Aussie watching NFL

Truman49

Gday Texans,  hows things?  I’m sitting here in Melbourne Australia watching the Colts v Texans game and Im fairly new to NFL. 

‘I can’t post in the general forum for some reason (why is that/) so thought I would post here instead. 

So I understand the basic concepts of the game and what downs are and 1st and 10 and all that means but still unsure about some of the rules.  

At the start they just kick the ball towards the goals. What’s that all about?

why do they call out the players numbers?

Why don’t they just kick the ball towards the goals Aussie rules style to one of their team mates to gain distance?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I watch the game more.  

10 minutes ago, Truman49 said:

At the start they just kick the ball towards the goals. What’s that all about?

- Kickoff? Same as in rugby just when caught in the end zone teams generally don't run it out and it is brought out to the 25... Similar to 20m restart in rugby. 

why do they call out the players numbers?

- Quarterbacks are just communicating the linebackers on defense to the offensive line or any other blockers. It has to do with who is responsible for blocking each guy. "55 is the mike (middle linebacker)"

Why don’t they just kick the ball towards the goals Aussie rules style to one of their team mates to gain distance?

- Don't really understand this question. 

2 minutes ago, OzzyTexan said:

Thanks for those explanations mate.  

I don’t know the rules of rugby very well either so can you explain the kick off thing again?  

‘With my last question so the ball getsthrown out the back to the guy who passes it to someone else who then runs forward until he gets tackled. Why doesn’t he just kick it forward to a team mate up near the goals like they do on the 4th down, (I think I’ve said that correctly?)

Archived