Letting Potential Fumbles Play Out?

mse326

So in many games, and a couple already in this postseason, there have been close plays about whether a player was down or whether he fumbled. And in some of them the player is called down only to find out in replay it was a fumble which ended up costing the defense a TD or big return. The question the always arises should you just let it play out and then figure it out. The majority of people seem to think they should. I don't.

Here's my reasoning. Replay already puts the thumb on the scale of letting the call on the field stand. If you go on the theory that we should let it play out if close then you are putting a thumb on the scale of calling a turnover on the field. That has the effect of the rules putting a thumb on the scale of a turnover. I don't see that as a viable system. With replay putting the thumb on the scale of letting the call on the field stand you have to tell the refs to call what they believe to be the correct call in the moment. If it is wrong, that happens. But at least the rules don't favor a specific result.

I thought it would be good to have a thread discussing the theory and merits of both arguments without the immediacy of a specific play to complain about or the gameday thread limitations on an actual discussion of the topic. So what say you.

8 minutes ago, Herm the Squirm said:

It's insane to me that they don't let these play out more often. If it's even somewhat close, let the play keep going! Really the only argument against it is that it could lead to more injuries. But it's worth the risk to get the call right in my opinion.

Really? The only argument? Because I'm pretty sure I made a very different argument in the OP. Would like to hear why it is so absurd to not even be considered an argument.

I've always thought you should always let the play play out. Same with ball carriers staying in bounds. Let it go. Cause replay can always if it's not a fumble  but it can't fix the return after it's blown dead. Unless it obvious let the plays happen and let replay fix it if need be 

1 minute ago, marshawn lynch said:

Cause replay can always if it's not a fumble

But that's just it, it can't. Only if it's clearly wrong. And often that depends on camera angles and where players happen to be falling. Thumb upon thumb

I agree with those that say don't blow it dead, but allow the refs to confer and make a ruling when the play is finished, then go to replay to confirm the ruling on the field. Obviously we're talking about the close bang bang plays not everytime the ball comes loose. If the payer is clearly down well before the ball comes out they can blow it dead. Right now it seems the refs guess when they aren't sure. Of course there could still be missed calls but they should try to made sure the calls are right as much as a possible on such important potentially game changing plays.

IMO they should call what they see, but also let it play out, as some have mentioned. So don't necessarily rule it a fumble just to let it play out, but let the defense recover it and return it without blowing the whistle, then convene and if the refs thought it was down, rule it down. That way the ruling is still what they thought, but if replay happens they have a full play to overturn it to.

They should first get rid of the "overwhelming evidence to overturn" provision in instant replay. The only guideline for instant replay should be getting it correct.

Then the officials can be advised to err on the side of letting it play out in all circumstances knowing that if it's close, instant replay can sort it out.

Archived