QB are we good?

paraven

No. We went with an immensely talented QB, who almost everyone thought would need to sit a year to learn the position. He started early and played within a limited scheme. We build around him and don't make the mistakes we made with Flacco - trying to make him be something he is not. Mitch Trubisky is doing exactly what Lamar Jackson could do and that is enough to be a playoff contender.

The idea that every team need to find their elite talent at QB is wrong. There are only so few elite QB's and every time those guys don't have an oline, they aren't worth their money. Find a QB you can win with and build around him.

We should imo try to extend RGIII and find our Taysom Hill in the draft.

We're good at QB(Starter).

That doesn't mean we don't need to draft another one though. We absolutely do.

We need another talent in the pipeline. QB is an incredibly volatile position, anything can happen and you don't want to be left holding your nuts.

From an outsiders perspective, I think you'd absolutely need to add another QB assuming Flacco is gone. At the very least, you need a developmental QB that can toss the rock. I know you guys are excited about Jackson and realize that he's raw, but he still has a high bust potential. I don't think the Ravens offense will ever become a point scoring juggernaut with Jackson as your QB. Thats fine when your defense is awesome, but I wouldn't count on that every single year. A lot of your better defenders are older (Suggs, Weddle, Smith, etc...) and while you do undoubtedly have some good young talent on the defense to accommodate for their losses, I don't know if you can bank on your defense holding teams to under 20-25 points almost every single game.

Eric Dungey is an excellent running QB and is a tick better at throwing than Lamar Jackson. He seems like a great fit in Baltimore. Same with Nick Fitzgerald, as someone else mentioned. He's not a superb athlete, but he's quick enough to run in the NFL and is a better passer than Jackson. Those are two late round QB's you guys might be interested in.

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

From an outsiders perspective, I think you'd absolutely need to add another QB assuming Flacco is gone. At the very least, you need a developmental QB that can toss the rock. I know you guys are excited about Jackson and realize that he's raw, but he still has a high bust potential. I don't think the Ravens offense will ever become a point scoring juggernaut with Jackson as your QB. Thats fine when your defense is awesome, but I wouldn't count on that every single year. A lot of your better defenders are older (Suggs, Weddle, Smith, etc...) and while you do undoubtedly have some good young talent on the defense to accommodate for their losses, I don't know if you can bank on your defense holding teams to under 20-25 points almost every single game.

Eric Dungey is an excellent running QB and is a tick better at throwing than Lamar Jackson. He seems like a great fit in Baltimore. Same with Nick Fitzgerald, as someone else mentioned. He's not a superb athlete, but he's quick enough to run in the NFL and is a better passer than Jackson. Those are two late round QB's you guys might be interested in.

Almost sounds like you're implying the Ravens need a QB to develop instead of Lamar... lol

Just now, coordinator0 said:

Almost sounds like you're implying the Ravens need a QB to develop instead of Lamar... lol

In case of Lamar. I actually really liked him in the draft and thought it was crazy that he slid that far, but I watched him in almost every game he was in (other than the ones where the Browns played at the same time and he looked dreadful as a passer. I know it sounds like I'm being a little biznitch coming into your forum to talk trash about your QB, but I'm approaching this as straight-forward as I can. He looks incapable of running an offense if you get behind the sticks. You're going to need to run the ball even more effectively in 2019 and beyond to continue getting away with his passing limitations. Plus, while I doubt you guys will ever have a BAD defense, I wouldn't bank on shutting teams down every week like you guys did this year. He is going to have to win games as a passer and I don't believe he can do that right now. Sure he can make improvements as a thrower, but he would need to become drastically more consistent in that area to become a good QB.

I love the idea of a team running the ball every single play like madmen. Middle finger in the air saying come get some, B!@#%. But it's not a style that breeds long-term success and sustainability. I think if Lamar doesn't improve and the run game isn't able to replicate its excellence, this team could be in a lot of trouble with Lamar Jackson back there.

Who knows though. I'm really not trying to sound like a bitter hater, but I've seen some of the ugliest throws and mishaps from him that I've ever seen an NFL QB make. As a Browns fan, I hope he's terrible. But as an objective fan of the running QB's, I'd love to see one stick in this league. But you're going to need a backup plan in case there is no development from him.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

No way Nick Fitzgerald is better passer than Lamar. 

But he is the one college QB who I think can run the Ravens offense as it is set up for Lamar. And he is a big guy who can take NFL hits. 

40 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

No way Nick Fitzgerald is better passer than Lamar.

I don't see Nick Fitzgerald biffing the ball into the turn on a consistent basis. I don't see Fitzgerald missing wide open WR's and throwing the ball into the gut of defenders consistently.

Lamar Jackson showed me enough this year to give me hope. Now if he comes out and stinks it up next year that's a different story.

The coaching staff did absolutely nothing to help him in this Chargers game.

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

In case of Lamar. I actually really liked him in the draft and thought it was crazy that he slid that far, but I watched him in almost every game he was in (other than the ones where the Browns played at the same time and he looked dreadful as a passer. I know it sounds like I'm being a little biznitch coming into your forum to talk trash about your QB, but I'm approaching this as straight-forward as I can. He looks incapable of running an offense if you get behind the sticks. You're going to need to run the ball even more effectively in 2019 and beyond to continue getting away with his passing limitations.

Not to single you out, because you are not the only one with this take, but the people who say they liked Lamar in the draft but after 8 starts in the NFL as a 21 year old rookie think he can't make it, have the least valid of any possible opinion. At least be like paraven and consistently hate the guy.

Outside of Baker, who is way ahead (and also 2 years older), all of the rookie first round QBs need to improve as passers. Lamar actually had the second best completion percentage of the 5 first rounders. People will say that he is throwing to more open receivers because of the run first offense, but he is also throwing on the run a lot more (which means much greater difficulty and lower %) AND he definitely throws screens and check downs at a much lower rate than typical QBs especially rookies do. I would definitely bet his average depth of target is higher than the others, and give even odds for the entire field.

Also, I don't have the stats for this either, but having watched his every snap, I guarantee you are wrong about him not being able to move the ball when we get behind the sticks into 3rd and long. Watching the offense, that was probably the biggest positive change from when Flacco was the QB. Lamar can definitely pick up chunk yardage with his arm.

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Not to single you out, because you are not the only one with this take, but the people who say they liked Lamar in the draft but after 8 starts in the NFL as a 21 year old rookie think he can't make it, have the least valid of any possible opinion. At least be like paraven and consistently hate the guy.

Outside of Baker, who is way ahead (and also 2 years older), all of the rookie first round QBs need to improve as passers. Lamar actually had the second best completion percentage of the 5 first rounders. People will say that he is throwing to more open receivers because of the run first offense, but he is also throwing on the run a lot more (which means much greater difficulty and lower %) AND he definitely throws screens and check downs at a much lower rate than typical QBs especially rookies do. I would definitely bet his average depth of target is higher than the others, and give even odds for the entire field.

Also, I don't have the stats for this either, but having watched his every snap, I guarantee you are wrong about him not being able to move the ball when we get behind the sticks into 3rd and long. Watching the offense, that was probably the biggest positive change from when Flacco was the QB. Lamar can definitely pick up chunk yardage with his arm.

Not to mention he can pick it up with his legs, too. I have infinitely more faith in Lamar Jackson converting a 3rd and 5+ than I did Joe Flacco, simply because Lamar can extend the play if the routes aren't there - Flacco can't.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not to mention he can pick it up with his legs, too. I have infinitely more faith in Lamar Jackson converting a 3rd and 5+ than I did Joe Flacco, simply because Lamar can extend the play if the routes aren't there - Flacco can't.

Yep, forgot to include that, but I think more people expect that. When we got more than 10 yards to the sticks, Lamar was picking up chunks with his arm too.

Either way, getting holding call, while never good, didn't make me confidently expect a punt like it used to.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't see Nick Fitzgerald biffing the ball into the turn on a consistent basis. I don't see Fitzgerald missing wide open WR's and throwing the ball into the gut of defenders consistently.

Poor post. Nick Fitzgerald had a higher INT% and lower completion% than Lamar in college. 

Archived