What makes TY Hilton so good?

Hunter2_1

I haven't really watched much Indie ball, and he typically hasn't had huge days vs my team, so I don't know enough about him. To me, it's obvious what makes the likes of Brown, Jones, OBJ, Hopkins so good, but as for TY...

Can you enlighten me? 

He's not slow, but saying just "he's fast" is simplistic. He's shifty and quick. He knows how to create leverage with his cuts on routes. Small, agile guys like him still have a huge advantage when it comes to getting open.

Having said that, I'm not entirely sold on him as a true #1 WR. He can put up these huge games, but then he'll also put up games with 1 or 2 catches. Career high catch rate is 63%. He also doesn't score a lot of touchdowns. He just seems like a guy that ideally would be your #2 WR.

25 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

Having said that, I'm not entirely sold on him as a true #1 WR. He can put up these huge games, but then he'll also put up games with 1 or 2 catches. Career high catch rate is 63%. He also doesn't score a lot of touchdowns. He just seems like a guy that ideally would be your #2 WR.

Depends what you consider to be a true #1.  Is he a Julio/AB/OBJ/Nuk that's gonna dominate no matter the supporting cast or QB?  No, probably not.  But is he a top 15 WR who DCs gameplan against every single game?  Absolutely.  Just because he doesn't body DBs every play doesn't mean he's not a #1.  And since Reggie Wayne's last elite year (TY's rookie season), he hasn't had any legitimate threat to take any pressure off.  I think he's one of the more underrated WRs in the league.

I think the biggest factor i see that makes him so effective is that not only does he have that high-end darting quickness and shiftiness...unlike a lot of others, he combines it with great precision and an easy rapport with his quarterback.  Frankly, he just seems to be one of those guys with a natural feel for timing, space, and leverage.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think the biggest factor i see that makes him so effective is that not only does he have that high-end darting quickness and shiftiness...unlike a lot of others, he combines it with great precision and an easy rapport with his quarterback.  Frankly, he just seems to be one of those guys with a natural feel for timing, space, and leverage.

I agree, which is why I was "vein popping from my forehead" frustrated watching Hilton get a free release off the line on every snap in the playoff game vs the Texans. 

I think teams can slow him down with some physical play at the LOS. He'll get his (because he's good) but at least TRT something other than watching him run untouched in his route for a 30+ yard gain...

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:31 AM, Destructo Spin said:

Mans was the receiving champ 2 years ago. If Hilton's not a "true #1" then there are only around 6 or 7 of them in the NFL

On 1/10/2019 at 4:13 PM, freak_of_nature said:

It used to be that the best WRs were 6'3/6'4",  now you got guys between 5'11" -  6'1" as the top WR's. (didn't realize Michael Thomas was 6'3", a giant right now)

Harder to change direction with longer legs. Big guys are mostly deep/red zone threats nowadays (obviously some exceptions like Jones and Thomas) 

Archived