Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Every one was an inexperienced coordinator at one time.  And no, it isn't how they ended up in this situation.  JDF had experience, just not great ones.  And they've had several experienced coordinators who also failed.  What matters is whether Stef is the right one or not, not his experience.  If anything, he probably is the most prepared for the job considering how many different people he's worked under, including Zimmer himself.   

Norv Turner (39 years old) wasn't much older than Stefanski is right now when he got his first NFL OC job with the Cowboys.  He won the Super Bowl a year later. 

In the end, he might fail, but his experience or lack of it (as far as you are concerned), I don't believe, is going to be a factor in it.  There are far more pros than cons in his hiring.  

I just can't help but wonder how his pros and cons stacked up to DeFilippo's last year and why Stefanski was passed over last year but got the job now. Seems like a miss, I can't imagine that much has changed for Stefanski, he got the job on an interim basis for a handful of games and the results were mostly mixed.

We beat a bad Detroit team (though what if the hailmary never happened?), ran all over Miami and didn't show up against Chicago. Could argue that the offense didn't show up for 2/3 games.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I just can't help but wonder how his pros and cons stacked up to DeFilippo's last year and why Stefanski was passed over last year but got the job now. Seems like a miss, I can't imagine that much has changed for Stefanski, he got the job on an interim basis for a handful of games and the results were mostly mixed.

We beat a bad Detroit team (though what if the hailmary never happened?), ran all over Miami and didn't show up against Chicago. Could argue that the offense didn't show up for 2/3 games.

The big difference is that Zimmer is familiar with Stefanski, he's not hiring someone he doesn't know.  To some degree Defillipo may been scapegoated anyway.  Zimmer wanted to fix the offense, so he made the only major move he could, whether that was the issue or not.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe JDF just wowed him in the interview process.  I don't know.  As far as what happened in the last 3 games, it's difficult to use that as a complete judgment because it wasn't his playbook. Shurmur's offense wasn't really that good either when he took over for Norv halfway through the year, but with an entire offseason at his disposal he took them from 27th to 5th.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Maybe JDF just wowed him in the interview process.  I don't know.  As far as what happened in the last 3 games, it's difficult to use that as a complete judgment because it wasn't his playbook. Shurmur's offense wasn't really that good either when he took over for Norv halfway through the year, but with an entire offseason at his disposal he took them from 27th to 5th.  

That's a fair point. I'm just trying to figure out what elevated Stefanski in one season when the offense was a huge problem. Going back to coach Chilly's offense, the offense has been an issue outside of a few random years. Stefanski has been here this entire time. Either no one listened to him or he didn't have any stand out ideas. 

I don't know how much stock I want to put into the interim period for Stefanski. 

Were people happy with Shurmer's interim period and excited to have him back at OC in 2017? Everyone was skeptical but the popular line at the time was "let's see what he can do with a full offseason to implement his playbook" or something to that effect. Why not do the same for Stefanski? 

4 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I don't know how much stock I want to put into the interim period for Stefanski. 

Were people happy with Shurmer's interim period and excited to have him back at OC in 2017? Everyone was skeptical but the popular line at the time was "let's see what he can do with a full offseason to implement his playbook" or something to that effect. Why not do the same for Stefanski? 

Yes.  He's hired now...let's see what he can do running his own version of the playbook.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm just trying to figure out what elevated Stefanski in one season when the offense was a huge problem.

I don’t think anything needed to elevate Stefanski. He’s been part of the plan all along, otherwise they wouldn’t have blocked him from heading to New York. 

Personally, I think the team chose to go after JDF as a way to try and further entice Cousins into signing with Minnesota. And even then it was fairly obvious that JDF was going to be a one and done coordinator with the Vikings, granted under different circumstances. 

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

So...with a whole offseason, what do we expect to see from a "Stefanski" offense?  Is the playbook going to be more Shurmur-like?  What could he potentially take from Norv, JDF or even Musgrave/Bevell?  

Stefanski goes all the way back to the days of Chilly.  Maybe that means a return to the K.A.O.!    B|

Archived