My offseason plan

DR43

This could very well be it!  If we dont win the super bowl for this year then our window might very well be closed.  I've heard from multiple journalists that Ben doesn't want to play till he's 40 and Super Bowl caliber QBs are hard to come by.  My plan is to go all out and sign multiple free agents to win in 2019:

Free Agents: 

OLB: Jadeveon Clowney.  Failed to live up to his #1 overall but would not doubt be an upgrade over Dwyer.

CB: Ronald Darby.  This would require over paying for since he is the best of a small CB class this free agency.  However, since Haden is turning 31 and no viable slot CB behind him, we could really use Darby.

TE: Tyler Eifert.  Talent is certainly there but can rarely stay healthy.  Let's take a chance!

WR: Adam Humphries. Depth for if/when Antonio leaves town.

ILB: Jordan Hicks.  Added depth for the ILB position.

Draft: 

Round 1: Kris Boyd Texas CB - I'm sure that they would rather draft an ILB but none with the caliber are available in the mock drafts that I saw.

Round 2: Hakeem Butler Iowa State WRF - If Brown is still on the team, the Steelers wont say that Butler is his replacement as he is a very different type of receiver but we'll know the real answer.

Round 3: Elijah Holyfield Georgia RBF

Round 3b: Cameron Smith USC ILB - This is comp from losing Bell.

Round 4: Kaden Smith Stanford TE

Round 6: Cole Tracy LSU PK

Round 6b: Rashard Lawrence LSU DL

Round 7: Gary Jennings West Virginia WR

I would like Clowney, but its never going to happen.    If he hits FA, some team will pay him much more than we will.

Darby is somewhat overrated and not worth overpaying for.

HELL NO to Eifert.   Makes no sense.   He cant stay healthy to save his life.   Rather resign Jesse James.

Humphries is kind of a Switzer clone., but I wouldnt hate it.

Where is the Brown trade?   

Not a fan of drafting a RB that early unless they are a special talent.   Holyfield is arguably a reach there and is one dimensional.  Not a fan of drafting a WR that early unless we trade Brown before the draft.

We arent going to get a comp pick for Bell until 2020.

On 1/6/2019 at 5:36 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Darby is somewhat overrated and not worth overpaying for.

Who would you recommend obtaining to plaining CB?

Where is the Brown trade?   

Personally, I would cut him after June 1st to save $15 million.

We arent going to get a comp pick for Bell until 2020.

Bummer.

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

Personally, I would cut him after June 1st to save $15 million

I'm not a cap expert, but I've seen nothing that cutting him saves more money. They'd be on the hook for $21 million and get nothing back for him at all - not even a comp pick. That's something that's not even on the table besides as a last resort to prove a point. The numbers are the same no matter what you do. You can

I don't think people appreciate the level of betrayal Brown has actually engaged in. The Steelers trusted this guy and rewarded him financially, breaking their own rules. They pushed money forward for him repeatedly, increasing the cap charge if they did part ways. I don't buy he even intended to play that week 17 game. I think the agent phone call to Tomlin was about avoiding the loss of a game check/being hit with a charge of behavior detrimental to the team. Now he's going to turn around and demand a trade leaving the Steelers on the hook for a hefty cap hit while demanding more money from the team that traded for him with the suddenly favorable contract (which will lower his value - anyone with half a brain knows its coming).

People who think they can keep this guy are wrong, at least in my view, because he doesn't even want to be in Pittsburgh. He's parlaying what he has left of his reputation into a bigger payday. Right down to the attempt to paint himself as the only one who cares which is a complete byproduct of the organization selling him as hard as they could over the years. The Steelers have done everything over his career to paint him in a positive PR light. And they were very loyal to him, as if he were Hines Ward and not Antonio Brown.

Brown and Rosenhaus played the Steelers. Leveon Bell has something of an argument for him. James Harrison had something of an argument last year. Brown? He's got nothing. He's just a scumbag.

4 hours ago, DR43 said:

Who would you recommend obtaining to plaining CB?

Not sure.    Based on what I know, there arent many options in FA.    

4 hours ago, DR43 said:

Personally, I would cut him after June 1st to save $15 million.

You would rather cut him than potentially get a decent return on him?     After June 1st, there isnt going to be much out there to spend that kind of money on, anyway.

no clowney thats for sure, way overrated and will be overpaid. Eifert will be lucky to be able to walk again, such bad luck.  This team can't afford high priced UFA's anyways, maybe a CB at $9M but not a OLB at $15M. 

CB in RD1 is a good idea, as long as it is a legit CB.  I would hope they try to get a UFA proven quality CB or trade for a CB, but the draft in RD1 is also good - both is best because the team needs major help at CB.

Archived