1st & 5 or 2nd & 1

Centurion

1st & 5 or 2nd & 1?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. 1st & 5 or 2nd & 1

• 1st & 5
    • 2nd & 1

2 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Like the title says. Basically, scenario, defense jumps offsides and you gain 9 on first down. Do you accept the penalty for 1st and 5 and the extra down? Or do you decline for 2nd and 1 for the shorter distance to go?

Your avatar is freakin awesome dude

I feel like it depends on how confident you are in your team. I think a team with a better offense would rather have 1st and 5 but a weaker team would prefer to be a couple yards farther along and closer to a first down even if it costs them a down

I'd love to get some analytics showing which is more likely to keep a driving going.  Personally, I'm leaning toward 2 & 1, I feel like an offense is more likely to keep a driving going with 2 chances to get 1 yard as opposed to 3 to get 5, but I could absolutely be wrong.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:33 PM, Forge said:

I'd love to get some analytics showing which is more likely to keep a driving going.  Personally, I'm leaning toward 2 & 1, I feel like an offense is more likely to keep a driving going with 2 chances to get 1 yard as opposed to 3 to get 5, but I could absolutely be wrong.

I would be curious about it too. I personally feel 2nd and 1 is better (assuming all things equal with field position, clock management etc). Of course going by typical OC (or at least Jaguars OC), they call run right up the gut using a predictable formation,  gets stuffed and gets 3rd and 4 next lol

Archived