Offseason/Coaching Rumors, 2019 Edition

TheKillerNacho

One thing that's interesting is all the offensive coordinator openings right now in the NFL. Arizona, Jacksonville, Detroit, Denver, New York Jets, and Tennessee are all scrambling to find a coordinator and Miami and Cincinnati will join the hunt once they get their head coaches finalized. With so little quality candidates available, it will be interesting to see how it shakes up. Aside from Jim Bob Cooter, are there really any other quality offensive minds in the running right now?

15 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

One thing that's interesting is all the offensive coordinator openings right now in the NFL. Arizona, Jacksonville, Detroit, Denver, New York Jets, and Tennessee all scrambling to find a coordinator and Miami and Cincinnati will join the hunt once they get their head coaches finalized. With so little quality candidates available, it will be interesting to see how it shakes up. Aside from Jim Bob Cooter, are there really any other quality offensive minds in the running right now?

Its slim pickens for sure. The fact that Mike McCoy is getting interviews for an OC job again speaks for itself. 

JBC, Flip and Bevell are likely the top names and each of them leaves a lot to be desired.

49 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

One thing that's interesting is all the offensive coordinator openings right now in the NFL. Arizona, Jacksonville, Detroit, Denver, New York Jets, and Tennessee are all scrambling to find a coordinator and Miami and Cincinnati will join the hunt once they get their head coaches finalized. With so little quality candidates available, it will be interesting to see how it shakes up. Aside from Jim Bob Cooter, are there really any other quality offensive minds in the running right now?

I assume we already have one lined up.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

I assume we already have one lined up.

Rumors are that Miami is hiring Jim Caldwell to join Flores' staff, presumably as OC.

But I haven't heard any rumors regarding Cincinatti's. Perhaps Zac already has someone in mind, but I don't think the Bengals can act on it until they officially ink Zac (assuming his candidate is currently on another team).

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Rumors are that Miami is hiring Jim Caldwell to join Flores' staff, presumably as OC.

But I haven't heard any rumors regarding Cincinatti's. Perhaps Zac already has someone in mind, but I don't think the Bengals can act on it until they officially ink Zac (assuming his candidate is currently on another team).

That info is probably airtight. Staff is something discussed during the interview process. We wouldn't be making all these selective firings unless there was replacements lined up. It wouldn't surprise if we refilled our entire staff a day or two after Taylor's officially hired. There is definite tampering-esque methods going on behind the scenes. 

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

That info is probably airtight. Staff is something discussed during the interview process. We wouldn't be making all these selective firings unless there was replacements lined up. It wouldn't surprise if we refilled our entire staff a day or two after Taylor's officially hired. There is definite tampering-esque methods going on behind the scenes. 

Definitely, but I wouldn't be so sure that everything's done, yet. There's six teams out there with head coaches who can't seem to fill out their coordinator positions.

He’s a guy that the Bengals actually targeted for weeks toward the end of the season as they knew they were moving on from Marvin Lewis. They did a ton of backchannel work on him.

When you talk to people on the Rams, you learn he is a football guy non-stop. When he went in and interviewed some places, I was told when he talked about offense — what he was able to use from Sean McVay’s offense plus some twist he put on it — other teams were blown away. He commanded the room in the interview process. He’s a guy who is very family-oriented, and he’s one of these 24-7 football guys who can connect with players and coaches, both old and young. Cincinnati, I thought, was going to be a hard place to get a good hire. If they do make this official, they’ll end up getting one of the hidden gems of this coaching class.

Jay Glazer on Zac Taylor.

https://theathletic.com/769804/2019/01/16/jay-glazer-mailbag-nfl-championship-weekend-coaching-hires/

Archived