2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

So BSPN is having it's McShay v Kiper draft and I just have to post one commentary that makes me doubt everything Kiper says

Kiper's pick: Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama

This is all about filling a need. Wilson doesn't have the lateral athleticism of the top two off-the-ball linebackers, Devin White and Devin Bush, but he'll be a force in the run game.

Anyone who has watched even a bit of film will be able to tell you that Mack Wilson is the best coverage LB in the draft but is HORRIBLE vs the run.  Has no sand in his pants.  Looks lost.  So who was Kiper watching?

• Like 1

I have to keep going on the McShay/Kiper crap fest

McShay's pick: Germaine Pratt, OLB, NC State

Pittsburgh still needs an edge rusher. I like Pratt's angles and closing speed, and he could develop into a starter behind T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree.

Pratt as an EDGE rusher?  Where did they get this from?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Kiper took him in the 3rd round.  I was more stunned he took Miles Boykin in the 2nd.  I can see the Steelers selecting Boykin but not until the 4th round.  Kiper falls in love with the combine

Well then, I stand corrected. I would be through the roof if we got Mack Wilson in the 3rd. I love how smooth of an athlete he is in coverage. He can work in the weight room his rookie year, get a little tougher, and start a heavy rotation with Vince and Barron his second year. 

39 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Anyone who has watched even a bit of film will be able to tell you that Mack Wilson is the best coverage LB in the draft but is HORRIBLE vs the run.  Has no sand in his pants.  Looks lost.  So who was Kiper watching?

I stopped listening to Kiper years ago. Mack Wilson looks to me to be a very similar player to Mark Barron. Overall, Wilson was very good when playing crappy teams. He, like Bush IMO, gets exposed as not a true LB when playing against top-level competition. I think Wilson is better in coverage than Bush, but Bush has more speed and quickness. I'd be okay with either player at #20, but I still think CB is the better option for the Steelers.

The more I think about the draft and I've been thinking about it a lot has made a couple of comments on various things lately I'm not convinced that a player that we should draft is going to be there and 20. Having said that I would not be against drafting Cody Ford at 20. I understand that offensive guard is not necessarily one of our needs but it would absolutely solidify the offensive line for the foreseeable future. He is a player that I view worth a first-round pick and he would not be there at our second round pick and frankly if there's no player it's of equal or better value that does address our needs then why not take a guy it's genuinely good value and could help our team

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The more I think about the draft and I've been thinking about it a lot has made a couple of comments on various things lately I'm not convinced that a player that we should draft is going to be there and 20. Having said that I would not be against drafting Cody Ford at 20. I understand that offensive guard is not necessarily one of our needs but it would absolutely solidify the offensive line for the foreseeable future. He is a player that I view worth a first-round pick and he would not be there at our second round pick and frankly if there's no player it's of equal or better value that does address our needs then why not take a guy it's genuinely good value and could help our team

While that may be not horrible value pick, my preference would be to draft A.J. 'Hines' Brown. Of course, we already have Juju 'Ward' Schuster, so I can see why many would question why we would take another similar player, but IMO, AJ Brown would be a good safe pick, and one who will help us immediately.

Brown aside, the most important thing to me is to get away from the 'draft for the future' mindset, and grab guys who are going to make an impact early on. The Artie pick just reeked of developmental prospect, and now look... he's every bit the 3rd Rd value we all knew him to be.

We have 10 picks, so we should be able to to get some plugandplay players, while not sacrificing the future.

This is yet another year that I think trading back is best if they do not get the player they want at 1.20.  THere is not much difference between the player you could get at 20 and the player a 96.  There is a deep run of tier 2 players.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

This is yet another year that I think trading back is best if they do not get the player they want at 1.20.  THere is not much difference between the player you could get at 20 and the player a 96.  There is a deep run of tier 2 players.

This is kinda why I dont want to trade up for Devin Bush and send a middle round pick or two to get him. I think this draft will be "won" in rounds 2-4 with guys that are going to be solid pros. Not sure anyone ever becomes a multi-probowl kinda person, but I think there is a lot of NFL quality. I would rather us gather more 2-4 picks than us our 2-4 picks to get a guy I dont see as being dominant. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I just lost my entire quote...ugh... stupid phone...so, apologize for my voice to text here, but I am not typing it all up again.

But basically I agree. there used to be a time when teams would reach for quarterbacks like manziel or EJ Manuel or Christian ponder, but nowadays it seems like in the last few years teams are willing to wait until the second round like Carr was selected.

I don't see anyone that really excites me after the top 10 or 11 players. So unless they make a jump to grab a sliding Devin White or Josh Allen, then I just assumed rather see them. Back to 26 to 30 in grab some more level player as who they could grab at 20.

And for gosh darn it, whatever you do do not reach for another third-round player in the first especially at 20

• Like 1