AFC Wild Card: Chargers @ Ravens

JAF-N72EX

Crazy thing is Chargers were missing 4 starters.. 5 if ya count Brown from their front 7 and still beasted. I'm not a believer in if ya hypothetically add them next year, it automatically equates to better play or production, other variables change. Just impressive how good they played missing 4-5 starters on their front 7 this game and for parts of the season. Goes back to that depth drum i keep beating.

10 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

So the interesting part of today’s game; 7 DB’s played the majority of snaps against a run heavy team. Is this what the formula is? The quarter defense or was today’s success a one off? 

We have a lot of depth, just to be able to play all those guys.

I fell a lot of teams would struggle with quality after putting so many DBs on the field. And I can't understate how willing and effective a lot of those guys are on run support, yet another factor that is hard to translate to other teams.

Meh... other than Lamar having his worst game as a starter (and probably even more significant) the biggest change/adjustment was a complete flip in who won the matchup between the Ravens O-line and the Chargers D-line. The Ravens O-line dominated in week 16 and they were destroyed yesterday.

So, not really an adjustment at all. They tried the Bosa shifting inside thing in week 16 too, and it didn't work nearly as well as it did in the playoff game. Same personnel, same schemes, just a different outcome from the individual players.

12 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Crazy thing is Chargers were missing 4 starters.. 5 if ya count Brown from their front 7 and still beasted. I'm not a believer in if ya hypothetically add them next year, it automatically equates to better play or production, other variables change. Just impressive how good they played missing 4-5 starters on their front 7 this game and for parts of the season. Goes back to that depth drum i keep beating.

5 hours ago, kramxel said:

We have a lot of depth, just to be able to play all those guys.

I fell a lot of teams would struggle with quality after putting so many DBs on the field. And I can't understate how willing and effective a lot of those guys are on run support, yet another factor that is hard to translate to other teams.

Reading some articles about this game, there are things that really stand out that indicate that Gus Bradley ran goddamn circles around Marty Mornhinweg yesterday.

• Chargers were in Dime formations for basically the ENTIRE game, whereas the Ravens stayed in 3 WR sets all game and our blocking TE's (Nick Boyle and Maxx Williams) both played season-low snap counts. Doesn't make sense.
  • Chargers apparently knew what plays were coming based off of formations and Ronnie Stanley's stance - again just embarrassing.
  • Ravens apparently didn't change anything from the last time the Chargers played in terms of their formula and plays, which is just mind-blowing.
  • Chargers played better against the run without Brandon Mebane, and I think a lot of that is a result of what I mentioned above.

All in all, the Chargers did their homework, brought out adjustments while the Ravens were all like "lol it worked last time so it'll work again!" all game long. Just completely embarrassing.

45 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Reading some articles about this game, there are things that really stand out that indicate that Gus Bradley ran goddamn circles around Marty Mornhinweg yesterday.

• Chargers were in Dime formations for basically the ENTIRE game, whereas the Ravens stayed in 3 WR sets all game and our blocking TE's (Nick Boyle and Maxx Williams) both played season-low snap counts. Doesn't make sense.
  • Chargers apparently knew what plays were coming based off of formations and Ronnie Stanley's stance - again just embarrassing.
  • Ravens apparently didn't change anything from the last time the Chargers played in terms of their formula and plays, which is just mind-blowing.
  • Chargers played better against the run without Brandon Mebane, and I think a lot of that is a result of what I mentioned above.

All in all, the Chargers did their homework, brought out adjustments while the Ravens were all like "lol it worked last time so it'll work again!" all game long. Just completely embarrassing.

LAC DC Gus Bradley still deserves a ton of credit.   They didn’t go dime - they went 7 DB for 57 out of 58 snaps.  That’s INSANE.  Call it the quarter formation lol. 

Going 7 DB was ingenuous given they lost Jatavius Brown (and Mebane was out with Perryman / Liuget out for the year).  They went 4-0-7 for 57 of 58 snaps.  That was because 4 of their front 7 best players out and they needed to find a way to limit the run and spy Lamar - but they still found a way.  They had the front 4 sell out to shoot the gaps to disrupt the inside run.     That doesn’t work without at least 2 guys who can play the run and tackle with certainty behind them but Derwin James and Adrian Phillips were those 2 guys yesterday.  The other DB’s speed then allowed them to not be in out of position with Lamar scrambles.    Only 1 mistake by Hayward and some crazy scrambling improv (and 2-3 great throws) broke the spell in the 4Q.  Now few teams have 6-7 DB they are willing to play most of the game let alone think of this.    

Hats off to their coaching staff and Gus Bradley for being innovative and bold.  Hopefully their O game plan is similarly bold this week.   They will need it NE.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

LAC DC Gus Bradley still deserves a ton of credit.   They didn’t go dime - they went 7 DB for 58 out of 59 snaps.  Call it the quarter formation lol. 

Going 7 DB was ingenuous given they lost Jatavius Brown (and Mebane was out with Perryman / Liuget out for the year).  They went 4-0-7 for 58 out of 59 snaps.  That was because 4 of their front 7 best players out and they needed to find a way to limit the run and spy Lamar - but they still found a way.  They had the front 4 sell out to shoot the gaps to disrupt the inside run.     That doesn’t work without at least 2 guys who can play the run and tackle with certainty behind them but Derwin James and Adrian Phillips were those 2 guys yesterday.  The other DB’s speed then allowed them to not be in out of position with Lamar scrambles.    Only 1 mistake by Hayward and some crazy scrambling improv (and 2-3 great throws) broke the spell in the 4Q.  Now few teams have 6-7 DB they are willing to play most of the game let alone think of this.    

Hats off to their coaching staff and Gus Bradley for being innovative and bold.  Hopefully their O game plan is smilarlu bold this week.   They will need it NE.  

Yeah, and it also helps that Baltimore didn't counter that personnel with jumbo packages, and instead just played into LAC's hands all game long with 3 WR's and 1 TE (and our 1 TE is also basically a WR so....4 WR's). It's just insanity. 

Hopefully their O game plan is similarly bold this week.   They will need itNE.  

I have a feeling Ekeler and Gordon are going to eat next week in the passing game. Those Pat LBs are old and slow and should be targeted often and early. 

10 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I have a feeling Ekeler and Gordon are going to eat next week in the passing game. Those Pat LBs are old and slow and should be targeted often and early. 

Even if he’s just a decoy Hunter Henry would help too.   Otherwise they will bracket Allen and put Gilmore on him or M-Williams when they line up outside so the matchups are definitely on the LB’s.  

I don’t expect a 7-DB repeat @NE.  The key is to get pressure inside on Brady.   Should be a great game.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Even if he’s just a decoy Hunter Henry would help too.   Otherwise they will bracket Allen and put Gilmore on him or M-Williams when they line up outside so the matchups are definitely on the LB’s.  

I don’t expect a 7-DB repeat @NE.  The key is to get pressure inside on Brady.   Should be a great game.  

Yeah, LBC mentioned it earlier, but I really hope Gus moves Bosa or Ingram inside more. Brady is the best in the league when it comes to dealing with pressure from the edge,  it is up the middle where you can get him. 

Just now, game3525 said:

Yeah, LBC mentioned it earlier, but I really hope Gus moves Bosa or Ingram inside more. Brady is the best in the league when it comes to dealing with pressure from the edge,  it is up the middle where you can get him. 

Inside Bosa can get it done.  They can also put Nwosu on the edge - but stunts will work too.   Nwosu wasn’t the guy I thought they should target - but he certainly gives them the ability to be creative with Bosa / Ingram. 

Bradley might have been a bad to terrible HC but man he’s a great DC.   I can’t wait to see what he dials up next week.  

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Inside Bosa can get it done.  They can also put Nwosu on the edge - but stunts will work too.   Nwosu wasn’t the guy I thought they should target - but he certainly gives them the ability to be creative with Bosa / Ingram. 

Bradley might have been a bad to terrible HC but man he’s a great DC.   I can’t wait to see what he dials up next week.  

Gus and Whiz being such crap head coaches helps us so much. This isn’t like when we had Wade/Cam getting poached in the same season. No one wants our Coordinators as HC’s again. 

21 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

My money is on the Pats, but the notion that they cant beat the Pats because they nearly lost to the Lamar Jackson Ravens (when the Ravens have a much better D than the Pats, too) is just stupid.

Last time I checked, the Pats lost to a Ravens team back in 2012 that lost to Charlie Batch and nearly lost to Byron Leftwich.   The whole "They lost to this team, so they dont have a chance vs this team" is always a stupid argument.

The whole "it happened in the past so it will happen again" is always a stupid argument.

20 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Gates is going to murder those LB’s. Ravens are the best defense in the league and they couldnt keep up with his pure speed. 

I was also really surprised at his speed. Incredible how he has become even more nimble closing in on 40 years of age. Seemed like he has significantly slimmed down, must be 230 now at this point.

Archived