2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

Looking more and more at the Edge class and it's just terrible. Outside of the first few picks I see very little to get excited about. I say this knowing we aren't really in market for a Pass Rushing OLB. If you weren't aware, we have one already. What is needed is a Zone Coverage/Edge setting/Run Stuffing/Rush occasionally OLB. The only one that satisfies that and isn't a high draft pick is DeAndre Walker. He checks MOST of those boxes with Pass Rushing being his weakest skill.  However, he appears to have the traits to improve upon that. With a current #86 draft grade, he would be my 3rdr.   I heard it was a deep class.  I don't see what the Draft'Niks see. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Looking more and more at the Edge class and it's just terrible. Outside of the first few picks I see very little to get excited about. I say this knowing we aren't really in market for a Pass Rushing OLB. If you weren't aware, we have one already. What is needed is a Zone Coverage/Edge setting/Run Stuffing/Rush occasionally OLB. The only one that satisfies that and isn't a high draft pick is DeAndre Walker. He checks MOST of those boxes with Pass Rushing being his weakest skill.  However, he appears to have the traits to improve upon that. With a current #86 draft grade, he would be my 3rdr.   I heard it was a deep class.  I don't see what the Draft'Niks see. 

I feel the same. Some of the strong pass rushers aren't great in space (Ferguson, Ximines).
Outside of the top few (Bosa, Ferrell, Sweat, Polite) it gets tough to project.
I think Banogu could be interesting, possibly the two Oregon kids.

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He is a favorite.  Someone noted he plays 18" off the ground when he bends around.  Much like James Harrison did.

If he AND Baker are there, what do you do? Not taking Polite leaves you with next to nothing at Pass Rushing EDGE imo. Not taking Baker leaves you with some 2 tier guys that are "Ok". But taking Baker in the 1st leaves you with the ability to take an OLB like Walker that isn't nearly the Pass Rusher Polite is but is that what we need? Polite can hold his own in the Run game but Walker is dominant there. Walker prolly is the better Cover LB as well. So what do you do? They're not gonna Rush 5 every down. I wrestled with this and currently would go Polite. I'm of the philosophy that good Pass Rushers make corners better more then good Corners make Pass Rushers better. But to further complicate matters, I'd rather Dupree start then Sensebaugh. So I'll prolly flip again. 

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

If he AND Baker are there, what do you do? Not taking Polite leaves you with next to nothing at Pass Rushing EDGE imo. Not taking Baker leaves you with some 2 tier guys that are "Ok". But taking Baker in the 1st leaves you with the ability to take an OLB like Walker that isn't nearly the Pass Rusher Polite is but is that what we need? Polite can hold his own in the Run game but Walker is dominant there. Walker prolly is the better Cover LB as well. So what do you do? They're not gonna Rush 5 every down. I wrestled with this and currently would go Polite. I'm of the philosophy that good Pass Rushers make corners better more then good Corners make Pass Rushers better. But to further complicate matters, I'd rather Dupree start then Sensebaugh. So I'll prolly flip again. 

I take Polite.  Honestly.  If we an get to the QB faster and better with a 4 or 5 man rush and not have to blitz to do so, you leave more men in the secondary.  More men in the secondary and QB's making quicker decision making always leads to more mistakes.  Without a quality pass rush we could have Blount, Revis, Polamalu, Reed back there in the secondary all in their primes and we would get shredded with the amount of pressure we had to bring just to get our sacks.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I take Polite.  Honestly.  If we an get to the QB faster and better with a 4 or 5 man rush and not have to blitz to do so, you leave more men in the secondary.  More men in the secondary and QB's making quicker decision making always leads to more mistakes.  Without a quality pass rush we could have Blount, Revis, Polamalu, Reed back there in the secondary all in their primes and we would get shredded with the amount of pressure we had to bring just to get our sacks.

That's my line of thinking too (now anyways). But I can't shake the question of..."Are we wasting his talents"? He and Watt usually aren't going to rush at the same time. Are you gonna regulate Polite to the "Woodley" role. That worked pretty well but Polite may be the better Pass Rusher. You can never have too many Pass Rushers but I hate to regulate him to Run Stuffing and Covering on most downs. Seems like a waste. But I agree, I'd still take him over Baker. 

17 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

That's my line of thinking too (now anyways). But I can't shake the question of..."Are we wasting his talents"? He and Watt usually aren't going to rush at the same time. Are you gonna regulate Polite to the "Woodley" role. That worked pretty well but Polite may be the better Pass Rusher. You can never have too many Pass Rushers but I hate to regulate him to Run Stuffing and Covering on most downs. Seems like a waste. But I agree, I'd still take him over Baker. 

Look back at those stats.  We sent both Dupree and Watt 65% of the time.  I'm not worried about that.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Look back at those stats.  We sent both Dupree and Watt 65% of the time.  I'm not worried about that.

Yes, but I would like to see less blitzing. Of course to do that you have to have better coverage. I think they are both really good but Polite is a better OLB then Baker is CB imo. But is that the right player given the roster? Are we in a BPA position right now? Would it be better to take the top CB and more of an Edge setting/Coverage OLB later and Blitz that OLB occasionally but regulate Watt as the primary Pass Rusher? I merely posing questions. I don't have the answer. 

34 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Yes, but I would like to see less blitzing. Of course to do that you have to have better coverage. I think they are both really good but Polite is a better OLB then Baker is CB imo. But is that the right player given the roster? Are we in a BPA position right now? Would it be better to take the top CB and more of an Edge setting/Coverage OLB later and Blitz that OLB occasionally but regulate Watt as the primary Pass Rusher? I merely posing questions. I don't have the answer. 

Just because you send both doesn’t mean we blitzed. Roughly half that rushing 65% of the time came in the 2-4-5 alignment. Another 5% in a 1-4-6. I think only about 10% of the time did both go was it a blitz.