Better story?

thebestever6

Better story?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the better comeback?

• Nick Foles 2017- present
    • Kurt Warner

Kurt... Foles was still a 6'6 3rd round pick, and one who was a pro bowler in year 2. His career arc is no doubt even crazier than Kurt's, but his lows (maybe calling it quits because he just didn't love the game) pales in comparison to Warner's lows (arena football league). Plus, what makes Warner's story special is his beginnings, and the second act just tops it all off to make it an all time great sports story.

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Kurt... Foles was still a 6'6 3rd round pick, and one who was a pro bowler in year 2. His career arc is no doubt even crazier than Kurt's, but his lows (maybe calling it quits because he just didn't love the game) pales in comparison to Warner's lows (arena football league). Plus, what makes Warner's story special is his beginnings, and the second act just tops it all off to make it an all time great sports story.

It's crazy that Kurt had the fumbling issues, than was a placeholder in NY. Then revived his career in Arizona because their first round pick was a bust and partied to much.

It's Warner and probably always will be. Fact is the 99 Rams situation with Trent Green going down and all those pieces was a perfect scenario. Then Warner had a pretty long leash and what happened in Arizona is because Matt Leinart wasn't as high of a product at that point and you had Boldin and Fitz and the risk of both guys leaving. The playoff run was awesome and really sucks we didn't win. He comes back next year and does great, basically putting up 3 solid seasons and then retires leaving us in a shell.

In terms of his Hall of Fame path, it's the stuff of legend but he had two MVP seasons and the Top 3 Super Bowl passing yard marks. I mean, common now. If Jim Plunkett had even 1 regular season MVP he probably gets in too.

Nick Foles has a long way to go with age, so we'll see. RIght now he's in Doug Williams territory, as in he's been a starter, played his way out and now injuries have allowed him to step in. I know Jim Plunkett will get brought up and at first I thought of him more, but the difference is Plunkett had a pretty long career, started most of 1980 and was the starter 82-83. So Foles needs to build up more games. If he retires in a few years he's got no shot at the Hall of Fame but he'll be well remembered in Philadelphia.

Foles really isnt a story. The same guy who took the Eagles to the playoffs in 2013 made Pro Bowl and threw 27tds and 2ints under Chip Kelly. Before he was traded to the Rams, as a starter in Philly he was (14-2) as a starter in 2013 and 2014. Then he went to St. Louis and got ruined by Fisher. He went to KC for a year and was (1-0) as a starter before going back to Philly and doing what he is currently doing now and thats win and lead the team to the Superbowl when he got his chance to start. Thats not a story.

Warner on the other hand is a story. The guy was cut and out of the league bagging groceries. **** Vermeil gave him a shot and kept him on the roster. He wasnt even supposed to be the guy in St. Louis. It was Trent Green. Green got hurt, Warner stepped in and became a success. Not just in St. Louis but in Arizona. He literally turned two franchises into Superbowl contenders. Now thats a story. 

14 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

No one talks about the Doug Williams, Jim Plunkett, or Mark Rypien stories? :(

Hosteler beats all of them. Plunkett is not a top story because he was a #1 overall and got two shots. Basically he recovered from his sack-manic earlier years, he had the tools.

I mean, if we rank all the good quality backups that got shots because starter went down, especially in the 80s, it's gonna be a longer list.

Rypien is an interesting one, certainly great circumstance because he was a great long-ball guy that had the best offensive line maybe ever. So pure luck, not the best story. Doug Williams was inconsistent as hell his entire career, that's on him.

8 hours ago, x0x said:

Hosteler beats all of them. Plunkett is not a top story because he was a #1 overall and got two shots. Basically he recovered from his sack-manic earlier years, he had the tools.

I mean, if we rank all the good quality backups that got shots because starter went down, especially in the 80s, it's gonna be a longer list.

Rypien is an interesting one, certainly great circumstance because he was a great long-ball guy that had the best offensive line maybe ever. So pure luck, not the best story. Doug Williams was inconsistent as hell his entire career, that's on him.

Nick Foles has also been inconsistent his entire career. Warner had a huge inconsistent streak in the middle of his career that lasted about 5 years at least. 

If we're throwing luck into the mix, Warner is a top dog in that area. Especially in 1999 with Mike Martz, Holt, and Faulk coming to the team. It was a perfect storm of circumstances that helped him. Even if you have the right pieces in place, it's still up to the quarterback to make the throws at the right time to the right man. Rypien did that in 1990 with that squad. 

Really though, there are a few stories of quarterbacks that have come from mothballs, and rose to the top. I'm not sure why OP decided that Warner/Foles are above the rest. 

23 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Nick Foles has also been inconsistent his entire career. Warner had a huge inconsistent streak in the middle of his career that lasted about 5 years at least.

Foles' inconsistency is overblown.

2013 is awesome

2014 he's 6-2 but has a few bad games denigrating his games

2015 No win situation in 11 games in St. Louis

2016 Starts 1 game

2017 Gamer

2018 Gamer

More consistent than a lot of flash in the pan guys. Warner from 2002-2006 was dealing with concussion issues. I really fear for that guy's future. He needed to rest seriously after 2003 and he finally got some rest and came back in 07.

2 hours ago, x0x said:

Foles' inconsistency is overblown.

2013 is awesome

2014 he's 6-2 but has a few bad games denigrating his games

2015 No win situation in 11 games in St. Louis

2016 Starts 1 game

2017 Gamer

2018 Gamer

More consistent than a lot of flash in the pan guys. Warner from 2002-2006 was dealing with concussion issues. I really fear for that guy's future. He needed to rest seriously after 2003 and he finally got some rest and came back in 07.

I mean...everyone can have excuses. They blame lack of a supporting cast. Or coaching. Or say they were in a bad situation or dealing with injuries. Warner started many games in that long stretch in the middle of his career. He just wasn't very good in most of them period, and I don't think those Giants and Cardinals squads were holding him back with their talent pool at the time.

Foles the last two years has been up and down for the Eagles in the games he's played. Last year leading up to the playoffs he was great against the Giants. Then pretty bad against Oakland. Average against Atlanta. Fortunately he had a fabulous 2 game stretch afterwards. I don't think the criticism of him being inconsistent is overblown at all. It's why he's a backup.

Archived