2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

Senior Bowl is on Saturday. Some guys I'll be paying close attention to...

NORTH

-Kris Boyd CB Texas

-Germaine Pratt ILB NCST

-Keelan Doss WR UC Davis

-Te'von Coney ILB ND

-Nasir Adderley S Delaware

-Greg Gaines DT Washington

SOUTH

-Rock-Ya Sin CB Temple

-Travis Fulgham WR ODU

-OX Edge ODU

-Carl Granderson Edge Wyoming

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Senior Bowl is on Saturday. Some guys I'll be paying close attention to...

NORTH

-Kris Boyd CB Texas

-Germaine Pratt ILB NCST

-Keelan Doss WR UC Davis

-Te'von Coney ILB ND

-Nasir Adderley S Delaware

-Greg Gaines DT Washington

SOUTH

-Rock-Ya Sin CB Temple

-Travis Fulgham WR ODU

-OX Edge ODU

-Carl Granderson Edge Wyoming

Jaylon Ferguson LaTech

Saw highlight reel of this kid while he was fielding interview questions
Kid is FBS all time sack leader with 45.
I don’t know if he can play 3-4 olb but damn this kid has some war daddy in him
He’s one I’ll be watching closely this week

NC State LB Germaine Pratt was clocked at 20.4 mph at one point during Reese's Senior Bowl practices on Thursday.
Remarkably, Pratt posted the top speed of any player on the North team on Thursday, bettering skill-position talents such as Tony Pollard (20.1 mph) and Terry McLaurin (19.6 mph). The 6-foot-2, 240-pounder most notably showed off the jets in tracking down a streaking Dexter Williams at one point during practice. In a linebacking class which is somewhat top-heavy with the likes of Devin White, Devin Bush and Mack Wilson, Pratt makes for an intriguing Day 2 or early Day 3 selection. Especially if he can ace the remainder of the evaluating process. Testing is going to be key for him. Good to see evidence of raw speed on display early, though The Draft Network's Joe Marino cautioned in previewing the Senior Bowl that Pratt's "movement skills are modest" and that he is "tight in the lower half, which limits his range/burst."

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Jaylon Ferguson LaTech

Saw highlight reel of this kid while he was fielding interview questions
Kid is FBS all time sack leader with 45.
I don’t know if he can play 3-4 olb but damn this kid has some war daddy in him
He’s one I’ll be watching closely this week

Pratt is a former Safety. As a LB, I've seen him line up 1:1 all the way out to the sideline and match up well. Ferguson is interesting as well though I combed through some tape and wasn't quite as impressed as the highlight reel but isn't that always the case? I need to look a little more into him. 

9 hours ago, mwalker said:

J.Ferguson is strictly a 4/3 end in my opinion. 
OLB C.Granderson is a player not a lot of folks are talking about.
G.Pratt is interesting at ILB after White, Bush and Wilson.

Watched a little on Granderson. He's has been getting some attention. I came away underwhelmed. Not a bad player but never saw any "Wow" moments. He is considered a mid to late Rd pick so that makes sense and would certainly provide better depth then Chick. 

My feelings on the draft and on FA is the same:

This team has long played it safe and close to the best. They haven’t made big splashes. Partially because they didn’t have to, partially because they couldn’t spend the money. 

2019 needs to be a splash offseason. Tomlin always talks about how those splash plays can win or lose you a game, well, we need a splash play in the offseason to win us games.  

Outside of Haden getting cut late in FA and wanting to come here, our last 3 “splash” off seasons have been: signing Ryan Clark, trading up for Holmes, trading up for Polamalu. 

I firmly believe with one or two small signings our offense will be fine. 

They need to splash on defense. They need to move up. They need to get one of the few top guys in FA. If they can splash in the draft and come away with ILB & CB; splash in FA with EDGE/DB, I really think this team will bounce back fast. 

I’m heading to the gym, but I want to put together a draft plan that gets that done. 

• Like 3

FWIW keep an eye on the Senior Bowl...Steelers have drafted at least 3 guys from it something like 5 outta the last 6 years...plus Colbert was seen talking to a few of them that were mid to late rounders(which if they bring in for their 30 visits is a huge sign)...Udoh at OT and Blunt at ILB are the ones I remember reading.

11 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

FWIW keep an eye on the Senior Bowl...Steelers have drafted at least 3 guys from it something like 5 outta the last 6 years...plus Colbert was seen talking to a few of them that were mid to late rounders(which if they bring in for their 30 visits is a huge sign)...Udoh at OT and Blunt at ILB are the ones I remember reading.

Udoh is there. I remember someone posting something about Blunt but I don't think he's there. 

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

If they get the Utah Kicker I will be happy

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Still fine tuning a mock. I wanted to get some further input.

Who would you guys say the top 5 players are at the following positions and where do you think theyll go in the dradt (if 1st rd, what range)

ILB

CB

OLB

WR

DE

IMHO, ILB, CB and EDGE all all in the run for #1 pick.  all depends on who falls and who you like.  If it is Devin White or bust then better trade up.  I think White is going to the Bengals at 11 but at the latest, 15.  Mack Wilson can go anywhere between 18 and 25.  Devin Bush could go anywhere between 20 and 40.

D. Baker would be a great pick if all of the ILB ( or at least White and Wilson) are gone.  I think he is the best CB in the draft but is getting knocked for his height.  The Combine will decide the CBs picked in the 1st round.  If Greedy Williams does not run well then Baker and Murphy will go in front of him.

At EDGE you have a wide amount of choices.  Unless Allen falls to the Steelers, they might be better off picking up CB or ILB but if White, Wilson, Baker, Williams and Murphy are gone then look at Polite and Brian Burns.  Perhaps OX but you had better trade down :-)

All depends on who you get in the 1st for who is targeted in the 2nd.  got a ILB?  Rock-Ya Sin and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson are two CB I would look at in the 2nd.

Got a CB?  Khalil Hodge, Vosean Joseph and Germaine Pratt.  Or trade up and get Devin Bush if he falls.

For EDGE I think D'Andre Walker is what the Steelers like in a EDGE player

Edited by jebrick