NFC Divisional Championship: Philadelphia Eagles (10-7) @ New Orleans Saints (13-3): Start cooking your Gumbo, bring our your elvis costumes and have your whiskey ready. It's playoff time

Canadian Saint

A big part of what hurt our defense early on was our CBs once again playing 5-10 yards off the LOS where Allen has mentioned previously that both Lattimore and Apple are very good at jamming at the LOS and playing from there.  We were giving WRs free reign to get into their routes and make cuts where any good throw would be an easy catch.  If our top 2 CBs are good playing man and up on the WRs, we need to let them do it.  Also the playoffs have shown that they are much more willing to allow handfighting between WRs and CBs, we need to take advantage of it like the Eagles and other teams are/will be.

We started off with exactly what people talk about, rust! Everything looked off, offense, defense, basically everything.

116 broke through that rust, along with some spark from our unsung hero, Taysom Hill, things really went positive from there.

I was a little concerned with our lack of ability to score late in the game, but we also have to realize that this Eagles defense is no joke. They were literally playing for everything in that fourth quarter.

This team is frustrating, yet so fun to watch. Really looking forward to next weekend's game!

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I’ve said it before, if we win the Super Bowl it’ll be because of our defense.  They essentially willed us to get the 1 seed at the end of the season when the offense was sputtering.  They had what 6 straight games holding teams to 14 or less. They gave up 13, 14 and 9 in a three road game stretch where we won 2/3.  We would have gone 0/3 and gotten blown out in years past.  And on multiple occasions now they’ve made clutch plays to seal the game.

I think this is the best defense we’ve had in the Sean Payton era.  If they had played like this at the beginning of the season it would be a top 3 unit.

Oh it's definitely our best defense under Payton IMO. 2013 is probably the next best candidate, top 5 in PPG but that defense just seemed to be so unclutch, always choking at the worst time.. 

This year we're elite but have the clutch to go with it. We just don't look as good in the numbers due to the first few bad weeks. 

15 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Oh it's definitely our best defense under Payton IMO. 2013 is probably the next best candidate, top 5 in PPG but that defense just seemed to be so unclutch, always choking at the worst time.. 

This year we're elite but have the clutch to go with it. We just don't look as good in the numbers due to the first few bad weeks. 

Our numbers were better in 2010 and 2013, but I think those defenses were clearly worse in the eye test.  In 2010 we played some garbage QBs.  2013 was a solid unit but I never had the same faith in them that I do this year.

Of course now that I say this they’ll get torched by the Rams.

39 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Our numbers were better in 2010 and 2013, but I think those defenses were clearly worse in the eye test.  In 2010 we played some garbage QBs.  2013 was a solid unit but I never had the same faith in them that I do this year.

Of course now that I say this they’ll get torched by the Rams.

2010 lost the right to that claim when they got murdered by Marshawn Lynch. 2010 defense were erased from the history books. RIP. 

6 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

2010 lost the right to that claim when they got murdered by Marshawn Lynch. 2010 defense were erased from the history books. RIP. 

Not only that, but they gave up 4 TDS and a 115 rating to Matt Hasselbeck.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Not only that, but they gave up 4 TDS and a 115 rating to Matt Hasselbeck.

Ugh, Matthew.... Good God.

I wonder what our answer will be for the Rams. How do we stuff that run?

We're going to have to put up 40 to win.

5 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I don't think our offense can compete in a shootout right now. Our Oline is a shell of itself and our entire offensive strategy rests on them. Drew Brees is a surgeon but he needs time. We are letting him get pressured by 6th string scrubs. Cox was out for 2 quarters and they were still in his face every play. If somehow magically it reverts to form we can win another 45-35 game. Otherwise if the Rams hang 30 on us that's probably enough to take it.

No, we need a defensive ground game right now. We have to force them to play it our way, like we got the Eagles to do yesterday. We need to have drives that take 11 minutes for only 7 points. We can't let the Rams drop 30 on us in 6 or 7, entirely possible for them. The Rams D is a whole lot stronger than is Philly's. The Rams O is a whole lot stronger, too. But they made mistakes last time. They can make them now. We can win it but probably 26-24 or 28-20 or something. Get them over 30 right now and I don't know if we can hang.

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Ugh, Matthew.... Good God.

I wonder what our answer will be for the Rams. How do we stuff that run?

2 hours ago, nolaexpat said:

I don't think our offense can compete in a shootout right now. Our Oline is a shell of itself and our entire offensive strategy rests on them. Drew Brees is a surgeon but he needs time. We are letting him get pressured by 6th string scrubs. Cox was out for 2 quarters and they were still in his face every play. If somehow magically it reverts to form we can win another 45-35 game. Otherwise if the Rams hang 30 on us that's probably enough to take it.

No, we need a defensive ground game right now. We have to force them to play it our way, like we got the Eagles to do yesterday. We need to have drives that take 11 minutes for only 7 points. We can't let the Rams drop 30 on is in 6 or 7, entirely possible for them. The Rams D is a whole lot stronger than is Philly's. The Rams O is a whole lot stronger, too. But they made mistakes last time. They can make them now. We can win it but probably 26-24 or 28-20 or something. Get them over 30 right now and I don't know if we can hang.

Agreed with both of you. Playing the run has been the one constant of this team all season and once again they'll need to be up to the task. The Rams running game just kinda feels... invigorated right now. Like they found a heretofore unknown energy when CJ Anderson joined the team. If nothing else they're rounding into peak form at the perfect time.

and Brees has to have a vintage game in order for us to win. Like 350 yards and 3 scores type game hopefully with no turnovers. I'd love to be wrong but I don't see the running game carrying us next week and I can't imagine us winning with anything less than 30. Could happen though!

3 hours ago, Fray32 said:

Agreed with both of you. Playing the run has been the one constant of this team all season and once again they'll need to be up to the task. The Rams running game just kinda feels... invigorated right now. Like they found a heretofore unknown energy when CJ Anderson joined the team. If nothing else they're rounding into peak form at the perfect time.

and Brees has to have a vintage game in order for us to win. Like 350 yards and 3 scores type game hopefully with no turnovers. I'd love to be wrong but I don't see the running game carrying us next week and I can't imagine us winning with anything less than 30. Could happen though!

Brees needs to find his arm......he underthrew 2 TDs against the Eagles. The first was an interception and the second was that long ball to Hill, where Hill had to try and come back for it.

Brees not being able to hit those long balls anymore is really what hurts this offense more than anything. 

5 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Brees needs to find his arm......he underthrew 2 TDs against the Eagles. The first was an interception and the second was that long ball to Hill, where Hill had to try and come back for it.

Brees not being able to hit those long balls anymore is really what hurts this offense more than anything. 

Serious question here. Do you think he can fix this with timing? I mean throw it just a split second sooner, or are the receivers running faster than he's used to, or what?

To continually be under throwing passes is concerning, so I just wonder if it's possible to develop the play faster so he can be on time.

On his under throws, he actually pumped and waited to release. So maybe he just thinks he can still do it, but it's certainly concerning.

4 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Serious question here. Do you think he can fix this with timing? I mean throw it just a split second sooner, or are the receivers running faster than he's used to, or what?

To continually be under throwing passes is concerning, so I just wonder if it's possible to develop the play faster so he can be on time.

On his under throws, he actually pumped and waited to release. So maybe he just thinks he can still do it, but it's certainly concerning.

It's not timing, his timing is spot on, his arm just isn't as strong as it use to be. Those routes need time to develop, so releasing it sooner means there's a good chance the receivers will not have created enough separation yet.

Age is just catching up to him. Happens to all of us. 

Part of it could be him just being a bit rusty. I know his arm isn't what it used to be, but I'd imagine he can still throw the ball 50+ yards through the air. However the combination of being off for about 3 weeks, and really not throwing many deep balls this year without having a deep threat such as Ginn most of the year may simply have effected his timing a bit on these throws. 

Archived