Offseason/Coaching Rumors, 2019 Edition

TheKillerNacho

26 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Speaking of Mike Tomlin, not that there are any rumors he is going to fired but he is generating a lot of angst amongst the media and Steelers Nation:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14476789-74/john-steigerwald-time-for-mike-tomlin-to-walk-away-as-steelers-coach

My prediction is if Mike Mularky is hired to be Denver's head coach then John Elway will try to trade for Ben Roethlisberger. If Mike Tomlin is fired, then it would make it much more realistic in my mind.

I'm assuming you mean Mike Munchak.

41 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's like hiring Urban Meyer. What does he offer? Dabo relies on his coordinators to run his units at Clemson. He's not a special Xs and Os coach. His biggest strengths are his ability to recruit and his leadership/communication skills. Obviously, leadership/communication skills matter, but recruiting does not in the NFL. I think, unlike some other college coaches, Dabo could earn the respect of and lead a NFL locker room. The problem is that he's a guy who is totally reliant on his coordinators. What NFL connections does he have? If he can't land a strong staff, he just doesn't offer you much. Best case scenario, you have John Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin. But that's only if he lands in a great situation and can surround himself with good people. My personal philosophy with college coaches is that you only hire guys who have a lot of NFL experience/connections or have demonstrated mastery on one side of the ball and have the leadership/communication skills needed to lead in the NFL.

That’s fair. 

Im guessing Dabo, like most major college coaches, probably has a good relationship with a lot of guys in the league.  In our situation with Dorsey, I’m sure he could also provide some assistance in assembling a staff as well.

I agree that Dabo is one of the few college guys that could lead a pro team, but your concerns are definitely valid.

12 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Wonder why Scar would do that overall Koetter did a pretty good job for us while here and Ryan likes him alot.  I mean he did well enough to turn it into a headcoaching job with Tampa lol.  In 2012 under him was probably Ryans 2nd or 3rd best season and this year even though he didn't do amazing as a HC at times that Tampabay offense was straight scary with a set of QB's that couldn't figure out wtf they wanted to be on a weekly basis. 

Because Koetters passing concepts are atrocious. He'd be the worst coach they could hire outside of Mularkey.

7 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Right now, what do we think?

TB: Bruce Arians

MIA: Brian Flores

DEN: Mike Munchak

GB: Matt LeFleur

CLE: Josh McDaniels

NYJ: Mike McCarthy

ARI: Cliff Kingsbury

CIN: Zac Taylor

Aside from the fact that on a purely professional level, I wish Josh McDaniels nothing but the worst and utterly despise him, especially in Cleveland, he's said that he's done interviewing after the Packers and staying in New England.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Aside from the fact that on a purely professional level, I wish Josh McDaniels nothing but the worst and utterly despise him, especially in Cleveland, he's said that he's done interviewing after the Packers and staying in New England.

You are 100% correct and I agree with you on McDaniels as well. It looks like Fredie Kitchens may be the lead candidate since he was interviewes yesterday and was denied by the organization from meeting with other teams to become their offensive coordinator.

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

One thing this makes absolutely clear - keeping Gregg Williams as DC was made a contingency for consideration.  Not saying it can't work, but I've seen this strategy (not specifically Williams, but where owners were insistent that a coordinator be kept/forced on a HC) blow up in multiple franchises faces in the past.  *mumble grumble* Ted Cottrell...

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

One thing this makes absolutely clear - keeping Gregg Williams as DC was made a contingency for consideration.  Not saying it can't work, but I've seen this strategy (not specifically Williams, but where owners were insistent that a coordinator be kept/forced on a HC) blow up in multiple franchises faces in the past.  *mumble grumble* Ted Cottrell...

I can totally see it blowing up with Greg Williams if kept.

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I can totally see it blowing up with Greg Williams if kept.

I think it's less about Williams specifically being kept and more about that you've established from the onset of the hire that the HC doesn't have real control of his staff - and that can (and has in the past) become a slippery slope.  Dorsey, for his career as an executive, has only made lay-up HC hires.  Andy Reid was a relative no-brainer.  He wasn't nearly so involved beyond what was likely a cursory look and rubber stamp (especially for an internal candidate) when McCarthy was hired in Green Bay.  So really Andy was the only HC hire, till now, that he was responsible for.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

kitchens familiarity versus stefanski's well rounded experience for a young guy. id go with stefanski and like @The LBC said, be weary not to force anything coordinator wise. although this could work with an inexperienced head coach a la Mike Vrabel

I'm not trying to come out as anti-inexperienced coaches... but I also don't necessarily consider Vrabel inexperienced so much as he was just fast-tracked a little quicker than anticipated.  He was bring groomed for an eventual HC gig as soon as he joined the staff at Ohio State.  And he had a decent network of contacts - not the least of which was Belichick (who I have the feeling may have a softer spot for his former defensive captains than he does for his own assistants).

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I'm not trying to come out as anti-inexperienced coaches... but I also don't necessarily consider Vrabel inexperienced so much as he was just fast-tracked a little quicker than anticipated.  He was bring groomed for an eventual HC gig as soon as he joined the staff at Ohio State.  And he had a decent network of contacts - not the least of which was Belichick (who I have the feeling may have a softer spot for his former defensive captains than he does for his own assistants).

just making the point that pairing stefanski with a coordinator isnt too dissimilar to Jon Robinson sticking matt lefleur with Vrabel

Archived