Spiderman: Into the spider-verse (2018)

sunnygsm

Surprisingly didn't see a thread about this (might have missed it though). 

Not even lying, this might be favourite Marvel related film ever. The art style was sweet and it was just fun. The mixed comic book style was great. For once 3D seemed to add to the spectacle. 

I kid you not when I think you can put this against Raimi's 2nd film as best Spidey film ever.

Morales & Spider-Gwen and alt-Peter Parker were awesome.   And as much as I thought Peni & Spider-Ham were going to be annoying, they were actually pretty funny.   Spider-Noir with Cage was a scene stealer.  

Still, you can't get a good movie without good Black Hats - and Kingpin and the rest (won't spoil) were awesome.    

And yeah, that was a killer soundtrack.  Seems like a small thing, but man, when you have a great score & track, it just elevates the experience.  

Honestly, I think hands down it's the best animated movie this year, and I'd put it as a top 10 overall - I'll still give a nod to IW, but really, the movie is that good.   It really offers a great chance to explore the Miles Morales-verse, and while there's always a chance of overexposure, there's so much comic book material to use, this is a gold mine for Marvel and fans alike.   

Cannot recommend it enough.  Get out & see this one, miles ahead of Aquaman (and I liked Aquaman - but I loved this one). 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Cannot recommend it enough.  Get out & see this one, miles ahead of Aquaman (and I liked Aquaman - but I loved this one). 

I see what you did there. ;)

But totally agree. This film was amazing. And that soundtrack was top notch. Probably my favorite film of this past year, and that's saying something.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Despite the inclusion of Spider-Ham (barf!), it's still a masterpiece.  I love how it's also a love letter to graffiti and hip hop.

My wife was very reluctant to go see an animated super hero movie in a theater, but since the whole family was going she went too and she even loved it.  Her one big qualm was the pig though.  Spider-Man Noir was hilarious as was Miles inner dialogue before it got more serious.  Has there been any buzz about a sequel yet?

Saw a preview for this in theaters, gotta say it is easily the most intriguing comic book hero trailer I've seen, do they take a cool idea and art style and turn it into a good movie, or is it all fluff no substance? Might take my brothers.

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Saw a preview for this in theaters, gotta say it is easily the most intriguing comic book hero trailer I've seen, do they take a cool idea and art style and turn it into a good movie, or is it all fluff no substance? Might take my brothers.

Not a good movie.

It's a GREAT movie.   Until TDK, I think Raimi's 2nd Spidey film was the pinnacle of superhero movies.   And I think this one surpassed Raimi's masterpiece.

Just go.  Thank us later.

42 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

very funny

Peter Porker was part of a kid's line of comics from Marvel in the 80's. Star Comics iirc.  They also did Heathcliff, Muppets comics.  I was reading X-Men so I didn't pay that line much mind.

He's not in it very much, thankfully.  I get that the movie pulls multiple other-dimensional versions of Spidey but let's skip that one please.  Marvel recently tried using a 2-D version of Wolverine in a recent volume of Exiles like he's from Roger Rabbit or something.  I passed on it.

The best part of Peter Porker is that he wasnt bit by a spider. He was a spider and was bit by a radioactive pig. And by radioactive pig, I mean May Porker, a mad scientist trying to introduce nuclear fusion into hair salons around the world!

And just in case ppl aren't clear - I've read the classic Spider-man comics in the 80's-90's on & off working in my HS/college job where the comics would come in, and the classic stuff (like Gwen Stacy's death), and the TV animated series when I was a kid/teen (original & 80's-90's series).   Other than that, with my teenage kids, I've read the Spiderverse series with the Morlun, the Superior Spiderman series, and pretty much nothing else.   

And honestly, if you didn't read the Spiderverse comics, you'd still be totally ok with watching this movie, it enriches the experience, but not necessary to follow what's going on.  It's both accessible to new fans who haven't read the comics or even know who Miles Morales is, and yet faithful enough to the comic lore that vet Spidey fans will come away pleased.   Truly a classic origin story movie, and a classic hero movie in its own right.

Archived