Josh McDaniels as a HC

DawgX

Browns fan here. Rumors are heating up that there's a lot of mutual interest between Cleveland and McDaniels in McDaniels becoming the next HC, although they haven't officially requested to interview him yet.

Most Browns fans don't like the idea of hiring McDaniels. I'm not crazy about it either, but I don't think I'd hate it as much as others. My question is: what do you guys think of McDaniels being a HC? We all know his first stint didn't end well, but maybe he's learned from his mistakes. Do you think he's HC material, or should he strictly be an OC?

Thanks for any feedback.

I wouldn't hate it for the Browns, but I wouldn't love it. His play calling and decision making frequently stagnates despite some creative play designs occassionally. I don't trust him as a game manager either despite being a fairly compentent offensive coordinator. Might be a better head coach now, but my expectations aren't too high.

We won’t really know how good he’ll be as a head coach until he gets another chance. 

Another man who struggled as a head coach his first time around, but did ok with his second chance may come to mind. I think McDaniels could thrive in Cleveland or anywhere else if he were given the right opportunity. Having an all-planet quarterback doesn’t hurt, either. 

There are a lot of factors that come into play, but I think the Browns could do a lot worse than McDaniels. He’s an Ohio guy, and the Browns are already a good team. 

Good luck, brother. 

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I wouldn't hate it for the Browns, but I wouldn't love it. His play calling and decision making frequently stagnates despite some creative play designs occassionally. I don't trust him as a game manager either despite being a fairly compentent offensive coordinator. Might be a better head coach now, but my expectations aren't too high.

Having said that, what I like about McDaniels from his Denver days and in general is that he seems to have a decent eye for finding talent. I like that he knows what he wants and is willing to use his resources to go for it, rather than being conservative like other GM's.

It's really hard to know what he would be now, as compared to what he was with the Broncos a decade ago. The big question is whether he's learned humility. If he figured out that he's not the only one with a valid opinion on something, I think he can be a very good HC. If he's still the guy he was back then, then no.

McDaniels' tenure in Denver and his snub of Indy have left a dark cloud hanging over him. I'm not sure how I feel about him getting another chance at this point. I'll probably support him as OC of the Patriots just because I like your team, but as HC of a different team I would root against him on principle.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’m a huge fan of his scheme. I think it would help Baker excel.

Mayfield would crush it. Big time. 

For some reason the talking heads keep suggesting Green Bay. I’d take the Browns job in a second over the Packers. The AFC North will be less challenging than the NFC North. That alone should nudge McDaniels towards Cleveland. 

Archived