QB are we good?

paraven

I don’t think we’re good. Jackson obviously has further to go as a passer than I thought. But I think that will happen with experience. The arm strength is there. I think he’s accurate enough. It just needs to click for him mentally. Now one problem that I never realized that is really concerning and I don’t know that there’s an answer for it is the fumbling. That’s alarming 

But no. I don’t think we should waste a draft pick on a QB. We need to use every resource available to make this team as talented as possible 

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I don’t think we’re good. Jackson obviously has further to go as a passer than I thought. But I think that will happen with experience. The arm strength is there. I think he’s accurate enough. It just needs to click for him mentally. Now one problem that I never realized that is really concerning and I don’t know that there’s an answer for it is the fumbling. That’s alarming 

But no. I don’t think we should waste a draft pick on a QB. We need to use every resource available to make this team as talented as possible 

The fumbling wasn’t an issue in college, so you weren’t the only one. But I’m honestly wondering if it has something to do with the balls we’re using because either all of our players have fumbling issues, Lamar’s hands sweat uncontrollably and coat the football in mounds of sweat, or we’re using balls that are a bit more slick than normal. Especially considering that the fumbling seems to only be a 1st quarter issue when it does happen. Which makes me wonder if them changing the balls out is fixing the issue.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

The fumbling wasn’t an issue in college, so you weren’t the only one. But I’m honestly wondering if it has something to do with the balls we’re using because either all of our players have fumbling issues, Lamar’s hands sweat uncontrollably and coat the football in mounds of sweat, or we’re using balls that are a bit more slick than normal. Especially considering that the fumbling seems to only be a 1st quarter issue when it does happen. Which makes me wonder if them changing the balls out is fixing the issue.

this has been happening all season.. Id have to think they wouldnt use slippery balls... 

Would love to see a compilation of all of his fumbles this season just to take a closer look on how they happened. Based on what I remember, I put his fumbles into a couple of different categories, some of which worry me more than others: there's some like the last fumble yesterday where that strip sack is happening to any and every QB in that situation and the fault doesn't fall on him as much as it does on the offensive line. Then there's the botched handoffs on zone reads that we saw from time to time: those are a combo of him and the RB's fault but it's not something that feels super concerning to me moving forward, and seems like something more easily ironed out as Lamar gets more reps. The Cleveland goalline fumble was somewhat flukish in the way it happened but in general that's probably just going to be part of the territory with having a running QB.

It's the other fumbles that are really the most concerning - the ones like yesterday where he just straight up dropped the ball in the pocket, or similar situations where a hit causes a fumble in the pocket because he seemingly didn't have a firm grip on the ball. Those are the fumbles where he's the most at fault and while those seem like fixable issues, it's also something to really monitor going forward. 

8 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Would love to see a compilation of all of his fumbles this season just to take a closer look on how they happened. Based on what I remember, I put his fumbles into a couple of different categories, some of which worry me more than others: there's some like the last fumble yesterday where that strip sack is happening to any and every QB in that situation and the fault doesn't fall on him as much as it does on the offensive line. Then there's the botched handoffs on zone reads that we saw from time to time: those are a combo of him and the RB's fault but it's not something that feels super concerning to me moving forward, and seems like something more easily ironed out as Lamar gets more reps. The Cleveland goalline fumble was somewhat flukish in the way it happened but in general that's probably just going to be part of the territory with having a running QB.

It's the other fumbles that are really the most concerning - the ones like yesterday where he just straight up dropped the ball in the pocket, or similar situations where a hit causes a fumble in the pocket because he seemingly didn't have a firm grip on the ball. Those are the fumbles where he's the most at fault and while those seem like fixable issues, it's also something to really monitor going forward. 

I'm way too lazy to look it up, but does he have smaller hands? I've also noticed his hands are pretty high up the football.

8 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Well said. It’s definitely an issue. But at least he seems to have great pocket awareness and tends to avoid those strip sacks more often. I remember Flacco’s pocket awareness led to a lot of strip sack fumbles that we lost.

Lamars concerning fumbles seem to be very weird. Never saw it in college. It also seems to be more of a first quarter issue. I really wonder what it is. Perhaps it’s a focus thing? Because it doesn’t make sense why it doesn’t seem to be an issue in the second half of games (not that I’m complaining on that front).

FWIW the handoff snaps seem to only be an issue with Gus Edwards, have never seen Dixon or Montgomery run into those issues. I’m guessing with training camp to get down each other’s habits they can correct their coordination. Read option handoffs have to be a developed skill for a back, especially if they’ve never had a history of it.

2 hours ago, M.10.E said:

I'm way too lazy to look it up, but does he have smaller hands? I've also noticed his hands are pretty high up the football.

9 1/2 inches which is bigger than the generally held cut-off requirement which is 9 1/4" iirc

His hands are bigger than Jared Goff, Pat Mahomes, Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers fwiw

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

9 1/2 inches which is bigger than the generally held cut-off requirement which is 9 1/4" iirc

His hands are bigger than Jared Goff, Pat Mahomes, Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers fwiw

Yup as well as Baker Mayfield (9 1/4”) and Sam Darnold (9 3/8”). 

Josh Allen (10 1/4”) and Josh Rosen (9 3/4”) are the two first round QBs with bigger hands.

Archived