2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

9 minutes ago, DaRealTitletown said:

Just because they're the best in the class doesn't make them a top 20 talent. Edge is more of a need where we stand now. 

You're not saying anything here. I could say the same about Polite. If you feel Edge is more important then CB then that's fine. But these CBs are a very talented group. 

47 minutes ago, KJtheWicked said:

Steelers twitter is gonna be insufferable if we don’t wind up with White or Bush.

Imagine if they go 1 of the Iowa TEs? People would be ready with pitchforks abs torches(mine are put away for now).

58 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Imagine if they go 1 of the Iowa TEs? People would be ready with pitchforks abs torches(mine are put away for now).

Like they tried to with the drafting of Heath Miller?  Tweeple are stupid.

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Like they tried to with the drafting of Heath Miller?  Tweeple are stupid.

Not trying to sound like a snob, but most people don’t get into the nuances of football like we do on here...contracts, schemes etc...they don’t know that Macdonald can be cut and save $5.5 mil if cut after this towards 2020 cap...maybe he has another injury riddled year.

They don’t know how Hockenson could improve run game and red zone looks or how Fant and Moncrief could push the Ss back a bit and allow the underneath options more space against the dime CB from SouthWest Eastern NC state.

BPA/Need combo.  TE is not the BIGGEST need, but if Hock is there, then it seems TOO easy.  Especially if Murphy/Greedy are gone.

We do not need Polite in Pittsburgh... man is a headcase.  And doesn't defend the run...

Don't bet the ranch trying to move up get a player at ILB, unless you think he is the next Lambert, Singletary, or Lewis. Sometimes we get so wrapped in getting first round draft picks and we forget that great drafts are ultimately made by the group of players you get to help your team not the good first round pick.

Last year we didn't get to draft R. Evans or Vander Esch in round one. Many could argue that Darius Leonard ended up being the best value pick at ILB as a round two pick. I would even argue that Fred Warner would have been a great help to us in the middle based on the defensive schemes we now employ. They obviously didn't like anyone else at the ILB/MLB and failed to sign or draft late a guy who could help. I also liked ILB Skai Moore (Colts) to play the LJ Fort role as a coverage type of MLB.  Maybe they knew that ILB/MLB would be a deeper crop/class this year than last. I don't know, but it is as great a need in 2019 as it was in 2018. 

This is why I say, take the BPA in each  round. You just never know what dynamic will change with your team due to injury or now even the drama that this team has had lately with AB and Bell.  Losing Outlaw hurts as while he is no great #, he was more than solid and dependable as a #2 TE.  I don't have the same confidence in Grimble.  In fact, I may hedge towards Bucky Hodges as a #3.  Getting a safe and consistent back-up TE is a must.  If Hockenson fell, he would be hard for me to pass up a la Heath Miller.

Wilson is the best cover LB in the draft but just SUCKS at playing the run.  Alternately, you could take Vosean Joseph who is as close to Shazier ( warts and all) that you will find in the draft.  He is a low floor/high ceiling player.  Like Shazier.

1 hour ago, Cbrunn said:

Give me mack Wilson in the 2nd please

I'd take mack in the 2nd over Bush in the 1st

I'd either like to trade way up and try to get Devin White or trade back and try to get Mack in the later 1st or early second. I kind of like the idea of trading back and then trading a few of our mid rounders to try and get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd. I think that's where the value is this year. 

If we could come away with Mack Wilson, CGJ, Hakeem Butler or Irv Smith in the 2nd or early 3rd. That would do wonders for the future of the team. Maybe try with Indy. They could give us both 2nds and their later 4th rounder for our 1st. That puts us picking high in pretty much every round. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Wilson is the best cover LB in the draft but just SUCKS at playing the run.  Alternately, you could take Vosean Joseph who is as close to Shazier ( warts and all) that you will find in the draft.  He is a low floor/high ceiling player.  Like Shazier.

I’m starting to like Joseph more and more personally...wouldn’t love pick mind you but wouldn’t hate it.

Archived