Season's Over Mock

Bowler1215

3 OT Dalton Risner Massie is a FA, RT is a big need

4 DE Anthony NelsonCan't have too many pass rushers

5 QB Will Grier We need a back up QB

7 Safety Mark McLaurin We could use depth here

7(Philly) Kicker  Austin Seibert,Even if we keep Parkey, he eneds competition

I don't think we kept Coward on our 53 all season just to draft a RT with our first pick

Honestly, I think Easton Stick out of NDSU would be a GREAT backup to 10. Very similar skill set, shouldn't miss a beat if he has to come in as far as play calling goes.

I think we're pretty good on our DL as far as backups go with 90, 95, 98, plus nick williams on our 53 all season. I think OLB would be a better pick, we need pass rushers, yes. Lynch is a FA, Acho is coming off a season ending injury and is in his 30's, and Floyd is a FA in a couple years.

I agree we could use some safety depth, especially if Amos leaves in FA

Punter would make more sense as a pick than kicker. Parkey is still under contract, and if he gets cut, i honestly think 9 is coming back to us. 

Love the Nelson pick if available, but I mocked him to us too so I'd seem stupid not to. lol

I feel like Risner is out of our draft spot, but if he fell to us I'd be damn happy. He and Coward could fight for the RT spot and the person who loses will be able to move to RG when Long gets hurt of if he is cut. I'm a fan of getting at least one OL in founds 3-5 every year, so even if Coward is the one the staff wants to be the RT, I like the pick.

I too prefer Stick but Grier could be a solid reserve potentially. With the QBs in this class he may sneak into the 3rd even though. I personally dislike him for b****ing out of Florida after his PED use was discovered though.

I know literally nothing of McLaurin to be honest.

Seibert concerns me with leg strength. Admittedly it is just boxscore scouting with him, but in 4 years he has tried only 3 50+ yarders, hitting only 1. Looking at the 40-49 range he has only a singe attempt last year 4 of 9 in his last 3 years. After starting strong with a 5/6 freshman year in the 40s that kinda baffles me.  Does he lack the leg strength to drive the ball consistently from there or what? Because the weather and wind in Chicago makes for a difficult place to kick in comparison to OK. I'm fine with going for a kicker, there will be punters who go undrafted and can compete, I want the best kicker I can realistically get.

22 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

3 OT Dalton Risner Massie is a FA, RT is a big need

4 DE Anthony NelsonCan't have too many pass rushers

5 QB Will Grier We need a back up QB

7 Safety Mark McLaurin We could use depth here

7(Philly) Kicker  Austin Seibert,Even if we keep Parkey, he eneds competition

I can't see Risner falling that far. He could be in play in round 1 to MIN or GB's pick from the Saints.

Nelson is a good pick, but pass rushers are typically over drafted so he probably goes higher.

Grier would be something and the meat heads would love it, but like pass rushers, QB's are over drafted. He'll go in the top 90, I'd assume.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Love the Nelson pick if available, but I mocked him to us too so I'd seem stupid not to. lol

I feel like Risner is out of our draft spot, but if he fell to us I'd be damn happy. He and Coward could fight for the RT spot and the person who loses will be able to move to RG when Long gets hurt of if he is cut. I'm a fan of getting at least one OL in founds 3-5 every year, so even if Coward is the one the staff wants to be the RT, I like the pick.

I too prefer Stick but Grier could be a solid reserve potentially. With the QBs in this class he may sneak into the 3rd even though. I personally dislike him for b****ing out of Florida after his PED use was discovered though.

I know literally nothing of McLaurin to be honest.

Seibert concerns me with leg strength. Admittedly it is just boxscore scouting with him, but in 4 years he has tried only 3 50+ yarders, hitting only 1. Looking at the 40-49 range he has only a singe attempt last year 4 of 9 in his last 3 years. After starting strong with a 5/6 freshman year in the 40s that kinda baffles me.  Does he lack the leg strength to drive the ball consistently from there or what? Because the weather and wind in Chicago makes for a difficult place to kick in comparison to OK. I'm fine with going for a kicker, there will be punters who go undrafted and can compete, I want the best kicker I can realistically get.

The kickers from LSU and San Diego State seem to be logical.

25 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I don't think we kept Coward on our 53 all season just to draft a RT with our first pick

Honestly, I think Easton Stick out of NDSU would be a GREAT backup to 10. Very similar skill set, shouldn't miss a beat if he has to come in as far as play calling goes.

I think we're pretty good on our DL as far as backups go with 90, 95, 98, plus nick williams on our 53 all season. I think OLB would be a better pick, we need pass rushers, yes. Lynch is a FA, Acho is coming off a season ending injury and is in his 30's, and Floyd is a FA in a couple years.

I agree we could use some safety depth, especially if Amos leaves in FA

Punter would make more sense as a pick than kicker. Parkey is still under contract, and if he gets cut, i honestly think 9 is coming back to us. 

I fear Gould will be tagged but if not I'd be curious to see how many years and AAV he'd be looking for

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't think the Bears have enough picks to draft a QB and certainly not enough to draft a kicker.

I have to respectfully disagree. In the 7th anything is fair game IMO.  If thou get donations making any positive impact there then you did great that late. Few 7th rounders reap any reward,  and you have a much better chance of getting a decent kicker than WR or OL that late due to the values placed upon those positions.  

I mean we got Leno which is an amazing pick there, but since 2000 the only other actual players we got in the 7th that actually played were Webb, Louis and Wilson I think. 

Add in how a kicker has been so detrimental to our season and I don't believe we can ever say one isn't worth a pick in the 7th. If I thought we were getting a franchise guy I'd draft sooner. Not Aguayo (sp) soon, but still. 

Edit - McBride too, he wasn't a starter but a core special team guy. Definitely good value for the pick. 

And I agree with Beardown, it would be good to see you post more. 

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I have to respectfully disagree. In the 7th anything is fair game IMO.  If thou get donations making any positive impact there then you did great that late. Few 7th rounders reap any reward,  and you have a much better chance of getting a decent kicker than WR or OL that late due to the values placed upon those positions.  

I mean we got Leno which is an amazing pick there, but since 2000 the only other actual players we got in the 7th that actually played were Webb, Louis and Wilson I think. 

Add in how a kicker has been so detrimental to our season and I don't believe we can ever say one isn't worth a pick in the 7th. If I thought we were getting a franchise guy I'd draft sooner. Not Aguayo (sp) soon, but still. 

Edit - McBride too, he wasn't a starter but a core special team guy. Definitely good value for the pick. 

And I agree with Beardown, it would be good to see you post more. 

I'm thinking more about depth here. The Bears will have to let some players walk over the next few offseasons and they won't have the money to add depth in free agency. The later picks will be important for filling out the roster and possibly finding some cheap impact players. Pace has shown a decent eye for late-round talent with picks like Nichols and Wims.

We also have to consider the difference between a drafted kicker and a UDFA. Given how many of the best kickers were undrafted, I think it could be argued that quality kickers can be found outside the draft. It's pretty easy to attract UDFA kickers to whom you can offer a starting opportunity.

7 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm thinking more about depth here. The Bears will have to let some players walk over the next few offseasons and they won't have the money to add depth in free agency. The later picks will be important for filling out the roster and possibly finding some cheap impact players. Pace has shown a decent eye for late-round talent with picks like Nichols and Wims.

We also have to consider the difference between a drafted kicker and a UDFA. Given how many of the best kickers were undrafted, I think it could be argued that quality kickers can be found outside the draft. It's pretty easy to attract UDFA kickers to whom you can offer a starting opportunity.

Good point but Bears have I believe two 7th round picks this year.  I wouldn't hesitate to use one of those on a kicker if you have conviction on that player.  UDFA is a crapshoot and sometimes you have to overpay to get guys you want.

When making these posts remember we kind of know Pace theory of drafting/team building now from interviews and practice, unless you are doing what you would do in his position:

He values QB, pass rusher and CB higher than any other positions because of scarcity of those positions (I think OTs should be in there too, but that is me, not him).

He doesn't want to have a glaring need going into a draft because he wants to draft guys he has targeted and not have to fill a position.  He will try to fill every hole with a FA before the draft even if it is just a serviceable miminum guy so he can draft a playmaker or a high potential guy he has targeted.  

So essentially his goal is to have a working roster he can play with before any draft.  Note, he started this after Floyd draft which I think was still a needs based draft as was his first draft.  I think he evolved to his current philosophy through trial and error.  

Remember too that Fox and Fangio were pounding the table hard for Floyd.  I don't think Pace was as high on Floyd as Fox and Fangio were.  You have two old unhappy coaches in your ear, guys who don't trust or respect you yet, and you have to throw them a bone.  I think that was, at least partially, make a coach happy and keep the peace and locker room pick.  Not that he didn't want Floyd.   But I think he was talked into it and made himself believe it reading between lines of comments made.  First draft was all Pace and so were last two.  I think 2nd draft was influenced, at least Floyd pick was.  

I think he is obviously improving and getting better at his job and why we are seeing these great drafts in last two.  Not sure why that would shock people.  Most people get better at things with practice and experience.  Especially those who study and look to improve.  

As for QB, I think this is where Nagy has a bunch of input.  Nagy wants a guy he trusts (Daniel) and a guy to develop (MT right now).  Once MT is developed then they will jettison the veteran back ups and go for young talent to develop.

Archived