2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

I figured I'd start this thread. Maybe it'll give some people something else to think about.

I feel like our most pressing needs are CB and ILB. What we need most is a playmaker. It doesn't really matter where, just as long as they can take the ball away. The draft seems to be flush with pass rushers. That's always a good thing. We can use another pass rusher, especially if Dupree isn't brought back. Even if Dupree is back(hopefully on a very cheap extension) we could still use more rotational pieces. Chick isn't getting it done. He needs to go. We can't go into the season with Ola and 43's boy Keion Adams as our 2nd and 3rd best pass rushers. I think a big power rusher would be pretty useful. I like the idea of using some typical 4-3 ends as our subpackage linemen, along with our big guys. 

CB is a little trickier, from what I understand. There seem to be about 3 1st round talents. The prospects from LSU, Georgia, and Washington(I don't really know names right now). Any of our typical draftniks want to weigh in on this subject? Let's get some draft talk going!

@jebrick @armsteeld

• Like 1

Greedy Williams is the top CB. He'll be way gone.
Byron Murphy almost a consensus #2. Could be there.
After that it gets a bit messy and depends on what flavor you like (or who you trust scouting wise).
T.Mullen, A.Oruwariye, K.Boyd are longer more physical CBs.
D.Baker, J.Love a bit smaller, but still physical players.
After that it's hard to really know.
I like K.Sheffield, possibly the fastest of the bunch, with good size.

ILBs aren't deep, especially if M.Wilson stays at Bama as he's inferred.
D.White is special. Some believe D.Bush is too, although undersized.
G.Pratt could be interesting. B.Okereke from Stanford, and D.Allen for TTech, could be too.

I don't love the safety class at all.
There is one top 15-20 talent in Bama FS D.Thompson.

There's some interesting edge rushers. Some really good tight ends.
And it's a really good Interior D-Line class.

• Like 1

Greedy Williams is going to fall on his speed issues.  He was badly exposed in the Georgia game.  He will not fall that far but Murphy ( if he comes out) and Baker will move up.  I like Baker a lot and he could easily fall to the Steelers.  His only downside is that he is 5'10.

ILB.  If you want Devin White you need to get in front of the Bengals at 11.  I like Pratt, Hodge and Kendell Joseph.  I also like Vosean Joseph from Florida but would need to see if he could play in the middle.  After White, there is no other 1st round ILB.

EDGE: I would live to see the Steelers get Jachai Polite if he is there.  I think he will be special.  D'Andre Walker in the 2nd would be a good choice as well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Jesse James is a Steelers fan, and already admitted they have his ear and is willing to take a discount.

I absolutely love Jesse James and I don't see a scenario in which he is not on the roster he is a contributor as a block or more than anything but even as a receiver while he could do better the guy is there when we really really need him. He is absolutely the type of character that we need in the locker room there is no way you let him walk away especially when he has an attitude like that about signing a new contract with the team

• Like 1

Not to State the obvious but defensive back linebacker inside and outside and probably wide receiver are going to be in my opinion our biggest needs in the draft I say wide receiver because most likely we are trading and doing a brown and wide receiver is one of the positions we typically draft really well so I don't have a problem spending a pick there

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I absolutely love Jesse James and I don't see a scenario in which he is not on the roster he is a contributor as a block or more than anything but even as a receiver while he could do better the guy is there when we really really need him. He is absolutely the type of character that we need in the locker room there is no way you let him walk away especially when he has an attitude like that about signing a new contract with the team

I like James too. I think we bring him back but I could still see a draft pick. James would be an awesome #2 - #3 TE. I'd say we'll lose Vance next year, so James will be back to his #2 role after that. 

I’m not sure what’s going to happen with AB, but I think WR is a need regardless, and especially if he’s dealt. With the way the rules in the NFL are trending, they want teams scoring points in bunches. A speedy, “blow the top off the defense” type WR would be a nice addition. I don’t know much about this years crop of WRs, but what’s everyone’s thoughts on Marquise Brown from OU? 

Another thing that'd be nice to have is a game breaking scat back type like Tarik Cohen. Don’t get me wrong, I like Samuels as a backup to Conner, but he ain’t that guy. That’s more of a luxury, but it’d be nice.

on defense, I agree with Mo 1000% that our biggest need on defense is a playmaker. I don’t care what position. Just somebody who can turn the tide of a game for us. Other than Bosa I can’t really name anybody. Not because they’re not there, but because I haven’t spent any time watching them yet. Being a Florida State fan, college football season was over for me by about the 2nd week of September! Lol! 

I've said this before and I'll say it again here I really love Antonio Brown he has been my favorite player since he was drafted. I mean before and it was Hines Ward. Having said that if you were ever going to move on Premier Tonio Brown I think now is the absolute appropriate time. We can take the cap hit without it actually heard enough and by all accounts our locker room is a mess at least that's what we are being led to believe. I feel like weeding out the guys that could continue to disrupt the locker room he's not really a bad decision

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again here I really love Antonio Brown he has been my favorite player since he was drafted. I mean before and it was Hines Ward. Having said that if you were ever going to move on Premier Tonio Brown I think now is the absolute appropriate time. We can take the cap hit without it actually heard enough and by all accounts our locker room is a mess at least that's what we are being led to believe. I feel like weeding out the guys that could continue to disrupt the locker room he's not really a bad decision

I agree that now is the correct time to move him. His value will not go up from where it is now as he gets older and he can still fetch a premium. And like i just said if we want to add a young wr to replace him there is lots of guys in this draft to help ease his loss. guys like Metcalf, harmon, harry, brown, brown, edwards are just a few that will prolly all be drafted in the top couple rounds. I am starting to really like some of the edge guys and love the the wr class.

• Like 1