Jump to content
Brit Pack

So who do you want it to be?

So who do you want it to be?  

86 members have voted

  1. 1. With the first round of interviews almost over we are getting closer to finding our next HC, lets take a vote who do you want it to be???

    • Adam Gase
    • Matt LaFleur
    • Todd Monken
    • Pete Carmichael
    • Brian Flores
    • Joe Philbin
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Jim Caldwell
      0
    • Chuck Pagano
    • Mike Munchak
    • Dan Campbell


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, SSG said:

Based on what?  He crawled back under Bill Belichick's thumb the second he could after bombing on his own in both Denver and St Louis.  He then stayed in New England when his first opportunity to leave was given.  It's pretty clear that Josh McDaniels doesn't want to build anything.  He wants to stay in the friendly confines of Bill Belichick's  offense.  If he leaves it's going to be for another plush situation. 

 

I guess we will see if your assessment is correct soon enough. I doubt it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I guess we will see if your assessment is correct soon enough. I doubt it is.

I guess we'll find out.  It didn't seem to work for Cleveland or KC when they hired failed New England retreads.  Hopefully trying to become New England works for us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, SSG said:

Based on what?  He crawled back under Bill Belichick's thumb the second he could after bombing on his own in both Denver and St Louis.  He then stayed in New England when his first opportunity to leave was given.  It's pretty clear that Josh McDaniels doesn't want to build anything.  He wants to stay in the friendly confines of Bill Belichick's  offense.  If he leaves it's going to be for another plush situation.

Damn SSG....we've communicated for awhile now - so I know you've got some good insights - but it seems of recent the Evil Empire has taken control of you and you're just down on all sorts of things.

Regards McDaniels - I'm forgetting about what I dont know about - mainly the DEN stuff. I've read the explanations and its good enough for me. Too much too soon. The INDY thing: he rethought things and/or power brokered a better deal with NE. It happens. Were some assistants caught up in it? Probably in varying degrees.

But here's the deal. McDaniels has called the plays now in numerous SuperBowls. He's called the plays that got them there - he's called the plays that brought NE back from some 28-3 deficit - he called the plays that amassed over 500 yards against Philly last year. He's succeeded to get to the big stage. He's succeeded on the big stage.

Thats what I want - that skill and playcalling ability on offense - and nobody I'm reading about can match it. 

I hope he truly wants to leave NE - and I hope we make him an offer he cant refuse. Not some Russ Ball-like "Well if we short him here and there, we can afford an extra loaf of bread three years from now" BUY THE GUY and be done with it.

Edited by Leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SSG said:

I guess we'll find out.  It didn't seem to work for Cleveland or KC when they hired failed New England retreads.  Hopefully trying to become New England works for us.  

Luckily we aren't hiring the coach from Cleveland or KC so it's irrelevant.

I hope it works for us too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely understand the logic of the guys leaving NE not being what people thought they would. But that same level of thought would have also told us not to draft a QB from Cal because of their failures. That stuff doesn't worry me if they really believe he's the best guy for the job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I completely understand the logic of the guys leaving NE not being what people thought they would. But that same level of thought would have also told us not to draft a QB from Cal because of their failures. That stuff doesn't worry me if they really believe he's the best guy for the job

That is the key though- the team needs to have good evaluations.

As fans we want certain coaches because of what we think they are or want them to be as opposed to what they really are, since none of us have ever met any of the candidates, let alone talked to them, worked with them, or even really know what they are responsible for in their organization.

I am fine with whoever the team decides to hire since they should have all the information.

That being said, we should have a thread where we can decide now who to blame if it doesn't work out.  Maybe you should go public by selling stock in firegute.com because it could develop some heavy traffic in the near future and there could be good money to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leader said:

Damn SSG....we've communicated for awhile now - so I know you've got some good insights - but it seems of recent the Evil Empire has taken control of you and you're just down on all sorts of things.

Regards McDaniels - I'm forgetting about what I dont know about - mainly the DEN stuff. I've read the explanations and its good enough for me. Too much too soon. 
The INDY thing: he rethought things and/or power brokered a better deal with NE. It happens. Were some assistants caught up in it? Probably in varying degrees.

But here's the deal. McDaniels has called the plays now in numerous SuperBowls. He's called the plays that got them there - he's called the plays that brought NE back from some 28-3 deficit - he called the plays that amassed over 500 yards against Philly last year. He's succeeded to get to the big stage. He's succeeded on the big stage.

Thats what I want - that skill and playcalling ability on offense - and nobody I'm reading about can match it. 

I hope he truly wants to leave NE - and I hope we make him an offer he cant refuse. Not some Russ Ball-like "Well if we short him here and there, we can afford an extra loaf of bread three years from now" BUY THE GUY and be done with it.

What do you want me to say Leader?  I view him as a horrid human being that hasn't shown an ounce of quality character in his entire coaching tenure in the NFL.  While Mike McCarthy had his issues as a coach, I don't think his integrity or character could have EVER been questioned.   Josh McDaniels is a guy who's integrity and character has been questionable in every single situation that wasn't New England.  

I'm also not of the belief that it was just, "too much too soon" in Denver and St Louis.  He showed this last season that his treatment of people hasn't at all improved.  That's a character flaw not an issue having to do with age.  That's where my discontent for his possible hire comes from.  I also am weary of hiring from that New England tree as the list of failures is substantially longer than success stories.  Trying to replicate New England's success by hiring their assistants hasn't worked for anyone.  Hiring those failed assistants has actually worked out worse the second time around.

That New England offense went to the Super Bowl WITHOUT Josh McDaniels.  In the 3 years he was away from New England they had the 6th/ 3rd (rank in points/ rank in yards), 1st/ 8th and 3rd/ 2nd.  How can one look at that elite offense over those 3 years and come away saying Josh McDaniels is an irreplaceable part of it?  

Is he a great playcaller or does he benefit from the best coach and best QB ever to coach/ play in the NFL?  That's my concern given the failure he's been in both instances he's coached away from New England and Bill Belichick.  He's managed 3 offenses in his coaching career (Denver, St Louis and New England).  2 of those offenses got worse under Josh McDaniels leadership.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Is he a great playcaller or does he benefit from the best coach and best QB ever to coach/ play in the NFL?  That's my concern given the failure he's been in both instances he's coached away from New England and Bill Belichick.  He's managed 3 offenses in his coaching career (Denver, St Louis and New England).  2 of those offenses got worse under Josh McDaniels leadership.  

 

I hadn't really considered the St Louis situation.

Odd that McCarthy gets the grief he gets over the team's performance with Hundley, but I am not so sure that McDaniels with Kevin Kolb followed by Skelton was any better, and probably worse.  

It is not like he made Kevin Kolb an all pro, or even a plausible starter:  completed 57% of his passes, a little over 200 yds per game, 9 TD's vs 8 picks in 9 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SSG said:

That New England offense went to the Super Bowl WITHOUT Josh McDaniels.  In the 3 years he was away from New England they had the 6th/ 3rd (rank in points/ rank in yards), 1st/ 8th and 3rd/ 2nd.  How can one look at that elite offense over those 3 years and come away saying Josh McDaniels is an irreplaceable part of it?  

If you're referring to the 2011 season, McDaniels actually joined the team as an offensive assistant for the playoffs. So technically you're incorrect. 😘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

36 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I hadn't really considered the St Louis situation.

Odd that McCarthy gets the grief he gets over the team's performance with Hundley, but I am not so sure that McDaniels with Kevin Kolb followed by Skelton was any better, and probably worse.  

It is not like he made Kevin Kolb an all pro, or even a plausible starter:  completed 57% of his passes, a little over 200 yds per game, 9 TD's vs 8 picks in 9 games.

Kevin Kolb?  Think you are referring to Arizona's 2011 season.

He had Sam Bradford as his QB and it was his worst season as a pro up until this year.  That 2011 St Louis season at the time it occurred was one of the worst offensive seasons in the 10 prior years in the NFL.  While Bradford at the age of 24 wasn't a great QB, he certainly should have been serviceable given his historically good rookie year (at the time).

Edited by SSG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SSG said:

 

Kevin Kolb?  Think you are referring to Arizona's 2011 season.

He had Sam Bradford as his QB and it was his worst season as a pro up until this year.  That 2011 St Louis season at the time it occurred was one of the worst offensive seasons in the 10 prior years in the NFL.  While Bradford at the age of 24 wasn't a great QB, he certainly should have been serviceable given his historically good rookie year (at the time).

My mistake.  My brain went back to childhood and I was looking at the Cardinals and not the Rams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDaniels as HC

Gase as OC

Pettine/Bowles as DC

 

 

Get it done Murph...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Joe said:

McDaniels as HC

Gase as OC

Pettine/Bowles as DC

 

 

Get it done Murph...

I'd be totally fine with this. Especially Bowles, but we'll see if he gets snapped up by somebody else or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If Gase takes an OC job with an offensive HC I will eat my hat. If he doesnt get a hc gig he will go somewhere where he has control over the offense. 

Edited by JBURGE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Would he want to go back to NE with BB and Brady gone?

Ok, lots of replies here. I don’t know that answer but Indianapolis looks like it was a good job now and he screwed then over. Maybe he didn’t have the insite to as did others but what if AR keeps declining and it wasn’t McCarthy?  Does he stay? He bailed on Indy why wouldn’t he do the same to us?

just making an argument here that he’s not my guy. If we pick him, like drafting C Ferrel, I will root for him. 

Edited by MantyWrestler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×