Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

I still think it’s Stefanski, unless Cleveland hires him to be their head coach.

3 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this second interview with the Browns leads to an offer for Stefanski to join the Browns as a coach on the staff of eventual head coach Freddie Kitchens.

It would actually surprise me. I have a hard time believing that a coach who has methodically worked up the coaching ladder, and patiently waited for his time would turn down an offensive coordinator job (Minnesota) where he’d have full control of the offense and play calling, only to take a job (Cleveland) where he’d be a coordinator in title only.

If it did happen, it would speak volumes about Mike Zimmer and where this team is headed. 

Whats left in terms of experienced offensive mind? Zimmer is going to really have to consider giving up play calling so he can focus more on offensive game plans and in game management if he can't bring in an experienced offensive coordinator.

45 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

A failed head coach can still make a good OC. I'm not sure how that's a problem

Exactly. And we didn't have time to wait more than two weeks for Daniel Carlson to figure things out, are we gonna wait for a guy who has never called plays before to find his identity? If this is a "super bowl caliber" team, I don't think we get somebody without playcalling experience. Stefanski is obviously a unique situation since he has been here for forever.

20 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If Stefanski gets the HC gig with the Browns, does that say anything negative for Zimmer going after D-Flop instead of looking inward?

Not really. Being a HC is ultimately about communication and managing players. If Stefanski gets a HC gig it doesn’t mean he’d have been a better OC. 

I wouldn't mind Gase, he made Brock look like acceptable backup QB. Whoever becomes OC probably have to be more of a OC/HC hybrid. Zimmer to me clearly has no interest  or know how to mange the offense.  

Zimmer already have a negative mark once he fired Flip and went to Stefanski. Zim went with the hot name instead of someone who already knew his players and was regarded as a emerging coach. Or went with someone who shared his views on offense. Schmur wanted Stefanski as his OC which is high respect.  I know Schmur was still going call plays

43 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If Stefanski gets the HC gig with the Browns, does that say anything negative for Zimmer going after D-Flop instead of looking inward?

15 hours ago, vikestyle said:

So Mularkey and Koetter off the market. Where do we go if it's not Stefanski?

Several days ago, I said the top 2 options after Stefanski would/should be Adam Gase and Jeremy Bates.  Both had success with Jay Cutler, whose game is most similar to Cousins (moments of brilliance coupled with moments in head-scratching moves)

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Several days ago, I said the top 2 options after Stefanski would/should be Adam Gase and Jeremy Bates.  Both had success with Jay Cutler, whose game is most similar to Cousins (moments of brilliance coupled with moments in head-scratching moves)

I thought Gase was the top option all along. I'm not as high on Bates but he's got more of track record than Stefanski.

Archived