Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vike daddy

Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

The reality of our situation is we're paying a guy like a top 3 QB that needs to be propped up by everyone around him, not the other way around like we were hoping.

I don't view it as really necessary that he be "propped" up, per se.  I view it as making it so he can be at his most successful.  You may say that it's just semantics, but everyone knew (or should have known) that he wasn't going to be perfect...that he was going to make "Kurt" throws.  But, we also knew that when he was going, he would be pretty darn good and could prop up others (as he did in the Rams and Packers games)...it's just that he can't do that on a week-to-week basis like the Cheeseheads to the East can count on their QB to do.  That's where the supporting cast has to come in.

Maybe you can say that's what a $28M QB should be able to do, which is a fair argument if you're debating whether they should have signed him as a FA, but the reality is that that's what the market rate was, and that other teams (like the Jets) were willing to pay even more.  It was a risk, certainly, and it wasn't necessarily the decision I would have made (as I personally would have just kept Teddy and let him compete with a drafted QB or a lower-priced FA), but the contract is for only 2 more years...it's a risk that's not all that bad to take, because if it doesn't work out, at least they're not on the hook contractually until 2023 or 2024.  

Edited by swede700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's correct to think that Kirk needs a quality supporting cast around him...especially along the line.  It is my hope that the Vikings add a sports psychologist to the supporting cast.  Kirks best games were early in the season, when there was less pressure.  He seemed to get worse with each passing week.  This suggests to me that he began to feel the pressure mentally as the Vikings tried to mount a playoff drive...and his game suffered.  I think a significant part of Kirks problem is that he's in his head to much and suffers from anxiety.  If he could learn to R-E-L-A-X, like a certain qb to the east, I think he could help the Vikings.  But, he needs help first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cousins is the level of QB who is going to make the receivers around him better as he’s a very accurate thrower with good anticipation and timing. But he is not the level of QB who will make his offensive line look better.

Fix the line, and all will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Cousins is the level of QB who is going to make the receivers around him better as he’s a very accurate thrower with good anticipation and timing. But he is not the level of QB who will make his offensive line look better.

Fix the line, and all will be fine.

I mean, they didnt look all that good against quality teams or when the season was on the line. The accuracy is a plus but you could argue that he makes the OL look worse than they really are given his struggles in the pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every QB needs a supporting cast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zimmer:  "It has been outstanding, unbelievable. I’ve been so impressed with the way Kevin Stefanski has been running the room, the comments that Gary makes about a lot of the things that went on with the system and the way that they’ve done things with that offense. The way that Gary talks about, you know, it’s almost romantic for me that I can sit there – there’s a sound bite for ya – that I can sit there and hear about Bill Walsh and that offense and how it evolved with Mike Shanahan and so on. For me as a football guy, all those things are just outstanding. How this came about, how that came about, how his play worked in this particular situation, and the way they’re putting this all together.”

“I couldn’t be any happier with the way that situation’s been going.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/zimmer-says-offensive-meetings-almost-romantic-for-me?sf208688215=1

 

serious bromance going on with Zimmer and his guys, it appears...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Zimmer:  "It has been outstanding, unbelievable. I’ve been so impressed with the way Kevin Stefanski has been running the room, the comments that Gary makes about a lot of the things that went on with the system and the way that they’ve done things with that offense. The way that Gary talks about, you know, it’s almost romantic for me that I can sit there – there’s a sound bite for ya – that I can sit there and hear about Bill Walsh and that offense and how it evolved with Mike Shanahan and so on. For me as a football guy, all those things are just outstanding. How this came about, how that came about, how his play worked in this particular situation, and the way they’re putting this all together.”

“I couldn’t be any happier with the way that situation’s been going.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/zimmer-says-offensive-meetings-almost-romantic-for-me?sf208688215=1

 

serious bromance going on with Zimmer and his guys, it appears...

Well, it's certainly become clearer how he and JDF were just never on the same page.  If you ever get a chance you'll have to listen to the podcast of PA's show yesterday, where they sort of discussed the situation of how gushing he was of Kubiak and how they hit it off right away because of Kubiak's experience.  Zim just likes the experienced and no-ego guys, guys that are willing to sit down and shoot the <bleep> so-to-speak.  He and JDF never truly were at that level, it was always football talk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Klomp said:

Every QB needs a supporting cast. 

Some need much more of it than others. You've just hope the level of compensation reflects this. 

For this offense to be successful, we've really got to add two good starting OL through the draft this year, improve the offense cheaply so we can afford a veteran top 3 defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s pretty typical from an OL coach... gameplan the runs for the week, and have the OC call the plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who’s the OC again? Lol

Stefanski welcomed Kubiak joining on, they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RpMc said:

That’s pretty typical from an OL coach... gameplan the runs for the week, and have the OC call the plays. 

I’m well aware. It’s just funny that Stefanski has rarely been mentioned, and outlets are even mistakenly labeling Kubiak as the OC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m well aware. It’s just funny that Stefanski has rarely been mentioned, and outlets are even mistakenly labeling Kubiak as the OC. 

Fair, but if I was looking for information specifically on Dennison, I wouldn’t go to Stefasnki for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×