My mock with a Brown trade

Magnus-Viktor

*Trade Brown to Arizona for Patrick Peterson and pick 33*

1.  DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss - This guy is just a stud.  His neck injury might make him fall a bit, but he's big (6'4" 230 or 6'3" 225 depending on where you look) and looks fast and skilled on tape.  Great hands.  He's the total package.  I'd gladly move on from Brown and his antics for this guy.  We all know Ben likes his bigger targets like Plaxico anyway.  I'm not sold on JuJu being a great #1, or Washington even being a #3 at this point.  A RS So that missed half of this season with the neck injury, but said he was going pro in November.

2.  Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson - Yes, you just traded for Patrick Peterson, but you need to think long term.  Peterson is going to be 29 next season.  Haden is going to be 30 next season.  So I not only want more depth at CB, but I'm also envisioning a longer-term role for Peterson moving to FS like Rod Woodson did later in his career.  A True Jr.  

2.  Isaiah Simmons, ILB, Clemson - He really stood out to me in their playoff game.  6'2" 230, with what looked like it could be near-Shazier caliber speed and burst.  He isn't listed on the draft sites yet, but he is eligible at a RS So, and if he blows up in the championship game, he could make the jump.  You never know.  These 2 draft picks and Peterson basically = defense fixed up.  You're not already moving on from the young safeties whether we want them to or not, leaving just Williams/Bostic/Fort at the other ILB spot as the glaring weakness.....and Dupree of course. 

3.  TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa - My personal favorite player in this year's draft.  He's the total package, as illustrated by him winning the Mackey Award for the nation's top TE.  Noah Fant got all the hype, but this guy just produced consistently.  Not quite the bulldozer that Vance McDonald is, but he has good YAC ability and blocks and catches well.  If he really goes in 3, as I keep seeing mocked, it's highway robbery.  Another RS So that hasn't decided if he's going pro or not.  

4.  Elijah Holyfield, RB, Georgia - Absolutely chiseled physical specimen at 5'11" 215, that only had 56 carries his first 2 years in college, and did well this year splitting carries with Swift.  Both went over 1000 yards and average 6.4 ypc.  Swift was used as the receiving back though.  A true Jr that already declared for the draft.  

6.  Antoine Welsey, WR, Texas Tech - This guy really impressed me when I watched him play this year.  At 6'5" 200 lbs, he's really skinny, but his feet and agility, and his YAC ability is surprising for a guy his size.  Good hands too.  He'd be my #3 WR on the roster from day 1.  He's so much better than Washington and Rogers and everyone else not named JuJu it isn't even funny.  I doubt he's around in 6, but this is roughly where the only draft site I saw him listed on had him (a late 5).  (Maybe Parris Campbell if he's gone - I have a feeling Parris will slide come draft day)

6.  Troy Dye, LB, Oregon - Another fast, explosive LB to give the middle of the defense a huge boost from the sloths they've played since Shazier went down.  

7.  Sutton Smith, Edge, Northern Illinois - Not sure that he has much of an NFL position, but I think you could bring him in for subpackages.  Looks to lack length and size, but he has a motor and is fairly athletic.  Probably relegated to ILB blitzing type player, unless he proves he can cover.  

UDFA:  Terry Godwin, WR, Georgia - He can make some plays, but tends to be dinged up too much.  I"m shocked he hasn't had a better career, given what I've seen out of him so far at times in games.

Hey... I love the picks.

I am not sure how even to value a trade of Brown at this point.  I would love to get PatPete and a pick, and I might even be willing to eat the $ that is owed for trading him.

I am not sold on Metcalf.  I am very leery of neck injuries.  I have not seen a lot of him play, but I have heard great things.

I like the two Clemson picks (Obviously I don't know if they are declaring).  Mullen could be a stud on the next level, and his height is a great advantage.  Simmons is a tweener that I think we already kinda have with Edmunds.  I am not sold he is a true MLB.

No way Hockenson will be here at 3.  He is a late first rounder from what I have seen.

Love the UGA guys, as I am a UGA homer.  Holyfield is a BEAST and a chunk runner.  Does not need 15-20 to make a difference.  Can really hurt people with 8-10 touches.  Godwin is a HUGE sleeper.  Someone is gonna steal him.  I hope it is us.

I would think that the other WR is redundant, and have no idea about the MLB.  I do like Sutton Smith though.

All in all, I would probably look more for an edge earlier than 7.  And a true MLB, knowing that right now we are starting Bostic and Fort still.

Peterson would be great if they could pull that off. How does Sutton Smith fall to RD7? That would be a good pick to take a flyer on, why not? He could replace Hilton as a blitzer.  I think trading AB is a bad idea though, but if it has to be done then Peterson and a draft pick is a start. 

M-V, I don't see edge on your draft, so what do you have in store for that? UFA? Who?

Here is the thing about Metcalf I honestly think he could go top 10. Overall I like the draft but I don't think that first round pick is realistic. I like the inside linebacker choice and for that reason I'm not sure I would be opposed to taking a corner in the first round in the second round based on your draft. Let's be real we need corners and I get Patrick Peterson is coming to us in this trade but think about it from a development standpoint you draft two young Corners those are your number 3 and 4 with Hilton as your nickel and a guy that you can move around I would call him the number five just because you would now be able to move them around wherever he wanted and still have two guys developing to play on the outside that's where I'm going with this. They would be playing behind Hayden and Peterson now of course you could also go safety in the first round or you could double up on inside linebacker and I wouldn't have a problem with that either

Ok so I will play along a lili bit here. I have already stated multiple times I would do this trade if possible. I will only throw out picks for the 1st 2 days because i have yet to go to deep into this draft just yet.

1st- Dieonte Thompson, Safety Alabaman- I would love to see a ball hawk like him back there. With him manning the  free safety spot let edmunds/davis/burnett compete for strong safety and sub package snaps.

2nd- Montez Sweat, Edge Mississippi ST - Im not in love with him but i could see him as the best of the rest edge rushers still there at the 33rd overall pick. I also hope we dont just draft help here but there is some free agents that could be big for us as well. I will echo @warfelg in that Anthony Barr would one of my top priorities to bring in this offseason.

2nd- Kelvin Harmon, WR NC ST- I think he is a bit of a boom or bust pick. If we hit with him though on the opposite side of JUJU( i like our chances at wr) then our offense will continue to be able to post up strong numbers post antonio.

3rd- Julian Love, CB Notre Dame- even with Haden and in this scenario the newly acquired Peterson, I want more talent to compete in the secondary. He could learn from a couple of the best press corners in the game and be a replacement for Haden in a year or 2.

@Big Snack I kind of like the idea of going safety again in the first. I like the versatility that it would give us. I'd much rather take a CB, but they might be looking safety. Our front seven is pretty good at stopping the run and I think having multiple versatile DBs behind a strong D-line is something that we'll see more of in today's NFL. 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:03 PM, kurgan said:

Hey... I love the picks.

I am not sure how even to value a trade of Brown at this point.  I would love to get PatPete and a pick, and I might even be willing to eat the $ that is owed for trading him.

I am not sold on Metcalf.  I am very leery of neck injuries.  I have not seen a lot of him play, but I have heard great things.

I like the two Clemson picks (Obviously I don't know if they are declaring).  Mullen could be a stud on the next level, and his height is a great advantage.  Simmons is a tweener that I think we already kinda have with Edmunds.  I am not sold he is a true MLB.

No way Hockenson will be here at 3.  He is a late first rounder from what I have seen.

Love the UGA guys, as I am a UGA homer.  Holyfield is a BEAST and a chunk runner.  Does not need 15-20 to make a difference.  Can really hurt people with 8-10 touches.  Godwin is a HUGE sleeper.  Someone is gonna steal him.  I hope it is us.

I would think that the other WR is redundant, and have no idea about the MLB.  I do like Sutton Smith though.

All in all, I would probably look more for an edge earlier than 7.  And a true MLB, knowing that right now we are starting Bostic and Fort still.

I LOVE what I have seen out of Metcalf, but I have admittedly not seen him a lot either, and of course the medical would have to reasonably check out.  

Simmons is much bigger than Edmunds.  I'm hoping he could develop into a Shazier-type.  Maybe between Edmunds and him in the nickel packages playing lineback-ish roles, the D wouldn't suck so badly in coverage.  

I agree on Hockenson, but I keep seeing him there in the simulators and the few draft sites that actually project guys.  I think he's a ~20 guy myself.  My favorite player in the draft (which is rare for a TE of course).  But this is where he's at.  

That 2nd WR in 6, is a lot less likely than Hockenson in 3 IMO.  I was really impressed with that guy when I saw Tech play this year.  Really impressed.

Also agree on edge rushers, but I just couldn't justify bringing Dupree back, and then burning an early pick on one.  After that, I don't know of any worth waking.  That's how it ended up as it did.  I have a feeling Dupree comes back and they roll as-is except for depth.  ILB and CB is a much bigger need, unfortunately, as would be WR if Brown was traded.  WR is a huge need as-is, if Washington doesn't develop.  You can't effectively go 3 or 4 wide, when you only have 2 good WRs (with arguably your 3rd best WR lining up at RB in those instances at times).  

On 1/9/2019 at 3:13 PM, 3rivers said:

Peterson would be great if they could pull that off. How does Sutton Smith fall to RD7? That would be a good pick to take a flyer on, why not? He could replace Hilton as a blitzer.  I think trading AB is a bad idea though, but if it has to be done then Peterson and a draft pick is a start. 

M-V, I don't see edge on your draft, so what do you have in store for that? UFA? Who?

Honestly?  By the time you trade for Peterson and take Brown's cap hit, there won't be much in FA in this scenario.  I think they'll just roll with what they had this year at OLB.  Dupree would be brought back on an overpaid contract as they usually do with players like him.  Not what I want, just what I expect.  

16 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Honestly?  By the time you trade for Peterson and take Brown's cap hit, there won't be much in FA in this scenario.  I think they'll just roll with what they had this year at OLB.  Dupree would be brought back on an overpaid contract as they usually do with players like him.  Not what I want, just what I expect.  

agree with what you expect and it's a reason I am getting tired of this regime. Keep a player they drafted and hope they prove themselves right meanwhile over the least few years all the indication point towards a fail . Not even a "lateral move" because it's no move at all, just complacency once again :)

UFA is said to have pass rushers, who would you consider?  

Another one I'd considered, using the Antonio Brown rumors I've heard about, and based on who is available in Walterfootball's latest mock at these picks:

Trading Brown for the #2 pick:

1.  Josh Allen, LB, Kentucky - could probably play all 4 LB positions and DE in nickel.  

1.  Greedy Williams, CB, LSU - he actually went #25 in their mock from yesterday.  I kept thinking I'd missed him when I was seeing where he went.

2.  Antoine Wesley, WR, Texas Tech - 6'6" WR with great agility and surprising YAC

3.  Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson - another long CB & probably BPA - Connor McGovern at LG would potentially be the smarter choice here

4.  Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State - yep, 3 CBs.  That's how bad they are.  This guy is a burner but smaller.  

Not going to speculate about the rest of the picks.  

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

agree with what you expect and it's a reason I am getting tired of this regime. Keep a player they drafted and hope they prove themselves right meanwhile over the least few years all the indication point towards a fail . Not even a "lateral move" because it's no move at all, just complacency once again :)

UFA is said to have pass rushers, who would you consider?  

I haven't looked at FA too much yet.  

Archived