AFC Wild Card: Chargers @ Ravens

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Damn, I was going to go to the Chargers sub GDT and congratulate them and talk about Derwin James, but there is no GDT...not even a postseason thread....wtf y'all?!

Derwin James is a freaking stud, man. I'm so angry we passed up on him for Hayden Hurst. Even with the mis-judged ball late in the game, he was all over the field today (and all season) and it's truly ridiculous that you guys got him at 16.

Our game threads keep going to SD forum by accident. 🤔

It's like this is the year the Chargers wash off all the bad mojo from the Mike McCoy years.

Win @ Arrowhead

Win 3 games where the probability of a L was 95+ percent in the 4Q.   

Win all your early road games on the East Coast.

Really, they manage to remove the @Foxborough curse, man, what a gauntlet they've done above.   Of course, the goal is the SB, but that's too far away, it's just 1 week at a time.  But man, I can't help but be impressed with the D, and the adjustments the Chargers made with their gameplan.   My only quibble (and it's a big one) was the predictability of the O, but I can get that it was a product of wanting to get Lamar Jackson to play catchup, and not with a lead.   Still, it's not a formula that will win @NE, and as the competition gets better and more complete on both sides of the ball.

My only quibble (and it's a big one) was the predictability of the O, but I can get that it was a product of wanting to get Lamar Jackson to play catchup, and not with a lead. 

The offense's predictability really had everything to do with the Ravens front 7. They can't block them and they knew that they could keep the Ravens offense in check. I expect them to open it up next week against the Pats.  

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

Gates is going to murder those LB’s. Ravens are the best defense in the league and they couldnt keep up with his pure speed. 

Only question is...will your LBs be able to contain the Thomas Bradys lightning fast legs. 

Chargers should get their stops but I feel the Chargers will lose the game in the red zone.

Pats probably -4 or so, but LAC have a great chance.

If they get through it will be a hell of an AFC Champ game regardless of who gets out of the other game. Rooting for some new blood.

1 minute ago, H.E Pennypacker said:

It's going to be a completely different game next week. Rivers needs to make that step up and put us on his shoulders. He was good enough today but nothing great.

Sidenote - man I love Gates.

4 catches for 35 yards is a monster day. He still has some work to do and needs to prove he can maintain it for a long time but right now, I bet he makes the Hall of Fame.

So the interesting part of today’s game; 7 DB’s played the majority of snaps against a run heavy team. Is this what the formula is? The quarter defense or was today’s success a one off? 

Incredible. This is the best Chargers team in a long time. The prior teams of years past choke that game away against the Ravens. They don't make the big plays needed to be made. Especially on the road. The Chargers don't win at Pittsburgh and KC late in the season just to qualify. If they beat New England in Foxboro, which is been a house of horrors for them the last 15 years or so, Anthony Lynn should get coach of the year. 

BTW, L-Jax has a lot of work to do as a passer. 

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Incredible. This is the best Chargers team in a long time. The prior teams of years past choke that game away against the Ravens. They don't make the big plays needed to be made. Especially on the road. The Chargers don't win at Pittsburgh and KC late in the season just to qualify. If they beat New England in Foxboro, which is been a house of horrors for them the last 15 years or so, Anthony Lynn should get coach of the year. 

BTW, L-Jax has a lot of work to do as a passer. 

Yep. There are so many games this year to look back on that we would have lost under McCoy/Norv and perhaps even Marty. Lynn has bought a real belief to this team, there is no doubt about it. We were only a good kicker away from making the tournament last year and now we have that good kicker.

Whatever happens against NE I think we have a good 3 year (as long as we have Rivers) window to get that ring, but lets please make it this year.

2 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

So the interesting part of today’s game; 7 DB’s played the majority of snaps against a run heavy team. Is this what the formula is? The quarter defense or was today’s success a one off? 

Well the crowded the box. Having all those DBs means never a mismatch with a LB. allowed for DBs to be better recovering on a PA play and if Jackson broke contain, you had the speed to not allow him to rip a huge play. 

Archived