Bucs to announce new HC no later than next Tuesday

bucsfan333

4 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Didn’t Bruce go after JPP before Chandler Jones in AZ? So I guess he assumes he’d be just as good as a 3-4 OLB over the 4-3 DE he’s played his whole career. I take JPP as the guy who would give it a go without complaining but I just wonder if that makes sense.

Yeah, that was the rumor.  I have no issue with 3-4 as long as Vea is a 5 technique, and not a NT.    Ravens have big 3-4 OLBs, so I m not too concerned about JPP and Nassib.  Replace Allen with a bigger NT, grab another 5 tech in free agency and a good chance Quninnen or Oliver will be there as another 5 technique.  The Rams don t have huge ILBs  so the conversion can take place.  I m really not concerned on alignment, I m just thrilled the mantra will be aggressive.  They may give up big plays, but they 'll make more big plays and it won t be death by a 1000 paper cuts.

8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Yeah, that was the rumor.  I have no issue with 3-4 as long as Vea is a 5 technique, and not a NT.    Ravens have big 3-4 OLBs, so I m not too concerned about JPP and Nassib.  Replace Allen with a bigger NT, grab another 5 tech in free agency and a good chance Quninnen or Oliver will be there as another 5 technique.  The Rams don t have huge ILBs  so the conversion can take place.  I m really not concerned on alignment, I m just thrilled the mantra will be aggressive.  They may give up big plays, but they 'll make more big plays and it won t be death by a 1000 paper cuts.

Good points. I do agree that LB is a point of weakness for us in the current 4-3 brand of defense Smith/Duffner ran. If we have Vea, a Strong NT and Oliver on the field with JPP, Nassib, Kwon and David, that’s a lot more talent from the front 7. Call it getting the best 7 on the field. I just wonder from an agility standpoint now 6’5” 275 JPP and 6’7” 275 Nassib would fair as stand up OLBs now. 

Could also target Josh Allen at 5 for RUSH LB or Jaylen Ferguson in the 2nd or 3rd as a RUSH LB.

Im not sold on the 3-4 alignment...   Our guys just don't fit IMO.   We have undersized ilb's..  We need at least one thumper.  Also, I don't think we have any 3-4 olbs.  Nassib and JPP are big dudes and I feel that JPP could probably make the move but Nassib would not be very good on the outside he has no bend.

As for the Ravens having bigger olb's, yes its true but Suggs played in the 3-4 his whole career and the other guys were drafted to play that position. They are also 6'3" - 6'4"  and JPP/Nassib are 6'5" and 6'7".  The height makes a difference because of the leverage when your rushing from a standing position compared to when your rushing from a 3 point stance.  I think Nassib would be better as a 3/4 DE.

With all that being said YOLO not like our defense has been great anyways.

8 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Good points. I do agree that LB is a point of weakness for us in the current 4-3 brand of defense Smith/Duffner ran. If we have Vea, a Strong NT and Oliver on the field with JPP, Nassib, Kwon and David, that’s a lot more talent from the front 7. Call it getting the best 7 on the field. I just wonder from an agility standpoint now 6’5” 275 JPP and 6’7” 275 Nassib would far as stand up OLBs now. 

Could also target Josh Allen at 5 for RUSH LB or Jaylen Ferguson in the 2nd or 3rd as a RUSH LB.

I don t recall a lot of 3-4 teams putting their OLBs in man coverage.  I thought most times the ILBs were left to playing.  

Our old friend, Mike Tomlin played Shazier at ILB and he is the size of Kwon.  I would be curious the splits of teams like the Rams and Ravens with the splits of the OLBS standing up and 3 point stance.  I just think base alignment in todays NFL is a little over rated.  

I expect a lot of exotic looks from Bowles, so I think we ll see plenty of both alignments.

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

I don t recall a lot of 3-4 teams putting their OLBs in man coverage.  I thought most times the ILBs were left to playing.  

Our old friend, Mike Tomlin played Shazier at ILB and he is the size of Kwon.  I would be curious the splits of teams like the Rams and Ravens with the splits of the OLBS standing up and 3 point stance.  I just think base alignment in todays NFL is a little over rated.  

I expect a lot of exotic looks from Bowles, so I think we ll see plenty of both alignments.

Yeah probably so. I’d assume in a Bowles defense both OLBs would be rushing more than not. Nassib I guess could play 3-4 end if need be or as a backup.. As far as alignments go, Mack for the Bears had his hand in the dirt occasionally Sunday. Bottom line, Bowles as a DC seems to coach to his players strengths. It might look different as a 3-4 but putting a square peg in round hole doesn’t sound like Bowles. We’ll just have to see I guess.

1 minute ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Yeah probably so. I’d assume in a Bowles defense both OLBs would be rushing more than not. Nassib I guess could play 3-4 end if need be or as a backup.. As far as alignments go, Mack for the Bears had his hand in the dirt occasionally Sunday. Bottom line, Bowles as a DC seems to coach to his players strengths. It might look different as a 3-4 but putting a square peg in round hole doesn’t sound like Bowles. We’ll just have to see I guess.

I just want aggressive in my defense, less quarters coverage, and send more then 4.  The Bucs rarely sent a slot CB blitz or a safety.  Those times are about to change and I am thrilled.  Bowles has played a lot of man coverage, which should fit Carlton and VHIII very well.  

What I respect about Arians "No risk it, no biscuit" philosophy goes for both sides of the ball.  What a refreshing change.

Archived