NFC Divisional Championship: Philadelphia Eagles (10-7) @ New Orleans Saints (13-3): Start cooking your Gumbo, bring our your elvis costumes and have your whiskey ready. It's playoff time

Canadian Saint

He can throw the ball 50+ yards sure.  But he can't do it accurately anymore because it takes too much effort mechanically.  When he tries to be accurate, it's gonna be underthrown due to lack of arm strength.  When he puts more strength on it, it's not gonna be on target.  He is sometimes accurate, but those times are few and far between.

The problem is simply he lacks the arm strength to throw deep balls accurately, not that he can't throw decently far if he wanted to.

I don't think it is just a lack of arm strength. I think he can still hit the deep ball (not as consistent as in his prime), but he has rarely attempted to do it this year. There is still a timing aspect in a real game situation that has hardly been done this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go back to the deep ball a couple times this weekend now that Ginn is running full speed. I have a feeling Brees doesn't under-throw that ball this week if he tries it again. If he hits Ginn that would obviously be great, if he overthrows him, I don't mind that either as it helps our offense just having a threat of a deep ball again, and should open things up a bit underneath for Thomas, and Kamara/Ingram in the run game.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I don't think it is just a lack of arm strength. I think he can still hit the deep ball (not as consistent as in his prime), but he has rarely attempted to do it this year. There is still a timing aspect in a real game situation that has hardly been done this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go back to the deep ball a couple times this weekend now that Ginn is running full speed. I have a feeling Brees doesn't under-throw that ball this week if he tries it again. If he hits Ginn that would obviously be great, if he overthrows him, I don't mind that either as it helps our offense just having a threat of a deep ball again, and should open things up a bit underneath for Thomas, and Kamara/Ingram in the run game.

One thing's for certain, the Rams won't be expecting the deep ball.

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

That immediately following a pump fake, a noticable amount of his bad throws this year have come after a pump fake. Idk what’s going on there.

I feel like every year we are here saying how Drew can't throw the deep ball anymore and then he has one of those games where he hits a couple of them and it's like, where did that come from. If he gets a clean pocket and the chance to set his feet, I think he can still hit the 55-60 yarder. But everything has to go perfectly.

We don't really ever take shot plays behind the 50 anyway, so IDK, it's enough. The other thing is, we could always use Taysom to throw the deep pass.

2 hours ago, Destructo Spin said:

I feel like every year we are here saying how Drew can't throw the deep ball anymore and then he has one of those games where he hits a couple of them and it's like, where did that come from. If he gets a clean pocket and the chance to set his feet, I think he can still hit the 55-60 yarder. But everything has to go perfectly.

We don't really ever take shot plays behind the 50 anyway, so IDK, it's enough. The other thing is, we could always use Taysom to throw the deep pass.

Honest question, has Drew ever been good at throwing the deep ball? I mean, 30 yards and under, the guy is money. But after that, I don't really recall him ever being the "hey, watch out for the deep ball" guy.

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Honest question, has Drew ever been good at throwing the deep ball? I mean, 30 yards and under, the guy is money. But after that, I don't really recall him ever being the "hey, watch out for the deep ball" guy.

I don't think he was ever the best deep ball guy, but he could make any deep throws anyone else could make outside maybe 1-2 guys any given year. He threw (I THINK) 63 air yards in the Pro Bowl challenge one year, so that ain't too shabby. That's different than hitting someone in stride, but he could really huck it good.

There was a time when, if Henderson or Meachem got behind the defense, it was a touchdown. He didn't miss those throws. 

I first started noticing he was missing them in 2013. But we had a lot of changes with the OL going on then. Carl Nicks and Jonathan Goodwin had left and Jahri Evans wasn't what he had been. The pocket hasn't been as clean since that happened.

I don't think Drew's arm is any weaker than it has been in the past. I do think that he has never had a great arm to begin with, so in order to make those throws the pocket has to be perfectly clean so he has time to be fundamental and step into his throws right. Everything has to go perfectly for him to be that accurate on the long ball now. And frankly our offensive lines have not been the same. I think think Peat/Unger/Warford is a real solid group but it's nothing like Nicks/Goodwin/Evans was back in the day. That bunch from 2009 was so good it didn't matter that we had average tackles.  

His arm has been getting weaker for a few years now.  This isn't a new thing.  This isn't Ginn being out all year, this isn't rust, he's getting older it happens.   Now those things might contribute, but they aren't the primary cause.  And he never had a strong arm to begin with.  He had a much better deep ball back in the day, but his arm strength was never that impressive, and he would always have the occasional underthrow, although the balls were getting downfield a lot quicker.  That he maybe can have a good day now and hit a few deep balls one game doesn't change anything.  If he can't do it consistently, he can't do it well.  I wanted to give it a chance to see if he could get better but it's been getting worse.  And I've been wanting us to run an offense like this since 2014, which is when I noticed there may be a problem and saw the Pats have so much success with it.  That he needed to be traded or cut or whatever though, was a silly thing for some fans to say.  A guy can be elite without a good deep ball, but it does present a potential weakness to exploit.  Still, i'd rather have an ultra efficient Brees money from 20 in that underthrows deep balls than any of those strong arm guys that toss picks every other throw and can maybe hit a slant 1 out of 4.

Maybe he can muster up some deep balls for the next game or two, but the days of him being a consistent threat deep are over.  At 40 years old it's only gonna get worse from here, although it remains to be seen whether or not he'll retire before it gets to zombie Manning levels.  If he can sustain his current ability next year, we'll be good.  

Wow, Rams fans are are going all in on this referee bit :D

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/15/rams-fans-launch-petition-to-remove-referee-from-saints-rams/

Here is a quote from the Rams forum:

As I said earlier in the thread, if we get Vinovitch, it means the NFL is stacking the deck to get Brees a final ring.

They are 100% prepared to scream "conspiracy" if they lose if there is a single questionable/bad call.

2 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

Wow, Rams fans are are going all in on this referee bit :D

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/15/rams-fans-launch-petition-to-remove-referee-from-saints-rams/

Here is a quote from the Rams forum:

They are 100% prepared to scream "conspiracy" if they lose if there is a single questionable/bad call.

This is not intended to be mean to you... who cares what they think. They've been crying and whining since we beat them earlier, talking about the refs etc... They forget the Saints were absolutely dominating them for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the game.

There are bad calls in every game. I didn't hear anyone b*tching about the "no calls" last week when the Eagles were constantly holding or interfering our receivers. The refs held their flags (except when they thought Peat needed a new yellow coat).

They can cry me a river, and then we'll let the Saints row that river to the Superbowl!! 

Does anyone else find it funny/ironic that after years of the NFL/Goodell coming down hard on the Saints organization, that now all of the sudden there's a conspiracy that the NFL/Goodell has it out for the Rams and want "Brees to get a final ring" so they're stacking the ref deck against the Rams?

Goodell can't stand the Saints/Payton. So what did the Rams org do? Pray tell!

30 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Does anyone else find it funny/ironic that after years of the NFL/Goodell coming down hard on the Saints organization, that now all of the sudden there's a conspiracy that the NFL/Goodell has it out for the Rams and want "Brees to get a final ring" so they're stacking the ref deck against the Rams?

Goodell can't stand the Saints/Payton. So what did the Rams org do? Pray tell!

Exactly.  The only team that Goodell hates more than the Saints/Payton is the Patriots & Brady/Belicheck

Archived