2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

You think both would be better off as 4-3 ends than inside the tackles in a 3-4 or 2-4? They don’t play inside because there’s no one else. 

Who else would play inside? Alualu? McCullers? Walton?  They are best as 3-4 DEs and it isn't even close. 

Just now, jebrick said:

Ravens run a Hybrid defense with 3 down and one pass rusher.  If it is close to the Pats base hybrid, they have 2 interior players as 2-gap and 2 players as 1 gap.  I think Smith spells Stuggs who is the pass rusher in their scheme.

Which is similar to what we did in our 2-4. 

Smith spells both Suggs and Judon. He spells Judan at times to get Suggs free, spells Suggs when they go 3 1-gap players. 

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There’s a lot we don’t know about him so yes you are. His skill set is still somewhat unknown. 

All I can do is base It on what I see in games and what I read from those I see as credible. As you suggested, the Combine will answer those questions. 

Edited by Chieferific

He looks like crap when he has to bend the edge.  That first step quickness is better inside.  I just do not see the skill to stand up in any of his film.  He is always better when he keeps his hips and shoulders lined up.  with what they are paying Hayward and Tuitt I do not see it happening but if he fell to 20 he might be the BPA by far.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Yes-ish.  I know he's likely to be better than Vance McDonald, but having those two doesn't really help spread the field sideline to sideline at the snap.  Let's say we get a high 2 for Brown, and you think you can either move into the late first or move up in the 1st without giving up 20, then getting Hockenson at 20 is worth it.

Just thinking instead of trying to directly replace AB...just have as many weapons as possible....

Anyone else?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Just thinking instead of trying to directly replace AB...just have as many weapons as possible....

Anyone else?

I agree. It doesn't really matter if you put pressure on the defense with fast outside guys, or jumbo inside guys. The key is to put pressure on the defense. Look at how the Pats used Gronk and Hernandez. 

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree. It doesn't really matter if you put pressure on the defense with fast outside guys, or jumbo inside guys. The key is to put pressure on the defense. Look at how the Pats used Gronk and Hernandez. 

I know that Juju can get deep, but if most your pass catchers primarily work in the under routes and inside the numbers, you become easier to defense.  It also makes things more difficult for Conner, as they won't be able to spread teams as easily and open up running lanes.  Now unless you think that you can move Hockenson around and McDonald around and they can run outside routes like Gronk and Hernandez could, so you could open with one formation and spread into another, you'll struggle.  There's a reason that the two TE thing didn't take over quite that way.