Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

What would a run first approach mean for our Oline? Even thought we all agree it already needs a revamp would we now need a complete revamp? Would a heavy run attack make it easier for the Oline to be successful and in turn Cousins?

Im with rmp if Mularkey can bring Grimm along with him I'm completely on board. Zimmer definitely needs someone that shares the same philosophy as him and at first glance Mularkey seems to fit the bill.

10 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

What would a run first approach mean for our Oline? Even thought we all agree it already needs a revamp would we now need a complete revamp? Would a heavy run attack make it easier for the Oline to be successful and in turn Cousins?

Im with rmp if Mularkey can bring Grimm along with him I'm completely on board. Zimmer definitely needs someone that shares the same philosophy as him and at first glance Mularkey seems to fit the bill.

I mean on the surface it would help a ton. It makes pass protection so much easier if you are an effective run heavy offense. Look at the Seahawks this year! Granted, Russell Wilson covers up a ton. In 2017, Kirk Cousins led the league with a 124.4 passer rating on play action passes. I can't find the numbers for this year, but I don't think he was that good and we didn't seem to run very much, or at least very effectively.

If Elflein can return to rookie form or better and we can get a RG that can move in space that will be huge. Having athletes like Elflein and O'Neill with another guy that can move on the right would be huge. If we can consistently run stretch plays with Dalvin to the right and be able to run play action off of it, that seems like a recipe for success.

4 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I mean on the surface it would help a ton. It makes pass protection so much easier if you are an effective run heavy offense. Look at the Seahawks this year! Granted, Russell Wilson covers up a ton. In 2017, Kirk Cousins led the league with a 124.4 passer rating on play action passes. I can't find the numbers for this year, but I don't think he was that good and we didn't seem to run very much, or at least very effectively.

If Elflein can return to rookie form or better and we can get a RG that can move in space that will be huge. Having athletes like Elflein and O'Neill with another guy that can move on the right would be huge. If we can consistently run stretch plays with Dalvin to the right and be able to run play action off of it, that seems like a recipe for success.

Looking into it further, it looks like the Vikings ran play action 20% of the time, good for 24th in the league. On those plays, we gained 8.2 yards per play, good for 12th in the league. Of non-play action passes we gained 6.2 yards per play, good for 23rd in the league. So we were more efficient on play action, we just didn't run it much.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/2017/rotopass-play-action-offense-charting

8 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I could see him get a short extension but that wouldn't necessarily take him off the hot seat

Zim had a jab at his contract joking about being a free agent next year.  I'm sure management felt a twang of nervousness at that.  A short extension  might just be in the works like you say!

1 hour ago, Bermuda Viking said:

With Stefanski I think he wanted the Giants OC job last year and resented the block.  He can't have ruled out the Vikings but he has to look at a HC position if there is one out there and that will take longer than Tuesday to figure out.

I’d have to imagine we would’ve heard about more HC interviews by now if teams were interested in Stefanski for that. 

I really don’t care who the OC is, just as long as they are a coach who can tailor the offense to the personnel on the roster. 

Norv Turner is an outstanding offensive mind, but he couldn’t/can’t seem to adjust his scheme to fit the players he has, and that led to a very ineffective offense. John DeFilippo seemed to fit the same mold as Turner, and it didn’t work out. 

I don’t think anyone is going to call Pat Shurmur an offensive X’s and O’s genius, but his strength is being able to create an offensive plan with the players that he has. And it worked very well for the Vikings. 

I don’t need the next X’s and O’s genius. Just give me a coach who can work out the players that he has in the best position to succeed. If that’s Kevin Stefanski, great! If that’s Mike Mularky, great! If that’s Hue Jackson, I’ll be skeptical, but thrilled. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:19 AM, RpMc said:

Half changing my mind on Mularkey... if he can get Russ Grimm to unretire and come coach the offensive line. 

Heck...I'd settle for Grimm coming back and playing!  He's in his 60's now, but probably still better then any lineman on the roster!

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I really don’t care who the OC is, just as long as they are a coach who can tailor the offense to the personnel on the roster. 

Norv Turner is an outstanding offensive mind, but he couldn’t/can’t seem to adjust his scheme to fit the players he has, and that led to a very ineffective offense. John DeFilippo seemed to fit the same mold as Turner, and it didn’t work out. 

I don’t think anyone is going to call Pat Shurmur an offensive X’s and O’s genius, but his strength is being able to create an offensive plan with the players that he has. And it worked very well for the Vikings. 

I don’t need the next X’s and O’s genius. Just give me a coach who can work out the players that he has in the best position to succeed. If that’s Kevin Stefanski, great! If that’s Mike Mularky, great! If that’s Hue Jackson, I’ll be skeptical, but thrilled. 

I agree with everything you've said, except for the bolded.  Turner WAS an outstanding offensive mind in the early and mid '90's.  He's mediocre at best presently.

Archived