Predict the Final 53

ttitansfan4life

Been going back and forth on a couple positions such as WR and CB.

Final 53

Offense(24)
QB: Marcus Mariota, Matt Cassell
RB: Demarco Murray, Derrick Henry, David Fluellen
FB: Jalston Fowler
WR: Rishard Matthews, Corey Davis, Eric Decker, Taywan Taylor, Tajae Sharpe, Harry Douglas, Eric Weems
TE: Delanie Walker, Jonnu Smith, Phillip Supernaw
LT: Taylor Lewan, Dennis Kelly
LG: Quinton Spain, 
C: Ben Jones, Tim Lelito
RG: Josh Kline, Tyler Marz
RT: Jack Conklin

Defense(26)
DE: Jurrell Casey, Karl Klug
NT: Sylvester Williams, Antwaun Woods
DT: DaQuan Jones, Austin Johnson, Angelo Blackson
OLB: Brian Orakpo, Aaron Wallace, Josh Carraway
ILB: Wesley Woodyard, Jayon Brown
ILB: Avery Williamson, Darren Bates
OLB: Derrick Morgan, Eric Walden
CB: Logan Ryan, LeShaun Sims, Adoree Jackson, Brice McCain,  Kalan Reed
FS: Kevin Byard, Curtis Riley
SS: Johnathan Cyprien, DaNorris Searcy, Brynden Trawick

Special Teams(3)
K: Ryan Succop
P: Brett Kern
LS: Beau Brinkley

Keep 6 receivers with only 3 TEs and 3 RBs this year. Dodd is either traded or cut.

I'll do what in a little bit.

But Fluellen, even though he has had a decent preseason. I'm not sure if there is a place for him on the team.  Is he a better special team player than some other guys?  If he makes the team, he will be a healthy scratch on gameday I feel. 
Henry barely gets on the field some games, I don't see how Fluellen does.  We just can't afford to stash him on the roster because we like him. I think his spot can go to someone like McBride or find way for Dodd to make it.

9 Offensive lineman also feel like one or two players to much.  We have a couple of those guys that can play multiple spots.  I think a couple of those draft picks have to make it to PS. 

So that finds a way for Harry Douglas, Dodd and McBride to make it, and maybe another defensive lineman.

But I think Douglas and Dodd are on the team. Douglas especially. 

5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I'll do what in a little bit.

But Fluellen, even though he has had a decent preseason. I'm not sure if there is a place for him on the team.  Is he a better special team player than some other guys?  If he makes the team, he will be a healthy scratch on gameday I feel. 
Henry barely gets on the field some games, I don't see how Fluellen does.  We just can't afford to stash him on the roster because we like him. I think his spot can go to someone like McBride or find way for Dodd to make it.

9 Offensive lineman also feel like one or two players to much.  We have a couple of those guys that can play multiple spots.  I think a couple of those draft picks have to make it to PS. 

So that finds a way for Harry Douglas, Dodd and McBride to make it, and maybe another defensive lineman.

But I think Douglas and Dodd are on the team. Douglas especially. 

I don't think there's any way we go with 2 rbs and 1 fb.

STs is also not specifically relegated to return duties. Fluellen could contribute on different return and coverage teams, and if Seems is the backup returner, that gives him and edge over the rook (can't remember his name right now).

As far as the traditional 3rd down role, I think Murray is a tremendous weapon there, as he does an outstanding job as a receiver and pass blocker, picking up blitzes. It may mean Henry would be involved more on early downs to keep Murray fresh... Fluellen would take a few snaps a game to help keep both fresh. 

Bottom line is he's been the best back behind Murray/Henry all offseason and preseason thus far. It'd be a huge surprise if he didn't make it.

14 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I'd like to think McBride makes it over Weems, but I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas makes it over both. Though I think it's tough to see Sharpe and Douglas making it if neither are playing ST.

McBride could make it definitely... but Weems could too in a surprise 5/6 combo. They'd have to be really convinced McBride can help as the 3rd or 4th WR in a pinch.

But I think that's more likely than both Douglas and Sharpe making it. They need 1 receiver to make that can be relied heavily on STs... We won't have a 5/6 combo where neither contributes on STs.

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I'd like to think McBride makes it over Weems, but I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas makes it over both. Though I think it's tough to see Sharpe and Douglas making it if neither are playing ST.

Douglas is a back up for all the spots. I think he is sure to get a spot.

Davis, Sharpe, Decker, Matthews, Taylor, Douglas, Weems.

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Douglas is a back up for all the spots. I think he is sure to get a spot.

Davis, Sharpe, Decker, Matthews, Taylor, Douglas, Weems.

I just can't imagine keeping two receivers that will be inactive all year if the starters stay healthy.

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I dunno. If Fluellen  makes it i just dont see him dressing. I think they stash one on the practice squad and if injury happens call him up. 
There just arent any snaps for a 3rd RB in my mind. Henry barely gets the ball as it is.  

No team is going to go in to a game with just 2 RBs, especially when one of those RBs is Murray who has a bit of a tendency to get hurt. Usually suffers at least 1 injury a year. Fowler in an emergency could act as an RB I imagine but then that removes your ability to use him at FB. Fluellen plays on special teams units so he's not just gonna be sitting on the bench all game.

Despite Andrews getting like 2 or 3 touches last year he was active in every game(at least as far as I recall) for that very reason.

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

No team is going to go in to a game with just 2 RBs, especially when one of those RBs is Murray who has a bit of a tendency to get hurt. Usually suffers at least 1 injury a year. Fowler in an emergency could act as an RB I imagine but then that removes your ability to use him at FB. Fluellen plays on special teams units so he's not just gonna be sitting on the bench all game.

Despite Andrews getting like 2 or 3 touches last year he was active in every game(at least as far as I recall) for that very reason.

Well, I guess not to say we'd go in with just 2 RBs, but maybe sign someone that is cut?
I like Fluellen, but from I've read and seen, he isn't the best on special teams.

We shall see. Won't be mad if he makes it. Won't be surprised if he is cut.

My stab at it... not considering FA/waiver pick ups

Offense (24)

• QB - Mariota, Cassell
  • RB - Murray, Henry, Fluellen, Fowler
  • WR -- Matthews, Davis, Decker, Taylor, Weems, Douglas
  • TE - Walker, Smith, Supernaw, Amaro
  • OL - Lewan, Spain, Jones, Kline, Conklin, Kelly, Marz, Lelito

Defense (26)

• DL - Casey, Jones, Williams, Johnson, Klug, Woods, Blackson
  • OLB - Orakpo, Morgan, Dodd, Wallace, Walden
  • ILB - Williamson, Woodyard, Brown, Bates, Palmer
  • CB - Ryan, Sims, Jackson, McCain, Reed
  • S - Byard, Cyprien, Searcy, Trawick

STs (3)

• K - Succop
  • P - Kern
  • LS - Brinkley

Practice Squad

• Levin, G
  • Seaton, OT
  • Carraway, OLB
  • Muhammad, RB
  • Rest from waivers
  • Don't think Cunnigham is eligible... if not he'd make it... same with Tanney

Notes

• I usually like the 25/25 split O/D... but it's hard to do it this year.  And yet, even at 24/26, I could see Amaro cut in place of a 27th on D.
  • But... I see Amaro more likely cut for another position on offense instead of D.  A 9th OL (Levin/Matias?... FA most likely) is the most likely in this scenario.  Tanney is also a possibility, but I have a hard time seeing a 4th HB or 7th WR
  • I don't like going with only 9 DBs but I think he'll come from FA/waivers
  • Walden and Blackson are first on the chopping block to make room for another DB
  • I have a hard time seeing 10 LBs, when we play 4 max on each snap (as opposed to keeping 9 DBs when we play as many as 6/7 on dime packages)
  • It's hard to cut an ILB... but one  may have to go if they want to keep Walden and Blackson.  If Palmer can show he can fill in at OLB if needed, Walden is a goner.  
  • McBride is my dark horse at WR... but I think the staff likes Douglas too much.
  • Sharpe may be the hardest cut... but he may not be cut.  He could still  make it as the 6th WR... While a conditional trade remains possible (Cardinals, Bills, Jets, Niners... plenty of teams who could use a 4th WR type).
  • Kline may go from starting to weekly inactive.  If Marz beats him out, Lelito may beat him out for a starting weekly spot since he may be the only backup that can play C.  
  • If the roster goes like this... it's going to be hard to find the weekly inactives, barring injuries
    • Douglas/6th WR 
    • Amaro/9th OL 
    • 8th OL
    • Blackson or last DL
    • Walden
    • Who's the 6th
    • Who's the 7th
    • Weems, Trawick, Bates, Palmer all play key roles on STs

Archived