1st & 5 or 2nd & 1

Centurion

1st & 5 or 2nd & 1?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. 1st & 5 or 2nd & 1

• 1st & 5
    • 2nd & 1

52 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

2nd and 1 all day.  We’d go for it on fourth down anyway.  If we can’t get a yard in 3 plays we deserve to punt.

you wouldn't be punting but point still stands

On 1/6/2019 at 5:01 PM, Centurion said:

Like the title says. Basically, scenario, defense jumps offsides and you gain 9 on first down. Do you accept the penalty for 1st and 5 and the extra down? Or do you decline for 2nd and 1 for the shorter distance to go?

Depends on so much for me but I'd say in most instances, I'd rather have the 1st and 5 with the Chiefs because Mahomes gets an extra down to work with.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, Malfatron said:

1st and 5. more downs.

I'd argue you have more downs on 2nd & 1. On 2nd & 1 you have whole playbook at your disposal because barring a loss on the play, you can just run for 1 yard on 3rd/4th down. On 1st and 5, you would have to gain yardage to justify going for it on 4th.

Let's say on 2nd & 1 the defense gets a massive sack for loss. Then you're faced with say 3rd & 14 which is a tough conversion. If that happened on 1st & 5, then you have 2nd & 18 which is a little more reasonable to overcome with an extra down.

I'm sure if you analyzed the risk/reward percentages, it would say take 1st & 5. Majority of teams can run a 1st down play for at least 3-4 yards, which ultimately makes it just as safe of an option as 2nd & 1, and I'd imagine that with the extra down that the risk potential is lower. I personally want as many cracks at a big play as possible and you're a lot more unpredictable on 1st & 5 IMO, so I'd take 1st & 5 but I could see the argument both ways.

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

I'd argue you have more downs on 2nd & 1. On 2nd & 1 you have whole playbook at your disposal because barring a loss on the play, you can just run for 1 yard on 3rd/4th down. On 1st and 5, you would have to gain yardage to justify going for it on 4th.

How can you possibly argue you have more downs on 2nd & 1? You literally have one less down.

15 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Yeah.  That's pretty much how i look at it.  Sure, you lose a down "numerically", but it gives you all sorts of freedom to play around and take whatever shots you want on 2nd and 3rd down, with that 1 yard play in your back pocket for 4th down if it absolutely comes down to it.  You can be plenty unpredictable with those 2 downs.  And ultimately, moving the chains is a good thing.  Closer to moving them is better.

Even taking that element away if we're talking situations where 4th&1 is no bueno, i still think that if you don't believe you can get 1 yard on 2 chances somehow...what good is an extra down gonna do you when you have to get 5 times the yardage?  Like...the argument seems to be..."what if you take a loss on 2nd down???"  But what if you take a loss on 1st and 5?  You're in  a far worse position than the alternative starts with.

18 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Let's say on 2nd & 1 the defense gets a massive sack for loss. Then you're faced with say 3rd & 14 which is a tough conversion. If that happened on 1st & 5, then you have 2nd & 18 which is a little more reasonable to overcome with an extra down.

I'm sure if you analyzed the risk/reward percentages, it would say take 1st & 5. Majority of teams can run a 1st down play for at least 3-4 yards, which ultimately makes it just as safe of an option as 2nd & 1, and I'd imagine that with the extra down that the risk potential is lower. I personally want as many cracks at a big play as possible and you're a lot more unpredictable on 1st & 5 IMO, so I'd take 1st & 5 but I could see the argument both ways.

On 2nd and 1 I'm not running a 7 step drop. I convert on 2nd down. 

I'm running the ball or 3 step drop. 

Archived