NFL Divisional Round - Chargers vs Patriots

Webmaster

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

This is a joke, the Charges  don't belong in the playoffs. 

Easy to say that now but this is the only game we've been blown out all year. Chargers have to move on from Whiz after this year though obviously doesn't have what it takes to gameplan against great QBs. 

2 minutes ago, Classic said:

Easy to say that now but this is the only game we've been blown out all year. Chargers have to move on from Whiz after this year though obviously doesn't have what it takes to gameplan against great QBs. 

I don't think its as much Whiz as Gus went from an amazing gameplan vs Ravens to... forgetting to show up. 

The problem on offense is what it has been for years, the offensive line being dominated. Chargers have very good skill players but they can't work if the line doesn't block especially with the interior pressures. They tried to stock up 2 years ago with the "top 2" guards in the draft, one just isn't very good and the other appears to have lost all ability after the ACL tear before they played a snap in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Zappaz said:

I don't think its as much Whiz as Gus went from an amazing gameplan vs Ravens to... forgetting to show up. 

The problem on offense is what it has been for years, the offensive line being dominated. Chargers have very good skill players but they can't work if the line doesn't block especially with the interior pressures. They tried to stock up 2 years ago with the "top 2" guards in the draft, one just isn't very good and the other appears to have lost all ability after the ACL tear before they played a snap in the NFL. 

I agree with most of what you said but the thing is Whiz knew we don't have a good OL yet he calls 7 step drop backs. Gus is having a horrid day but he should be brought back next year because the teams plays to well on defense. The Lamp issue is on Lynn and Telesco for not getting some other OL in here because Dan Feeney imo shouldn't be starting at all.

27 minutes ago, Zappaz said:

Not having any decent linebackers finally showed its ugly head.

23 minutes ago, Classic said:

I agree with most of what you said but the thing is Whiz knew we don't have a good OL yet he calls 7 step drop backs. Gus is having a horrid day but he should be brought back next year because the teams plays to well on defense. The Lamp issue is on Lynn and Telesco for not getting some other OL in here because Dan Feeney imo shouldn't be starting at all.

This part is confusing to me. Whiz was also responsible for the quick strike attack in 2013. What happened?

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

This part is confusing to me. Whiz was also responsible for the quick strike attack in 2013. What happened?

Whiz has falling too much in love with the big play. It has been like that the entire year and it finally caught up with the Chargers in the last month of the season. If they want to play like that then they have to get some NFL talent at the guard position. Rivers was under pressure on 71% of his drop backs today, that is unacceptable given the Pats are one of the worst pass-rushing teams in the league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Whiz has falling too much in love with the big play. It has been like that the entire year and it finally caught up with the Chargers in the last month of the season. If they want to play like that then they have to get some NFL talent at the guard position. Rivers was under pressure on 71% of his drop backs today, that is unacceptable given the Pats are one of the worst pass-rushing teams in the league. 

Not sure why we didn't just keep dinking and dunking like Brady did all game. We can only do the deep passes if we have a running game. Otherwise neither of our guards can pass protect. This reminds me of Norv's offense towards the end when we couldn't pass protect at all.

Edited by Xenos

On 1/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, Duffman57 said:

Been crazy busy moving to chicago and starting a new job and all that this week, but I can give a few tidbits as to what I've seen.

This is the first time in a LONG time I've seen a team that's motivated, and while Anthony Lynn may have caught a lot of **** for not having a ton of coaching experience, the guy has built a culture like no other here. He is the perfect balance of motivator and controlling, but defers to his coaching staff who are more knowledgeable, and that's how you win in the playoffs.  You don't put too much on your plate and focus on the big picture as a coach.

This is a crazy matchup.  Chargers are undefeated outside of LA, and the Pats are undefeated at home. This is kind of the classic new kids on the block that want to take over for the old guys who have ran the league matchup.  This team has the right attitude to come in here and take it to the Pats.

IMO, this is a VERY bad matchup for the Pats in terms of the Pats O vs our D.  They key to rattling Brady is to get pressure not only frmo 4 men rushing, but make sure that the pressure is coming from all over (It's really important to get inside pressure on Brady IMO).  The way we move guys around (particularly Ingram) to rush from inside and out is going to be a huge challenge for Brady. We have the pieces to match up with Gronk (Derwin is one of the few guys who are not only athletic, but the underrated part of this is that he's long enough to play with him (33" arms for a S is freakish, that's DE length right there....).  King/Edelman matchup is going to be really fun to watch.  What it's going to come down to is how the LB/S's play.  Getting Mebane back is going to be absolutely huge, as it takes Square off the field more, who isn't a great fit for NT, but I love giving him spot snaps as he just brings SO much energy. Phillips will play a huge part in this game if he's asked to play the Will.  If he can play as physical as he did last week, then this game is going to go very well. 

On offense, I think the key for the Chargers is going to be ball control.  IMO it's a pretty simple formula, we're going to need to kill them on the ground, and get a few deep shots in. Ekeler, once again, is going to be HUGE, as he may be up there with the best pass protecting backs in the league (which is probably his most underrated trait).  The scheme vs Phil is going to be really good, we know that from Beilchick.  But Rivers needs to keep doing exactly what he's done in the past few weeks. We need conservative Phil.  He's almost turned into a game manager the last few weeks, and that's exactly what I want to see from him. I think a ~200yd, 1 TD, 0 Turnover performance wins this game for us if this D plays like it should. The key to our passing game is how Henry, Ekeler/Gordon, and the Williams' (and Benjamin....really whoever is in the slot) fare.  We're going to need to attack the LB/S's and the CB depth from the Pats. I don't think the game plan is going to be about throwing deep or getting KA a big game, as the last 2 people you want to test on this D are Gilmore/McCourty deep. 

I don't know if it's the injuries finally catching up to us, but the D definitely didn't play like it should. It was just weird that we didn't press their receivers and try to pressure Brady up the middle. And the offense kept trying to go for the big play instead of the shorter quicker throws like New England did with Brady.

31 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Not sure why we didn't just keep dinking and dunking like Brady did all game. We can only do the deep passes if we have a running game. Otherwise neither of our guards can pass protect. This reminds me of Norv's offense towards the end when we couldn't pass protect at all.

Like I said that hasn't been Whiz's MO all year. Also, defense put us in a hole early so we had to attack down the field.

Just now, game3525 said:

Like I said that hasn't been Whiz's MO all year. Also, defense put us in a hole early so we had to attack down the field.

Do you think it's time for a new OC? If you do, who do you think we could realistically get?

Just now, Xenos said:

Do you think it's time for a new OC? If you do, who do you think we could realistically get?

I don't think so.

Whiz has his faults. But this was still a top 5 offense and Rivers had his best overall season since 2013. They do need to upgrade the interior though. They can't expect Rivers to keep bailing them out, it is just not sustainable no matter how good he is. 

I know everyone (myself included) is disappointed but let’s look at this realistically.  

1) We’re playing games with Michael Schofield, Dan Feeny and Sam Tevi starting on the offensive line.  That needs upgraded 

2) On the flip side, our interior defensive line needs beefed up 

3) Our linebackers today were Hayes Pullard and Kyle Emmanuel.  That’s brutal. 

We had a great season 12-4 and a playoff win, I think with this unit is a good accomplishment.  We weren’t gonna win the Super Bowl with those holes, you’re really kidding yourself if you thought that.  Would have liked to have seen Gus gamble more on D today to give us a punchers chance but it was clear early on that the Patriots were the bigger more physical team.  Sorry but you’re just not gonna win those games.  

• Like 1

This excerpt by a reporter says it all about this game.

Aaron Schatz:

A final thought about the Patriots-Chargers game. There are really two mindsets in the NFL when it comes to coaching and game plan. The first mindset is "we're going to find and attack your weakness." That's the Belichick mindset. The second mindset is "we do the thing we do, and we dare you to beat it." This is how the Peyton Manning offense worked. And this seems to be the mindset of the Pete Carroll family of coaches. When the Legion of Boom was in its heyday, the Seahawks ran their Cover-3 system and they knew they had great players and they dared you to beat it. Well, I think Gus Bradley came out today with that mindset. This is what the Chargers do: they play Cover-3, they don't blitz, and they dare you to beat that defensive scheme. And the problem is that Brady eats the Cover-3 for breakfast. And thus, he did. And the best way to stop him over the last two seasons has been the blitz. And the Chargers never even tried.