Tajae Sharpe making the final roster... yay or nay

ragevsuall17

Tajae Sharpe making the final roster... yay or nay  

15 members have voted

1. 1. So does Tajae Sharpe make the final roster

• Yes, he makes the final roster
    • No, he is cut or traded on or before September 2nd

I may be the only no... But I feel the counterpoint piece has essentially been my position all off season.

Maybe they try to trade him. He or Douglas will be weekly inactives, as long as everyone stays healthy... But Douglas offers the ability to assist the staff in prepping the younger guys during the week.

Weems still seems like a lock to make the roster as a gunner and back up returner. For this same reason, they won't keep McBride unless he's earned the trust at WR to at least a similar level to Sharpe and Sharpe... If he hasn't, its hard to justify keeping 2  for STs purposes.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I don't think his spot is guaranteed,  but I do think he makes it. Missing camp really hurt him though. Had he shown the ability to even just playing kick coverage teams it probably would have gone a long way.

He offers nothing on STs, but I don't think its the detriment I thought it was, not with Weems filling that role. But as a weekly inactive, what do I think he offers over Douglas? Nothing.

Yes Tajae Sharpe is going to have a spot on the final 53. I don't see how he wouldn't seeing as last year with a lot thrown onto him he had some solid games. Much rather keep him than Douglas or even Weems who to me is just another blah kick returner.

I believe it comes down to McBride vs Weems and Douglas vs Sharpe. I know many aren't fans of Douglas but, from everything I heard, he's had a very nice training camp and a nice preseason game 1. Plus Mularkey has praised his veteran leadership throughout camp. That's why I think they're going to surprise many and keep Douglas over Sharpe, to the dismay of many.

11 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

He offers nothing on STs, but I don't think its the detriment I thought it was, not with Weems filling that role. But as a weekly inactive, what do I think he offers over Douglas? Nothing.

Upside? He definitely has a long way to go, and I'm not arguing his case as much as I'm merely stating the obvious, but it's pretty clear that as a receiver Douglas can't offer you anything else than he already has, which is not much at all. On the other hand, Sharpe has the age on his side, plus he already flashed a few traits that can make one believe he might be a more dominant WR on the outside than Douglas ever was.

I'd like to see Douglas gone as much as the next guy, but IMO if there's one thing he has going for him, it's blocking. Looks to me like he puts in more effort than your average WR, and he's fairly effective at it. I'd say that's a pretty useful asset in Mularkey's offense. And although I wouldn't necessarily bet on it, with everything that went against Sharpe this summer, it might still be Harry that keeps his job after all.

13 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Upside? He definitely has a long way to go, and I'm not arguing his case as much as I'm merely stating the obvious, but it's pretty clear that as a receiver Douglas can't offer you anything else than he already has, which is not much at all. On the other hand, Sharpe has the age on his side, plus he already flashed a few traits that can make one believe he might be a more dominant WR on the outside than Douglas ever was.

I'd like to see Douglas gone as much as the next guy, but IMO if there's one thing he has going for him, it's blocking. Looks to me like he puts in more effort than your average WR, and he's fairly effective at it. I'd say that's a pretty useful asset in Mularkey's offense. And although I wouldn't necessarily bet on it, with everything that went against Sharpe this summer, it might still be Harry that keeps his job after all.

I've heard upside thrown around... But I've always believed hes JAG... Doesn't show anything in his repertoire that gives conference he'll ever be anymore than that. Last year he got an opportunity based on a complete lack of other options, but he tapered off, and did close to nothing once the calendar flipped to October and beyond.

Douglas efficiency stats were significantly better than Sharpe's and like you said, his effort in all aspects of his game has always been one of his strong points. 

But when arguing this spot... Which again, is the likely 6th spot on the roarer, and a likely weekly inactive, what makes my team better? I personally think that on a young team, the team benefits much more from Douglas' veteran precense in weekly preparations... over the future potential of a  #4 receiver at best. 

I trust Sharpe more than I do Douglas Weems and McBride as a WR if someone where to go down. 

I know Douglas has experience but I like Sharpe better he's younger and seems to be more on the same page with Mariota than Douglas. Douglas draws an occasional PI call or a circus catch but Sharpes a guy who has good hands and can move the chains 

Definitely. Weems is most likely cut, as is Douglas. Decker is banged up, and Davis (until he proves otherwise) is on the Calico path already. No reason to give up on the only competent young WR we had last season. Right now we are looking at not much of an upgrade on our WR's aside from Taylor at this point from last season, so I'd say we have to keep Tajae. 

20 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Weems still seems like a lock to make the roster as a gunner and back up returner. 

If that's all he offers, he's a goner. You can't keep a WR on the roster if you're only keeping 6 and that's all he brings to the table. I think another CB/S would make the roster in his place, like Kalan Reed, who could take over the gunner role. 

4 hours ago, VY said:

If that's all he offers, he's a goner. You can't keep a WR on the roster if you're only keeping 6 and that's all he brings to the table.

To be fair, I think you could make the argument that just those two things are more than Tajae brings to the table. I don't think people really appreciate just how terribly ineffective he was last season.

49 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

To be fair, I think you could make the argument that just those two things are more than Tajae brings to the table. I don't think people really appreciate just how terribly ineffective he was last season.

Bulk numbers and preseason hype... at a position that we've been horrible at for at least a decade... guess it's somewhat expected.  But honestly, as if Weems being a STs ace... not just a player, but an ace... wasn't enough... he'll be getting more snaps week in/week out than Sharpe if he makes the roster.  His impact on STs will be felt much more than any WR we keep to be the 5th in the rotation... 

Again... how many targets/receptions did our 7th option get last year?  That's best case scenario for Sharpe this year:

1. Walker, TE1
  2. Matthews, WR1
  3. Davis, WR2/3
  4. Decker, WR2/3
  5. Murray, RB1
  6. Taylor, WR 4

Not including whoever ends up as the #2 TE... a player who will see significant snaps.  Where exactly does Sharpe make an impact?

Archived