What to do with our linebackers? *Not your bleeding ***, or your fat ****

Kiwibrown

Collins was a liability all year with a few solid games and moments.

Shcobert started well I thought, but he missed more tackles than anyone else in the nfl and is a liability against the run. 

Kirksey is highly paid and his performance doesnt match it. I thought he played best when Schobet was out at middle linebacker. 

The first obvious move is to cut Collins. Replace him with Avery. 

Switching positions of with kirko and JoScho?

Kirksey sucks in coverage, and is decent against the run, he certainly commits to it harder than the others. While Joe is good in coverage and crap against the run. We should put him in at weakside. 

Would this change anything? 

Keep Schobert, cut Collins, pray Kirksey comes back healthy, sign Barrett, and draft a guy. I’m excited to see how Avery develops. 

Schobert didn’t have the greatest year but I feel like with how bad and inconsistent OLB, he was trying to make literally every play and that lead to joe making questionable reads, taking poor angles, and just finding himself in bad position. 

Its like some plays vs the Ravens. It’s like when he read anything outside he flew so incredibly hard outside because he knew the OLB weren’t going to make the play so he wanted to. With that Jackson pulls it and the middle is wide open. Where if Schobert was playing backside him and playing cut back defending, waiting for the ball carrier to cut back inside cause the Outside help was there, he would have never needed to abandon the middle so quickly and Jackson can’t make such an easy read. 

We definitely need to cut Collins. I'm hoping we upgrade his position through FA or towards the top of the draft. I think Schobert can fix his tackling issues, and he's still a starter with great instincts for the game. I'm afraid Kirksey's arrow is probably pointing down, but we should still keep him around for depth and situational play. Ideally we upgrade his spot, too, but that might be too much in one offseason (though I won't doubt Dorsey can find a way if that's what he puts his mind to). I think Avery is still best coming in on passing downs, too. Though really, we also need to upgrade the DL, and some of these guys like Kirksey and Avery might be better as starters if the line keeps them cleaner. Just as Dorsey really went after bolstering the secondary last off-season, I hope the front 7 is what he concentrates on this year.

Damn, I came into this thread thinking it was forum-wide intervention to tell me to get off my a@@ and get back into the gym.  

I was already to thank you guys for your concern.

Boy, was I wrong.

That being said, I do think Collins is not with the club next year.  I think another year of experience is going to do wonders for Avery being a bigger contributor than he was able to be this year. 

As honorable as they've been, to go to the next level the defense needs speed at the group. Schobert can't get outside without giving it 150%. 

Long overdue to follow the trend of the NFL such as Eagles, Bears, Broncos, Vikings etc..

9 minutes ago, matt27j said:

As honorable as they've been, to go to the next level the defense needs speed at the group. Schobert can't get outside without giving it 150%. 

Long overdue to follow the trend of the NFL such as Eagles, Bears, Broncos, Vikings etc..

I agree with the first point, JS to wslb.

What's the trend of those teams? Quicker linebackers?

37 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I agree with the first point, JS to wslb.

What's the trend of those teams? Quicker linebackers?

That's what I assume he meant as well. If we were to draft Devin White the LB from LSU I think that would be a step in the right direction. He is in my top 5 of players I want most in the 1st round and I think he will be a stud on any D. 

26 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

That's what I assume he meant as well. If we were to draft Devin White the LB from LSU I think that would be a step in the right direction. He is in my top 5 of players I want most in the 1st round and I think he will be a stud on any D. 

He will easily be a top15 pick tho. I would go crazy if he fell to the Browns!!!

Archived