Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

16 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Philbin is interesting. Zimmer loves former HCs on his staff.

I think it would be great because he would bring a pure zone scheme here to us. Instead of a mix of power zones like we have here, which is so outdated in today’s NFL with the talent levels of OL and DL’s

6 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I don't know how much stock I want to put into the interim period for Stefanski. 

Were people happy with Shurmer's interim period and excited to have him back at OC in 2017? Everyone was skeptical but the popular line at the time was "let's see what he can do with a full offseason to implement his playbook" or something to that effect. Why not do the same for Stefanski? 

I put almost none.

Offense looked great against Miami. Above-average against Detroit. Dreadful against Chicago.

Pretty much par for the course of the season.

The best OC in the history of the sport couldn't have salvaged much in 3 games. Maybe a half a season but the guy was stuck with what JDF laid for a foundation. All he could do is rearrange the living room to make it look better. Same crap, different spot.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I would be very happy with Philbin as the OL coach. I was hoping for Campen, but Philbin might even be better. He’s not just a great teacher, but he’s a solid x’s & o’s guy, which should benefit the run game even more. 

And head coach experience. Zimmer loves that. 

I think I would still make a strong push to bring Russ Grimm out of retirement.  His line improved wherever he's been a coach.  Philbin doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence...and, I wonder if his presence would mean that Stefanski would constantly looking over his shoulder.  If Stefanski is the "guy," you've almost have to give him a year where he can focus on his job rather than saving his job.

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think I would still make a strong push to bring Russ Grimm out of retirement.  His line improved wherever he's been a coach.  Philbin doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence...and, I wonder if his presence would mean that Stefanski would constantly looking over his shoulder.  If Stefanski is the "guy," you've almost have to give him a year where he can focus on his job rather than saving his job.

That's a good point. Although maybe Philbin is at the point in his career where he is totally happy going back to his roots and being a position coach like Sparano was. With Stefanski surviving so many different regimes, I hope he has enough confidence to feel secure and use the resources around him.

19 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Zimmer is obviously comfortable with Stefanski.

Zimmer: “Kevin is a smart young coach with a bright future. I’m happy to have him take over the offensive coordinator job. His work ethic and teaching ability have been obvious to me behind the scenes since I came here five years ago. He’s well respected by coaches and players both and I know he’s up to the task.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/vikings-announce-kevin-stefanskis-return/

Archived