Offseason/Coaching Rumors, 2019 Edition

TheKillerNacho

I'm not an expert and i've been wrong many times before, could be wrong now...but it seems like a relatively weak HC market this year. Arians seems to be the top candidate, but its surprising to me to see guys like Munchak & Gase get looks after their previous terms..

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Redskins have marked Jay Gruden safe, but could see changes in the coaching staff.  One name being floated around is that Bill Callahan has been blamed for the massive injuries to the offensive linemen, and could be on his way out.......which makes no sense to me.  

That would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'm not an expert and i've been wrong many times before, could be wrong now...but it seems like a relatively weak HC market this year. Arians seems to be the top candidate, but its surprising to me to see guys like Munchak & Gase get looks after their previous terms..

I'd love to see Gase at the helm of a full rebuild, like what the 49ers are doing.  Miami had a lot of cap issues and a heavy veteran roster if I recall correctly when Gase came on board, and when you have that, it's really hard no matter who you are to make the changes you want to make, and then get things on the right track.   Give Gase a team that has a lot of cap, the ability to get a good young QB and he's going to do a very good job.  

But other than that, yes, you are correct that it seems there is a weak market this year.  A lot of "passing game coordinators" are getting looks, which should tell you how deep teams are looking for leaders. 

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know man. You can look at the difference between last year and this year, and the only major difference was Arians. He managed to win 5 out of 9 games with Gabbert and Stanton which I think is comparable to Bradford and Rosen. The offensive line was just as bad, if not worse, and they were missing DJ for the entire season. This year's team scored 60 points less, gave up 60 points more. 

Older, gimpier, money-motivated Bradford in 2018 and a rookie Rosen is worse than 2017 starter-driven Gabbert and longtime pupil Stanton in a familiar system. The offensive line was poor both years, maybe better in 2018. New staff, departures on defense, and a lack of leadership doomed the Cardinals this season. Arians no doubt did a fine job with what was there, but at his age, I'm not sure if he is the right answer coming off of a short retirement. I question his motivation like I question Bradford's. Is it the guarenteed position/authority and money driving you? Or is it the passion and competitiveness to win?

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:
4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Arians a lil bit overrated. You guise getting stuck with Joshy McDaniels probably though.

His teams overachieved. The only issues with him are age and health.

Add to that, that for Cleveland particularly, one of those (if not both) are likely safeguarded because Arians would be a comfortable bridge to Freddie Kitchens as HC and Kitchens staying on as OC likely helps gird against what had been Arians' areas of shortcoming in Indy and Pittsburgh.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Why?  Because they're both in Texas?

Yes.

Having both Texas teams lose on the same day will perhaps take some of the sting out of the media to come after O'Brien's head. Should the Cowboys lose, the focus will be mostly on Garrett choking again, his hot seat, and Jerry.

It might be less of an issue with Bob McNair's death. Were he still alive, I think it would be a bigger deal.

Early returns do not look good for O'Brien, though.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Yes.

Having both Texas teams lose on the same day will perhaps take some of the sting out of the media to come after O'Brien's head. Should the Cowboys lose, the focus will be mostly on Garrett choking again, his hot seat, and Jerry.

It might be less of an issue with Bob McNair's death. Were he still alive, I think it would be a bigger deal.

Early returns do not look good for O'Brien, though.

Seems kind of weird, but ok. 

Archived