NFL Draft 2019 - Team Needs

bomont

What do you think your team (or other teams) should focus most on?   Of course free agency may change things.

Random thoughts offhand:

• Jets:  DE may be the value play and they could use it but IMO they need offensive help more.  Trade down and nab a top OL or WR or even RB if traded down far enough.
  • Cards:  see Jets.  Wouldn't nab a RB but OL and/or WR or a top TE is the move here.
  • Lions:  almost anywhere along the front 7 on D.
  • Giants:  NOT a QB.  Not a believer that any merit that top pick, at least.  Build the trenches, esp the still-weak OL.
  • Colts:  their D did surprisingly well but they still need beef up front.
  • Raiders:  DE/OLB.  Like lots.  Although they need help everywhere.
  • Titans:  Orakpo retired, more pass-rushing needs here (good thing it's a deep draft for that). 
  • Texans:  OL and more OL.  Also OL.

Browns:

1. Linebacker. Mainly an outside linebacker. (DEVIN WHITE? PADDY FISHER?)

2. Defensive Tackle. Run stopper. (DEXTER LAWRENCE?)

3. Defensive End. Pass rusher. (

4. Cornerback. #2 or #3 quality.

5. Wide Receiver/Tight End. We need a big pass catcher.

23 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

6. ILB- Even with Mosley gone we’ve got nice options who can get the job done at a nice level..

Do you anticipate Mosley leaving?

Welp, now that we're out of it:

Bears:

#1 need: FG kicker

After this is actually gets hard to predict.... We've got players for a bunch of spots but having true team "needs" depends almost entirely on our FA choices. Furthermore, we don't have a pick before round #3 this year. I'd also add that we've been fortunate with Ryan Pace's drafting ability, which is a large part of the reason we've been improving so quickly... The problem is that's all starting to come to a head as the promising rookies start coming off rookie deals coinciding with a major high priced FA signing in Mack, and some pretty talented pending FAs.... So money is a big issue that will dictate our FA, which in turn will dictate our draft strategy.

High cost players that could get cut/not brought back:

RT: Massie has been above expectations this season, but probably still getting paid more than he's actually worth

RG: Kyle Long is almost a face of the franchise, but he's high paid, and nearly always injured now.

In both cases, our running game hasn't been a huge strength this year, and seems to have significantly regressed year to year overall, despite better playcalling and personnel

RB: Jordan Howard is due for a new contract that we probably can't afford.... and it's extremely questionable whether or not he's really a fit for the system... Real shame too, I think he's one of the leagues most underrated RBs, and could easily see him taking off in a better situation for him, but I'm not convinced it's really clicking for him here.

TE: Dion Simms is going to be gone, With Burton and Shaheen any signing here is going to be a depth guy and probably a later round project. Braunecker I think might also be a FA this year.

SS: Amos is an enigma on the backend for us... Is he really an elite level SS as PFF keeps making him out to be? Even if he was, would we be able to afford him?

N-CB: Callahan is a FA, and likely going to command some money for a Nickel... but he's also yet to play a full season. I don't remember McMannis' contract situation atm..

Team needs regardless of who we retain

FG Kicker: We're going to end up paying Parkey to not kick for us next year... The failure to cut him before the playoffs, because of financial reasons, after his disastrous season cost us our postseason run... something we may not get another chance at considering we may lose our DC and a couple important pending FAs this offseason.

Punter: O' Donnell had a phenomenal punt today... and it's maybe the 3rd of his career.... He's been an overall disapointment.

CB: Amukamara is getting older, and our guy behind him right now is Tolliver, an UDFA.... The coaches seem higher on him than you'd expect, and he's played surprisingly well in limited action... A spot certainly worth considering.

OLB: Pass rushers are always in demand... In our case, Floyd is coming up to a decision time on whether he's worth the money... and our rotation there right now is basically floyd and Mack... Depth is needed.

Falcons are gonna be easy this year

Trenches, Trenches, Trenches and i almost forgot more trenches lol

Now realistically though i would say this is a good list for ppl to look at

NT/DT - 1T preffered to replace McClain and what Poe gave us.  Good run defender to put next to Grady and Seant on subs.

DE/DT - A big body pass rushing DE who can also play DT to replace Derrick Shelby and give guys a break or sub Beasley on rushing downs.

Edge Rusher - Beasley might not be here after this year or maybe even this year if he doesn't take a smaller contract and cap hit.  So we could use someone to pair with Takk going forward.

OGx2 - We literally have 2 good lineman in Alex Mack and Jake Matthews.  The rest as Quinn said can be scrubbed and upgraded.  I imagine 1 in the draft and 1 in FA.  Wouldn't hurt to have 1 of them be a guy who can possibly replace Mack in a few years either if need be.

RT - Ryan Schraeder who not 2 years ago was a staple as a top 5 RT in the league most the time and almost always according to PFF.   Fell of a cliff over the last year and a half and losthis job to fricken Ty Sambrallo who somehow actually was a upgrade and to me thats very scary.  

Power RB - I think we could do to get a solid power RB with some upside as we got Colemans replacement in Ito last year and we need a guy who can get short yardage carries and get a guaranteed 1 yard which we struggle with on 3rd and 4th and 1's.  Middle to late round guy with big upside is a nice look here.   Freeman, Ito , Power RB from draft, Hill(maybe)

LB - We could use a legit WLB to replace Duke Riley who has been trash.  Im not against a guy like White in round 1 if he is the guaranteed most talented guy at 14 falling to us.  White+Debo is a nasty combo at WLB and MLB for the next 10 years. 

CB - We will probably get rid of Alford this year and Trufant next year to free up a ton of cap space on guys who are not living up to their contracts.  We took Isaiah oliver in a steal in round 2 this year imo to replace one of them and we will probably bring back Pool and have Kazee plays CB as well(kazee is a beast at FS and NB)  So this isn't a huge need but if the right guy falls to you with extra picks in the mid rounds you atleast gotta look at them.   

Would like for a ST return man as well but i wouldn't mind see a new ST coach brought in to see if we can do better with what we got either in Ridley, Hall, Hardy  Etc...

Other than that i really think every other position is pretty set you can always look at a FB as well but that can be thrown in with the power RB thing as well or Hill might can do it.

Positions of zero need according to me unless it's 5th to 7th round and it's a legit 1st 3 rounds guy who you just can't pass on the talent at all is

QB, WR, Safety, TE, Smaller RB, or LT, Kicker, Punter

On 1/5/2019 at 3:01 AM, Forge said:

49ers- edge rusher first and foremost
Free safety
Will or Mike
Wide receiver
Corner
Guard/center

I'm amazed you don't have OT as a prime need, Forge. who do you have to replace Staley, who wanted to retire before the 2018 season. I'm a Packers fan myself, but I talk most days with a keen 49er fan in England. He has Edge, OT, WR as the top three needs.

For the Packers, I'd go Edge, FS, OT, TE, G, RB in something like that order of priority  Guard is actually a higher priority than listed but the Packers normally get their guards (or more usually, tackles they convert to guards) in rounds 4/5. They need a vet FA at safety as well (they have nothing there really). I think it is possible they move Josh Jackson to safety in 2019 (he was a CB in 2018) to take advantage of his ability to read and react to QBs when facing them. He's listed as under 200lb, but only a hair under. A vet FA safety plus Jones plus a draft pick in the first three rounds would sort safety out, but that uncovers a need for another CB. Hard to know exactly where the Packers are headed until they get their new head coach.

Archived