Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like Kubiak, but why did we have to bring his crew with him?

For continuity?

For what it's worth, it seems like the two guys that have come with Kubiak are lateral moves, if not upgrades. Brian Pariani going to the TE group seems like a win, as he has been the coach for a number of fantastic tight ends, which hopefully means he can develop new TE's and get the most out of the guys on the roster. Kubiak's son, who was a coach with us previously, will be the QB coach, and his impact is a bit more unknown. It would be fair to say that daddy Kubiak and Stefanski will both have a heavy hand in coaching the QB position.

43 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

HC: Mike Zimmer

OC: Kevin Stefanski

OA: Gary Kubiak

QB: Klint Kubiak

OL: Clancy Barone?

RB: Kennedy Polamalu

TE: Brian Pariani

WR: ???

DC: George Edwards

DL: Andre Patterson

LB: Adam Zimmer

DB: Jerry Gray

ST: ???

Courtney Cronin was surmising earlier today that assistant WR coach Petzing could get the full gig. No clue if true.

15 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I concur. Also, to add to this, speaking from my personal experience, zone blocking is much easier to teach than trying to teach math.

I've never taught anyone zone blocking, so I can't really preach on that point, but while teaching math isn't necessarily easy, it's not nearly as difficult as some people make it.  Although...with this dumb "Common Core" nonsensical method that they've been teaching kids these days, they've made it far more difficult than it needs to be.  xD

12 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

For what it's worth, it seems like the two guys that have come with Kubiak are lateral moves, if not upgrades. Brian Pariani going to the TE group seems like a win, as he has been the coach for a number of fantastic tight ends, which hopefully means he can develop new TE's and get the most out of the guys on the roster. Kubiak's son, who was a coach with us previously, will be the QB coach, and his impact is a bit more unknown. It would be fair to say that daddy Kubiak and Stefanski will both have a heavy hand in coaching the QB position.

If anything, at least will give them some kind of identity on offense, something they've truly been lacking for most of the time Zimmer has been here.  While Klint coached receivers the last time he was here, he's been QB-heavy for the last 3 years, most specifically under Musgrave (what goes around, comes around, eh?).  Gary will probably be more closely working with Stefanski (and even Zimmer) on an overall offensive plan, providing advice where needed...it will allow him to have some input without putting a strain on him health-wise.  

To go back to a few pages ago. You dont see players like Quenton Nelson speaking up unless he truly believes that Dave DeGuglielmo has not acted in the manner described. With that being said, DeGuglielmo would be such a boon for the Vikings seeing what he did for Indy. I'd really love to bring in a coach of his caliber to coach the o-line. 

Has anyone heard anything on the ST side of things for our next coach there?

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He came in with JDF, so I’m guessing he’ll find his way to Jacksonville. 

He certainly might, but depending upon what happens with Garrett in Dallas, he could join Linehan's staff there, or he could also end up whereever Musgrave ends up, since he's spent more time with them than he had with JDF.  

17 minutes ago, vikings209 said:

Why are all the offensive coaches turning down contracts with us? Do they not trust Zim or Stef? I can't remember a turnover in coaching staff this big without the HC being changed. 

I believe it is a mix of Mike Zimmer operating on the last year of his contract along with the lack of freedom an offensive coach will get under a Mike Zimmer led team -- offensive guys often don't align philosophically with Mike Zimmer's vision for the Vikings (which is why Norv Turner resigned iirc).

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I believe it is a mix of Mike Zimmer operating on the last year of his contract along with the lack of freedom an offensive coach will get under a Mike Zimmer led team -- offensive guys often don't align philosophically with Mike Zimmer's vision for the Vikings (which is why Norv Turner resigned iirc).

It almost seems like we're desperate.

1 minute ago, vikings209 said:

It almost seems like we're desperate.

That is also a side effect of Mike Zimmer, along with Rick Spielman, being on the last year of their contract. They have to know that if things do not improve that they will be looking for a new job. If they are indeed desperate it may be rightfully so.

An offensive mind likely does not see a mandate to call a run oriented offense fun. Also, an offensive mind that wants to improve their long-term job prospects likely will not see being the front man for a run first offense as an ideal resume builder.

The offensive minds with options have good reason to prefer a different situation.

Archived