NFL Divisional Round - Chargers vs Patriots

Webmaster

37 minutes ago, game3525 said:

They should put Gilmore on Mike Williams and then double Keenan. 

Melvin Gordon is also a big threat in the receiving game.  In addition, what about Tyrell Williams, Gates, etc?  Can those guys all be consistently covered by linebackers and 3rd/4th string CB's with no help?

54 minutes ago, showtime said:

Melvin Gordon is also a big threat in the receiving game.  In addition, what about Tyrell Williams, Gates, etc?  Can those guys all be consistently covered by linebackers and 3rd/4th string CB's with no help?

Yeah, it is pick your poison. 

I know the Pats are the Pats, but this isn't a good matchup for them defensively IMO. 

Curious how many snaps Hunter Henry will get? Rivers said he was very close to playing at the Ravens. My guess is they held him out because of the play style they wanted for the Ravens rather than health. Getting someone like that should have a huge impact on the offense, similar to Bosa coming back to this defense late in the year. 

I'm ready to see this Chargers team run the table and get all of those years of "what ifs" behind them. Let Rivers and Gates hold that trophy up together... 

• Like 1

I think the Chargers are overall the better team, but it comes down to who plays the best that day. Since the Pats lack a deep threat, making Brady miserable--and wreaking havoc on the dink-and-dunk passing game he favors anyway--should be the focus. At the same time the offense has to show up. Rivers must have a better game than he played against Baltimore.

The Chargers are the best road team in the NFL, but they've come up short against the Patriots before. I hope this is the year they get over the hump.

tfw I don't get called out by webby to be more active. Not a Chargers fan but still feels bad man.

On topic: this is the first divisional round matchup featuring the Patriots in a loooong time that *doesn't* feel like a foregone conclusion as soon as the wildcards are finished fighting each other for the privilege to be personally sent home by TB12 himself. Low key very glad the Colts got the upset, I don't think the Texans had it in them.

Edited by Fray32

Hopefully we force New England to deal with Ekelor and Gordon on the field at the same time.  We need to get the screens going early on, force New Englands Linebackers to cover a lot of ground. If Hunter is available that will be a mismatch to look at all game long. Mike Williams is going to have to have a big game because I expect the Patriots to blanket KA13.

defensively... can’t miss tackles. Addae needs to not screw this up. We have no inside pressure to get to Brady so Bosa/Ingram are going to have to be moved around and the James/King blitz needs to be on speed dial.

special team will put us in a hole like usual. Offense is going to have to perform well in the cold. Hopefully the field is dry, cold doesn’t bother me as much as any kind of wet. If it’s a wet day our offense is going to have a ton of problems. 

2 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Hopefully we force New England to deal with Ekelor and Gordon on the field at the same time.  We need to get the screens going early on, force New Englands Linebackers to cover a lot of ground. If Hunter is available that will be a mismatch to look at all game long. Mike Williams is going to have to have a big game because I expect the Patriots to blanket KA13.

defensively... can’t miss tackles. Addae needs to not screw this up. We have no inside pressure to get to Brady so Bosa/Ingram are going to have to be moved around and the James/King blitz needs to be on speed dial.

special team will put us in a hole like usual. Offense is going to have to perform well in the cold. Hopefully the field is dry, cold doesn’t bother me as much as any kind of wet. If it’s a wet day our offense is going to have a ton of problems. 

The only problem with special teams is when we have to punt it deep in our area. Which is still better than all the numerous problems that we had last year and earlier this year before Badgley showed up. It's also nice that King is such a good returner.

11 hours ago, Fray32 said:

tfw I don't get called out by webby to be more active. Not a Chargers fan but still feels bad man.

Don't feel bad.  I just mentioned the members I knew were Chargers fans.  I couldn't mention everyone.  Hang out in here and discuss the game.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

The only problem with special teams is when we have to punt it deep in our area. Which is still better than all the numerous problems that we had last year and earlier this year before Badgley showed up. It's also nice that King is such a good returner.

The Pats are also not as good on ST as they have been in years past. Which is a plus for us. 

• Like 1