Offseason/Coaching Rumors, 2019 Edition

TheKillerNacho

I will admit that I'm not a big McCarthy fan, so I will say that this isn't a move I would love at all, tbh. I just don't see how this starts, or ends well. But I'm also fundamentally opposed to retread coaches in this particular type of situation. I don't know how you expect superior results to what he has been giving Green Bay the last few years, when he's been pretty soundly criticized, when he had Aaron Rodgers and now he doesn't. Why are we expecting better results in that situation? 

I will admit that sometimes a change of scenery can be a difference maker, and it's not like retread coaches who had long first stops are completely unsuccessful or anything, but the ones who have succeeded, I have generally considered to be good to great coaches (Marty, Reid, Holmgren), which is not something I consider McCarthy to be. I think he's an okay coach. You could do worse. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Guess that whole, "will only come out of retirement for the browns" was a crock. 

To piggy back on this, seems like if he takes the job, he'd want to bring bowles in as DC, similar to what they had in Arizona

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Arians a lil bit overrated. You guise getting stuck with Joshy McDaniels probably though.

I don't think he is. He's had one losing season and that was in 2016 when the Cardinals went 7-8-1.

The only thing that would worry me about him is that he's older, so we'd potentially be looking for a new head coach again in a relatively short time.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Arians a lil bit overrated. You guise getting stuck with Joshy McDaniels probably though.

I don't know man. You can look at the difference between last year and this year, and the only major difference was Arians. He managed to win 5 out of 9 games with Gabbert and Stanton which I think is comparable to Bradford and Rosen. The offensive line was just as bad, if not worse, and they were missing DJ for the entire season. This year's team scored 60 points less, gave up 60 points more. 

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

His teams overachieved. The only issues with him are age and health.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I will admit that I'm not a big McCarthy fan, so I will say that this isn't a move I would love at all, tbh. I just don't see how this starts, or ends well. But I'm also fundamentally opposed to retread coaches in this particular type of situation. I don't know how you expect superior results to what he has been giving Green Bay the last few years, when he's been pretty soundly criticized, when he had Aaron Rodgers and now he doesn't. Why are we expecting better results in that situation? 

I will admit that sometimes a change of scenery can be a difference maker, and it's not like retread coaches who had long first stops are completely unsuccessful or anything, but the ones who have succeeded, I have generally considered to be good to great coaches (Marty, Reid, Holmgren), which is not something I consider McCarthy to be. I think he's an okay coach. You could do worse. 

With all of the openings this year, I'd be good with McCarthy if I had a young QB. His career in GB is quite comparable to Andy's career in Philly if you look at the results. I'd just need him to tell me that he's willing to revamp and evolve the offense he's running, like Andy has.

Archived