Argument for 4-2-5 defense

Alex

what does everyone think about the potential for a constant reminder in the media if this is a fail for the steelers, letting the best WR go .

Will the media constantly remind us about the picks and or players we got for trading the best WR? I think it could be additional drama that will sustain unless the deal eventually pans out both ways or if somehow the steelers win the trade.  If the steelers are not in the playoffs and AB is , then I can see some media feeding off that. If AB wins SB, it will really get some attention.   The drama and media could continue having a way with this franchise

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

About the same as when Homles was traded for a song.  I think they will get a lot more than a song if they trade Brown.  It would also not surprise me if Brown is a Steeler next season.

How would AB still be here? What has to happen?  I think they should keep him if they can get all the drama and disagreements to a minimum, but with this regime I don't see that as a reality. It could be another year of drama and BS with the steelers.  If it's that bad, it would be best if they could trade for proven vets or a young player that is about to break out . I don't trust colbert and his drafting crew thats for sure.

The only way Antonio Brown remains at Pittsburgh Steeler is if he comes out and admits he was wrong in this situation or explain in real detail truthfully how he wasn't wrong. If he fails to take real responsibility for this situation or continues to make a joke of it I'm sorry but he's not going to be here. I think there's a very real chance that he is traded and like it or not I do think now is the right time

There's also this read.
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/how-steelers-next-olb-coach-may-be-karl-dunbar/

Karl Dunbar is likely to take over the OLB duties. This is a strong indication. 
If I'm right, it's why they are willing to trade Antonio Brown. He can give you a draft pick and really good pass rusher (think Broncos). 

I see people saying we need a nose tackle; for the 4-2-5, you don't need a full-time nose tackle. Not always, there's a formation then alignments. Would Hargrave's talent be wasted? Maybe... Maybe not, after all, he is more likely to get more playing time. Yes, I fully acknowledge that Stephen Tuitt may be an outcast, honestly he is little overpaid for what he does and this coming from the person who really likes him too. 

It's definitely doable, not that impossible. As long we ensure the alignments and coaching aspects are there, we can make it work. 
Front 4 FA/DRAFT - Hargrave - Heyward - Watt

Vince Williams/FA - Morgan Burnett/FA/DRAFT

The safety position is becoming the premium pick now, I think the teams may overdraft them now, which may allow us to draft a decent pass rusher in 2nd. 

On 1/12/2019 at 7:46 PM, wwhickok said:

He will have until march when trades open. I dont believe itll happen. More importantly, I dont think he has that long.  It needs to happen soon before it becomes a hole too deep for him to climb out of.

He has to return calls from Tomlin and Rooney.  As long as he does not then the more it guarantees he is traded.  But the Steelers will not be forced into a trade

37 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Tuitt DID play DT at Notre Dame but it was in a 4-3

Only his last year there, I believe. He was also hurt most of that year. Remember they had that NT the year before that everyone thought was going to be a beast. I think the Texans grabbed him in the 5th or something. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Only his last year there, I believe. He was also hurt most of that year. Remember they had that NT the year before that everyone thought was going to be a beast. I think the Texans grabbed him in the 5th or something. 

Yeah I forget the name have that guy but I know who you're talkin about

Finding a run-stuffing defensive tackle, whether that's as an NT or 3-tech is easier to find today, you don't want a full-time player for that. Fortunately, it's actually a good free agent class for run-stuffing DT/NT. 

One idea that got my attention: Antonio Brown to 49ers. I think I would be okay with the trade and here's why; if there were a trade to be made, they are likely to send over a player with a contract the 49ers would like to dump. The likely player of this scenario is Malcolm Smith. He'd be a perfect LB for this scheme even.

Look, I'm not saying 4-2-5 will definitely happen, but the moves (Letting Joey Porter go, promoting Karl Dunbar), repeated schemes nearing the end of the season (as evidently of versus the Patriots and Saints), and Antonio Brown may indicate the new majority scheme. Just saying!

Archived