed the Titans’ offensive line from one of the NFL’s worst to one of its best.

Grimm announced his retirement after Mularkey was relieved of his duties in Tennessee after the 2017 season, but he’s taken breaks from coaching before. After the entire coaching staff in Arizona was dismissed following the 2012 season, Grimm was out of coaching until he joined Mularkey in Tennessee in 2016. Perhaps if Mularkey was hired as an offensive coordinator in Minnesota (or anywhere else, really), he would be able to convince Grimm to join him on the sideline again.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Does anyone know anything about Mularkey as an OC (scheme, tendencies, etc)?

Also FYI - he was a TE for the Vikings for 6 years in the 80's. 

Makes sense they would go after him. He's a former HC so Zimmer should be able to lean on him to manage the offense. Also, the fact that he failed once as a HC could scare teams off from hiring him in that capacity again. Though Shurmur got a second chance.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Makes sense they would go after him. He's a former HC so Zimmer should be able to lean on him to manage the offense. Also, the fact that he failed once as a HC could scare teams off from hiring him in that capacity again. Though Shurmur got a second chance.

After 3 terrible outings as a HC, I can't see anyone giving Mularkey a serious look again anytime soon

7 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Kliff Kingsbury is reportedly interviewing with teams, which means he probably resigned at USC. Do you think he'd be worth the risk? That would certainly qualify as, "innovative."

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the risk.  Their is such a big difference between college football and the professional level.  The innovation from the college level rarely translates well to the pros...Chip Kelley comes to mind.

9 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

If this were 2021, after Cousins' contract, and we were looking for a new HC I'd probably be all for it.

There's a huge difference between "innovative" and "gimmicky."  And KK's offense isn't innovative.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There's a huge difference between "innovative" and "gimmicky."  And KK's offense isn't innovative.

Fair enough, I don't really know anything about him or his offense. He must be doing something that is catching the eyes of NFL FO's.

5 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the risk.  Their is such a big difference between college football and the professional level.  The innovation from the college level rarely translates well to the pros...Chip Kelley comes to mind.

I mean his offense is FAR different than Chip Kelly’s. We wouldn’t exactly be running 100 MPH

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

We really haven’t actually seen anything like his offense in the NFL yet. Basically a big spread with down the field passing, and weird zone concept runs.

While we can call it gimmicky, it also would be innovative. 

I brought him up after our last game and got shut down. I still think he would bring something different to the NFL. Maybe not for the Vikings, but if he had a young big arm QB it sure would be interesting. 

Also no way he would resign to become a NFL OC, probably only a HC.

Archived