Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

Stefanski was asked if he thought Kubiak’s experience working with Mike and Kyle Shanahan would be a plus to his work with Cousins, who opened his career with the Shanahans in Washington.

Stefanski:  “I think that all helps. It’s no secret Kirk came up under both coach Shanahans and had some success in that system. There are a lot of similarities then to what we are doing moving forward. There are a couple, obviously you evolve I would hope year-to-year and I hope really week-to-week that our offense looks different.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/21/kevin-stefanski-gary-kubiaks-history-with-shanahans-can-help-kirk-cousins/

Mike Shanahan: “Both guys [Stefanski and Kubiak] are very easy to work with, both are extremely bright, have great work ethics and I think both will work together perfectly. You have the right quarterback there. Not everybody can see that, but hopefully when they get him a supporting cast, people will see that.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/24/mike-shanahan-kirk-cousins-right-qb-for-vikings-but-supporting-cast-has-to-improve/

On 2/24/2019 at 9:42 AM, vike daddy said:

Mike Shanahan: “Both guys [Stefanski and Kubiak] are very easy to work with, both are extremely bright, have great work ethics and I think both will work together perfectly. You have the right quarterback there. Not everybody can see that, but hopefully when they get him a supporting cast, people will see that.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/24/mike-shanahan-kirk-cousins-right-qb-for-vikings-but-supporting-cast-has-to-improve/

Supporting cast? Ok.....

4 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

The reality of our situation is we're paying a guy like a top 3 QB that needs to be propped up by everyone around him, not the other way around like we were hoping.

Cousins won't have a top 3 salary for long. But this is mostly right. It's hard to pay a QB top 3 money yet still have the resources to build up a strong supporting cast around him on offense. All while fielding a top 3 defense full of veterans on second and third contracts.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Cousins won't have a top 3 salary for long. But this is mostly right. It's hard to pay a QB top 3 money yet still have the resources to build up a strong supporting cast around him on offense. All while fielding a top 3 defense full of veterans on second and third contracts.

I mean he is being paid like a top 3 QB right now though...

37 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I mean he is being paid like a top 3 QB right now though...

Right now is practically all that matters when he is in the second year of a three year contract. It isn't like the team years on the back end of the contract to justify the higher relative prices on the front end. Cousins and his contract is clearly a terrible value for the Vikings. However, that isn't the end of the world. Most first wave free agents are a terrible deal. The question is, at which positions do you want to get value and at which positions is a team willing to overpay. I think that QB is a fine choice of position to overpay. Sure, the team is overpaying the QB more than I  would like but at least they aren't giving $15M to a RB.

On offense, QB and OL are the areas where a team should prioritize their above market contracts. The rest of the offense can be moving pieces the team gets for value year-to-year to offset overpaying for QB and OL.  It is just a matter of a team's philosophy how to prioritize which positions to pay above market and which to pay under market. All team's have the same cap. As much as I like a lot of the things that Spileman does I have really disliked how he values the positions.

Archived