AFC Wild Card: Chargers @ Ravens

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

If you run the same 10~ plays every week with zero changes, any offense will get figured out.

Well to be fair, we ran the same plays for 7 straight weeks and nobody figured us out until the 2nd time we played a team. There's a theme there and I don't like where it's heading.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well to be fair, we ran the same plays for 7 straight weeks and nobody figured us out until the 2nd time we played a team. There's a theme there and I don't like where it's heading.

You have to take into account we had basically one bye week to insert a completely different playbook and offensive scheme. Now we have 8 months to get an offense ready for next year. If we absolutely suck next year then we can have this discussion.

One instance doesn't equal a theme. The Chargers adjusted, we didn't. Stagnation is the quickest way to lose in this league.

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

You have to take into account we had basically one bye week to insert a completely different playbook and offensive scheme. Now we have 8 months to get an offense ready for next year. If we absolutely suck next year then we can have this discussion.

One instance doesn't equal a theme. The Chargers adjusted, we didn't. Stagnation is the quickest way to lose in this league.

That's a fair point. You had a rookie QB taking over mid-season. It would be extremely difficult to change up much about that offense in the week leading up to the Chargers game. You'd risk confusing Jackson and the rest of the offense after transforming it around him just a couple months earlier.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:43 PM, The LBC said:

I don't think I'm wrong about him, I'm realistic about how his skillset translates to the league.  Yes, Brown replaces White when White went out with injury, but you'll notice how in the limited instances in which he was used at MIKE when Perryman was injured, he pretty well flopped there.  Now, White's not going to play MIKE, neither is Emmanuel.  And despite the current success that he's having there, I don't know that ideally Bradley would prefer to have Adrian Phillips there full-time versus having a safety corps that allows them freelance Derwin and King to cover the slot or TE's, Jenkins (presumably to eventually replace into Addae's spot as the high-safety who comes down as a blitzer on occasion), and Phillips as the multi-tool who can be played close to the LOS to keep mystery in what Derwin's role is on any given play - which makes his raw athleticism so much more dangerous.

They're going to need to, probably want to replace Perryman with (ideally) a horizontal Bobby Wagner type of "roamer on the wall" (as that sideline to sideline wall has always been a key theme in Bradley's scheme dating back to Seattle) that has the burst to be sent to shoot a gap if the IOL leave him unaccounted for (it's legitimately why I thought this time last year that Darius Leonard was a phenomenal fit for the Chargers as that was his role to a "T" at South Carolina State).  @Duffman57 can confirm, I was really high on him early on in the process.

Not quite the same prospect because I don't think he has tape that's going to make people swoon - the same way people would have/did with Leonard's (where level of competition and size were his big knocks), but I think Kentucky's Jordan Jones is definitely coachable in this role.  Germaine Pratt's intriguing too given that he literally an oversized-safety (or at least a converted safety who bulked up to 245 lbs - willing to be he probably comes into the combine in the low 240's if not a shade under just to try and streamline his range).

I remember that particularly because I wasn't the biggest fan of Leonard coming out.  I actually wasn't the biggest fan of both him or Roquan's film, as their role was really similar, and you are correct that they both were tasked to play that kind of sift through traffic, and run sideline to sideline role with the occasional chance to burst through the line.  I just felt like too often, they had chances to do that, but seemed too passive.

The guy that I actually thought filled that role insanely well as Jerome Baker, but I don't think the mentality fit well with this team (while he played fast and somewhat physical for a LB his size, he kind of seemed lazy on the field).

I haven't looked into many people this class, but just looking at the two you mentioned, I think Pratt's tape looks REALLY good. Not quite as big of a fan as Jones, but I don't exactly have the best track record with LB's hahaha.  I haven't looked into anyone else, so if you got any other names for me with that role let me know LBC.  Since you know I'm a # pattern guy...the type of guy that they love for that position (Looking at Deion Jones (w/ Smith in ATL), Wagner, Telvin, among a few others), they seem to love tall/lankier guys who can run, but may be somewhat straight-line-ish (generally have poorer agility numbers) and good explosive traits. Jatavis actually fits that mold, but he hasn't shown the instincts and ability to work through traffic that the others have.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:12 PM, childofpudding said:

That's a fair point. You had a rookie QB taking over mid-season. It would be extremely difficult to change up much about that offense in the week leading up to the Chargers game. You'd risk confusing Jackson and the rest of the offense after transforming it around him just a couple months earlier.

We still had a lot more plays within the existing system that we simply didn't use. I understand not implementing MORE plays, but to just continue running the same stuff against a wall and refusing to try to adjust with the inventory you have is inexcusable, an why Marty was demoted (and ultimately fired because he's not coming back to the team).

Archived